Oct 7, 2017
Hey guys.

Currently running

Gpu: Asus RTX 3080 Rog strix v2 OC
Cpu: i7 9700k
Motherboard: Z390-e
32gb Trident z g skill ram (8x4)
3 Samsung SSDs.
Os is installed on 500gb ssd (Samsung 860)
Psu: Asus Thor 1200w
Aio: nzxt kraken z73
6 Lian Li sl 120 fans.
Case: Asus Helios
Monitor: Alienware aw3821dw

So I just upgraded my PC from a 2080 to 3080, switched my psu from a 850 to 1200, and replaced a couple fans. I'm bummed that my games are stuttering a bit (witcher 3, tarkov, pubg, hunt showdown). It's like a massive fps drop. In pub g, my game was at 10fps for 3sec before it went back to normal.

I did a ddu driver cleaner and that didn't work. My options are a complete windows re install, and maybe switch out my drives to 2 new nvme 970 plus.

I'm really hoping I don't need a new cpu or motherboard but guys, what should I be looking at that would indicate this is a cpu issue. I know some people say the 9700k is fine for a 3080 but how would I know for sure if it is? I did have task manager open but it is saying my GPU is at 3 percent and cpu at 50-60 for pub g. When I used Nvidia overlay my GPU was at 98 percent and cpu at 50-60. My temps are really good so it's not thermal throttling. I get 70 degrees GPU max and 64 max for cpu.

For witcher, if I load in and stand still the games seems to run fine, but as soon as I take a step the screen freezes for 0.8 sec then go back to normal fps. I'm at a complete loss.

Could my GPU be the culprit? I do have quite a few RGB software applications in the background but my PC should be able to handle that.

Idle cpu usage is roughly 9-15 (g skill Trident takes up 6 percent)

Need any help I could get.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
what should I be looking at that would indicate this is a cpu issue. I know some people say the 9700k is fine for a 3080 but how would I know for sure if it is?
Using either HWINFO or Afterburner: Monitor usage on EACH CORE.

If those check out fine, then do something similar with the gpu. Can use either HWINFO or Gpu-Z(sensors tab).
Core, hot spot, and memory junction temperatures.
Gpu core clock dropping below base clock.
Performance Cap Reason. It says why the gpu can't boost further. There's always at least one reason active, besides not being able to boost to infinity.

If even that checks out fine, then maybe an in game or NVCP control panel setting is at fault, or a combination of the 2 that didn't yield a problem with the 2080. Not sure on that one.