[SOLVED] RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio 2 out of 3 fans not spinning

Dec 21, 2020
Hello,

I was lucky to get my hands on an MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio.
A few days ago I noticed really high temperatures in longer gaming sessions. I checked and noticed that only one fan is spinning and the GPU is at around 85°C.
No matter the temperature I can't get the other two fans to spin.

Checking in MSI Afterburner I can see two fan speeds and setting it manually affects both graphs, but only one fan is spinning.
At startup the two fans are also dead and I have already checked with a different PSU - same behavior.
Any idea what I can do? Help would be much appreciated.

Solution
I just noticed that, if I unlink the fans in Afterburner that "both" (2 are probably grouped together) fans should be spinning right now.
So I guess that indicates a hardware issue right?

Those fan should be running when the GPU is at 85C for sure. Some GPU can control fan like that and sometime it can make 1 not run etc depending on the temperature but this isn't the case here. Those 2 fans doesn't even move at all in any condition.

I know this isn't a good time to be returning a RTX card but I think you have no choice.
When you start your system all the fan should be spinning for a few seconds at max speed. So 2 of the 3 fan are not spinning even at boot for a few seconds?

If those fan does not start at 85C with a custom fan curve on MSI Afterburner it's probably a faulty fan controller on the GPU itself or the fans are dead.

That 3080 is under warranty so I guess RMA time? :S

It's a shame tho. Gaming X series are good card with good cooling.

Dec 21, 2020
When you start your system all the fan should be spinning for a few seconds at max speed. So 2 of the 3 fan are not spinning even at boot for a few seconds?

If those fan does not start at 85C with a custom fan curve on MSI Afterburner it's probably a faulty fan controller on the GPU itself or the fans are dead.

That 3080 is under warranty so I guess RMA time? :S

It's a shame tho. Gaming X series are good card with good cooling.

Yeah those two fans are just dead, also during startup. Is there a way to check, if they are plugged in properly without taking the whole thing apart?

Dec 21, 2020
I have no idea if you can see the fans cable without taking the whole thing apart but doing so would void the warranty for sure.

I just noticed that, if I unlink the fans in Afterburner that "both" (2 are probably grouped together) fans should be spinning right now.

Those fan should be running when the GPU is at 85C for sure. Some GPU can control fan like that and sometime it can make 1 not run etc depending on the temperature but this isn't the case here. Those 2 fans doesn't even move at all in any condition.

I know this isn't a good time to be returning a RTX card but I think you have no choice.

Solution
Dec 21, 2020

Just checked for the connectors and you can see both of them from the side. Sadly, they are also not the problem. Both are fine and properly connected.
Looks like I have no choice. RIP me I guess.

Thanks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS