[SOLVED] RTX 3080 MOTHERBOARD REQUIREMENT?

Sep 2, 2020
Hi guys I was just wondering if my MSI PRO B450M PRO-M2 MAX will work with the new RTX 3080 coming out or will I have to change??

Solution
That power supply isn't going to cut it with the RTX 3080. It's not an especially good model to begin with, more like mediocre at best, and it's below the recommended spec of 750w per Nvidia specifications. And that's for the reference models. The aftermarket models, with higher clocks and other configuration changes will likely require at least nominally higher capacity power supplies, but as always, it is best to simply WAIT for more information and reviews before doing anything at all.
That power supply isn't going to cut it with the RTX 3080. It's not an especially good model to begin with, more like mediocre at best, and it's below the recommended spec of 750w per Nvidia specifications. And that's for the reference models. The aftermarket models, with higher clocks and other configuration changes will likely require at least nominally higher capacity power supplies, but as always, it is best to simply WAIT for more information and reviews before doing anything at all.

Solution
Sep 2, 2020
Yeah I thought so, I was at the end with funding when it comes to the PSU but no big deal, I will see to the reviews and info published about the card but thanks for the help!

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
It is worth noticing that the 750 Watt recommendation by Nvidia is probably because they assume the customer might not have the best quality 80+ Gold or better PSU perhaps some customers will have a power supply that have a divided 12 V rail and can not deliver all the power needed for a single rail so hence the recommendation. If you have a good quality 700 Watt one then that will most likely cut it no problem. Steve at Gamers nexus released a video on this topic a couple of days ago I recommend a watch:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_wtoCBahhM

Of course it's because they assume that. But as I also said, the requirement is for a REFERENCE card, which always uses LESS power than the aftermarket models. So if the reference card recommendation is for a mediocre 750w unit the aftermarket cards are probably going to be calling for an 850w unit. That means you can probably assume that a GOOD 750w unit would be sufficient but the Thermaltake Smart RGB is neither GOOD nor is it 750w. So it will be underpowered and less than desirable quality.

Keep in mind, most veteran members and moderators don't need to watch a video to learn the things you just learned a couple of days ago, because we've been doing this since before Steve was born. Which is NOT to say that he doesn't often have things to say that are both eye opening and insightful, because he does.

What resolution and frequency is your monitor?
What do you mean by "frequency". Do you mean "refresh rate"? Because if you mean refresh rate, you should say refresh rate, not frequency. Frequency is a consideration for hardware like your CPU and memory, not so much for displays, although, to some degree the frequency could probably be construed as the refresh rate, but that's not typically how it's referred to.

You'll have to get the RTX 3070 if you don't want to upgrade your PSU. If you do upgrade the PSU don't just simply go buy one. See what your options are for the price you're looking for and do at least some research. Also if the ones you're seeing aren't getting high scores seriously consider upping your price. Jonnyguru is an excellent source.