[SOLVED] RTX 3080 - Is this amount of coil whine normal?

MPTyros

Prominent
Feb 2, 2021
I recently got a 3080 and put together a mostly new build. The card is great as far as gaming performance goes, but I'm wondering if this level of coil whine is normal. If its normal then I guess I'm willing to live with it, but I figured I'd try to get some opinions before I return it. Sorry if this is asked a lot, I just don't have any other 30xx cards to compare it to. The video is taken while Control is running on High with Ray Tracing and DLSS on. I haven't overclocked yet.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gJWcvAnCUE

I knew to expect some, but I guess its more than I had anticipated. I'm getting a lot more than I'd ever had with previous cards like the 2080 or 1080, which never really bothered me. I've never really considered myself a silence freak when it comes to PCs, but the noise does sometimes cut through my headphones depending on the game. I know its harmless, but it can be pretty distracting as the noise often pitches up and down quickly depending on the amount of stuff happening in games.

I've read threads that suggest letting a benchmark run for 24 hours to break it in, which didn't have any impact on my card so far. I've also undervolted it, which does help a little bit. I've also read that some people will disassemble their cards and use hot glue on the component that is vibrating, which I'm honestly too nervous to try at the moment (would also void the warranty).

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 3080-O12G OC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 4 x 8GB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Model F4-3600C16Q-32GTZRC
PSU: Corsair RM850X (2021 ver)

Solution
I heard a little variation that I assume was the whine, really helps to have a dynamic scene so that the whine changes. Mine is probably as loud or louder, particularly on games that don't seem to limit FPS output in menus and such.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I heard a little variation that I assume was the whine, really helps to have a dynamic scene so that the whine changes. Mine is probably as loud or louder, particularly on games that don't seem to limit FPS output in menus and such.

Solution