[SOLVED] rtx 3080 motherboard,bottle necking

Jul 22, 2020
Hi, i am thinking of upgrading my gpu to the new rtx 3080 and i was wondering if the motherboard i have would be compatible and or if my cpu is strong enough.
i have the asus prime Z390 series
and the i7-9700K
i just need to know if i need to upgrade or not. thank you

Solution
It’s still one of the strongest gaming CPU’s on the market. What would you upgrade too that’s materially better? As for motherboard it has been debated in many threads if pcie 4.0 will bring any benefit. The views swing from it definitely won’t to it definitely will. Ultimately we won’t know until the reviews and benchmarks are in. However let’s assume it does it will be interesting as Intel doesn’t have a pcie 4.0 platform yet.
It’s still one of the strongest gaming CPU’s on the market. What would you upgrade too that’s materially better? As for motherboard it has been debated in many threads if pcie 4.0 will bring any benefit. The views swing from it definitely won’t to it definitely will. Ultimately we won’t know until the reviews and benchmarks are in. However let’s assume it does it will be interesting as Intel doesn’t have a pcie 4.0 platform yet.

Solution
Aug 26, 2020
Doubtful that PCIE 4.0 will give any huge benefit, from everything i've read 2080ti's don't even utilize the full 3.0. I can't see PCIE 4.0 giving such a substantial boost in performance that Everyone jumps to AMD for it which would then force Intel into releasing MOBO's with it early..

The GPU's will work without it, so should be fine. MOBO + CPU are still good.