[SOLVED] RTX 3080 not working as intended

w1418826

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
So, was playing a game up until 2am last night, got up today and the gpu is not working correctly.

It natively displays 4k on the desktop, however it was showing 1080p initially today.

I then restarted the pc, the resolution defaulted itself back to 4k however when a game is launched there is no reaction from the gpu.

It stays in calm cool mode, fans do spin however not fast as it is not being needed to do so. temps stay around mid 40's c. I attempted to update drivers, which was odd because when I first did this I ran a quick stress test and it seemed to have solved the issue as the test showed normal operating numbers however it quickly reformed back to not working.

I then went ahead and went into safe mode, used display driver uninstaller software and used it to remove all display driver remnants. I then reinstalled the display drivers from nvidia's website from a clean download.

Same issue persists. I do not know what happened in that 8 hour span I was asleep but the gpu is not functioning as intended.

Any thoughts on whats wrong? Display out is fine, temps are fine, fans are working fine, drivers I believe are not the issue any longer, gpu looks fine no flashing warning lights on the crad at all, no crashing or blue screens or anything..

I do have cable extentions from the psu (which is a nzxt c850 gold) to the gpu so idk if it could be a cabling issue not delivering enough juice or what.. feels like a possible software issue, something telling the gpu to hold back but I am not sure. I do use msi afterburner for mainly gpu fan curve as well.

Full system specs:

MB: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi

PSU: NZXT C850 Gold (only a few months old, great condition)

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

GPU: Evga RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra (Drivers updated to latest)

Memory: 32GB G. Skill Trident Z 3600 CL 17

Drives: PNY CS900 240GB SATA SSD (as boot device, 84 GB only used on this ),
1TB Adata XPG SX8200 Pro NVME SSD (671GB used on this),
2TB Mushkin MKNSSDS22TB SATA SSD (204GB used on this),
1 TB WD Blue HDD (299GB used on this).
HDD is the oldest drive followed by the boot drive thats 2 yrs old, NVME drive is probably 1.5 yrs old, and the 2 TB sata drive is only a couple months old.

Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO

Fans: Coolermaster Masterfans MF120 Halos (3 intake, 3 exhaust)

Case: Phanteks P400S with mesh front panel

Operating system is windows 10 Build 19043.1348

[ Note Moderator edited to break up solid wall of text.]

Last edited:
Solution
I do have cable extentions from the psu (which is a nzxt c850 gold) to the gpu so idk if it could be a cabling issue not delivering enough juice or what
Then remove the extensions and use only the PCIe cables that came with the psu.
If that doesn't work, then the card's probably stopping itself from boosting normally due to a short that it detects somewhere.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I do have cable extentions from the psu (which is a nzxt c850 gold) to the gpu so idk if it could be a cabling issue not delivering enough juice or what
Then remove the extensions and use only the PCIe cables that came with the psu.
If that doesn't work, then the card's probably stopping itself from boosting normally due to a short that it detects somewhere.

Solution