Question RTX 3080 heating up to 60°C causing the fans to kick in on idle with DisplayPort at 1440p 240 Hz ?

Sean16

Reputable
Feb 24, 2020
Hi there.

I recently purchased the Samsung Odyssey G7 and for a few days have had it connected to my RTX 3080 via DisplayPort. The monitor's resolution is 1440p and I have the refresh rate set at 240 Hz. I've noticed something while idling though, where my GPU will heat up from around 40° C to over 60°C when displaying Facebook or a Community Content tab under a game in Steam, which causes the GPU fans to ramp up and bring the temperature back down to 40°C. This happens even with only programme running, whether it be Edge or Steam, where there seems to be a lot of multimedia on screen. I'm not running a game when this happens and am simply viewing images. Surprisingly, this does not happen when watching a video on YouTube.

Before switching to DisplayPort, I had the monitor connected via HDMI and had the refresh rate set at 144 Hz. My GPU idled around 40-45°C while doing the above and the GPU fans only kicked in in-game. I switched back to a refresh rate of 144 Hz with DisplayPort and am still having the issue. It's a little annoying to suddenly hear the GPU fans kick in while doing something that's not very demanding on the system. I'm thinking that DisplayPort makes the GPU run hotter than HDMI or the monitor is somehow drawing more power or voltage from the GPU, but I don't really understand why. As I said, even switching back down to 144 Hz with DisplayPort produces the same issue. Even in-game the fans are much louder at 144 Hz with DP than with 144 Hz with HDMI so I've just switched it back to 240 Hz for now because there doesn't seem to be much of a difference.

I've yet to set a fan curve on my GPU because I'm a little unsure as to how to do it properly but I'm not sure if it'll fix my issue. The average idle temperature at the moment is around 50°C and the GPU fans seem to kick in at around just above 60°C and then shut off again at 40°C. I have a fan curve set for my case fans through FanControl by rem0o to work at 45% from 20°C to 65°C and 90% at 90°C for my CPU, and at 45% from 20°C to 50°C and 60% at 70°C for my GPU. I have 3 front case fans and 1 rear case fan. I was thinking of setting a separate fan curve for the GPU fans themselves through MSI Afterburner. FanControl only seems to be picking up 2 of my 3 GPU fans.

My specs are:
  • Case: CoolerMaster Masterbox TD500 Mesh
  • Motherboard: ASUS Rog Strix B550-F Gaming
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
  • CPU cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i Elite
  • GPU: Palit GeForce RTX 3080
  • RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 x 16GB)
  • SSDs: 1x 500GB Samsung 980 Pro, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro
  • PSU: Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold
  • Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p, 240 Hz)
I have no idea what's causing the GPU to increase in temperature with DisplayPort while viewing only images but would greatly appreciate any advice. It's been fluctuating way more than it did with HDMI, which seemed to only go to a maximum of around 45°C on idle.

Thanks.