Question RTX 3080 - Omen (Transferred to new computer)

Apr 11, 2023
Hey

I'm new around, and new to building and details around PCs in general. Little bit concerned about temperatures.

I have a new build including following components:
Case: Fractal North case (Mesh)
MB: MSI Z790P WiFi
CPU: i9 13900k
RAM: Trident Z5 DDR5 6000Mhz (32GB)
PSU: 850W Seasonic G+
GPU: RTX 3080 from Omen PC
CPU Cooler: H100i AIO
Fans from Noctua + original fans in front in directions recommended by fractal.

I'm experiencing what I consider very high temperatures from my "new" RTX3080.
Simple games such as Overwatch at lower than optimal settings (Nvidia Geforce Experience) makes the card go all out on fans 3450RPM and temperatures increase immediately.
GPU Temperatures goes straight up to 80° C under these conditions, and lighter (WoW Classic), and hotspot temperatures go under these conditions up to 105° C+.

There has been no throttling or shutdowns, but when the temperature was creeping up towards 110° C (Hotspot) and 90+° C while playing Insurgency: Sandstorm and Space Engineers, I did not feel comfortable.

My old computer with 2070S, i7 8700k did not have temperatures close to the current temperatures at all, so it's not me trying to find issues as I've always kept an eye on it.

Is there any suggestions to what can cause this? Is this an issue? Is there other people with similar cards or close to that can share their temperatures with me?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hi,

The completely meshed side panel appears to allow air from the front fans to leak out before it gets to the gpu. There's no more tunnel effect.
I believe you're going to have to go the vertical gpu route to counteract that and make the most of the meshed panel.

My old computer with 2070S, i7 8700k did not have temperatures close to the current temperatures at all, so it's not me trying to find issues as I've always kept an eye on it.
Those parts at least aren't as capable of drawing the power the new ones can do, so that's not a fair comparison.

Apr 11, 2023
Hi,

The completely meshed side panel appears to allow air from the front fans to leak out before it gets to the gpu. There's no more tunnel effect.
I believe you're going to have to go the vertical gpu route to counteract that and make the most of the meshed panel.
Thanks for your answer.
I have 2x 140MM side mounted fans (Noctua) to the mesh in the middle setting in the mesh panel.
The GPU still fires up to 100% utilization, 3450RPM fans (max) and 106+C hotspot (83C GPU) in WoW Classic (144fps).
This shouldn't be the case even if airflow is questionable, should it? A 3080 should pull that game, and others with ease I thought.

Apr 11, 2023
Why? They're probably fighting the gpu's fans.
You're quick on the replies, appreciate it :)
I'm new to building, and I've read page up and page down on forums, reviews and everything in between.
I've found articles saying mesh side is the better option for GPU cooling, and from Fractals own website where they post pictures with dual 140mm fans on the side.

You're obviously more knowledgable than me, so I'm all ears, just clarifying why I've done what I've done.
I still, even if the fans are fighting the GPU don't understand why the GPU is in 100% utilization when running light games.

Edit: Not that I'm an airflow engineer, but adding two fans to the side can't in my head ruin anything more than it helps. The fans in the mesh are not directing air underneath the GPU btw, it's on top/towards MB/CPU.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You're quick on the replies, appreciate it :)
I'm new to building, and I've read page up and page down on forums, reviews and everything in between.
I've found articles saying mesh side is the better option for GPU cooling, and from Fractals own website where they post pictures with dual 140mm fans on the side.

You're obviously more knowledgable than me, so I'm all ears, just clarifying why I've done what I've done.
I still, even if the fans are fighting the GPU don't understand why the GPU is in 100% utilization when running light games.
Yes, some mesh is fine, but I'd argue the North's is overdone for horizontal gpus. You didn't say what the side fans were doing, but:
1)Side intake. The gpu cooler exhausts its waste heat towards the side panel and motherboard, so those case fans wouldn't be helping.
2)Side exhaust. The gpu cooler gets fresh air from... uhh, maybe it doesn't get any, I have no idea - I'd have to personally test and see if the gpu gets any cool air if the air from the front leaks out the mesh panel, and the gpu cooler's fans are fighting with the side case fans for air...

How hard - if at all - does the card throttle back gpu and memory clock? If it's throttling really hard, then yes, a slower gpu can max out.
Or, if there's something else running alongside the game using gpu resources.

Apr 11, 2023
A quick search seems to indicate that these HP 3080s are known to run hot. Is this card new to you? Did you have it in another system where it ran cooler? You may be barking up the wrong tree with case cooling.
New to me. I've seen that as well, but not as high, and as with this utilization (100%). It was in an HP Omen PC, claimed by seller to run 20 degrees cooler, which is hard for me to believe.

New to me. I've seen that as well, but not as high, and as with this utilization (100%). It was in an HP Omen PC, claimed by seller to run 20 degrees cooler, which is hard for me to believe.

OEM cards such as that typically have an "adequate" cooling solution. I did come across some reddit threads discussing methods to improve cooling (I did not read far, but looked like better thermal pads/paste) and some YouTube videos probably in the same vein. I would suggest removing the side panel (yes, I know it's mesh) to let it breath undisturbed air, this will indicate if case airflow is an issue.

Apr 11, 2023
Yes, some mesh is fine, but I'd argue the North's is overdone for horizontal gpus. You didn't say what the side fans were doing, but:
1)Side intake. The gpu cooler exhausts its waste heat towards the side panel and motherboard, so those case fans wouldn't be helping.
2)Side exhaust. The gpu cooler gets fresh air from... uhh, maybe it doesn't get any, I have no idea - I'd have to personally test and see if the gpu gets any cool air if the air from the front leaks out the mesh panel, and the gpu cooler's fans are fighting with the side case fans for air...

How hard - if at all - does the card throttle back GPU and memory clock? If it's throttling really hard, then yes, a slower gpu can max out.
Or, if there's something else running alongside the game using GPU resources.
It's the side exhaust for the fans. Air intake front/top, exhaust side/back (120mm, 1x). Had to confirm with a paper test now :) Would this be correct for this case in your mind?

It for some reason does not throttle, as far as I've noticed. Never happened to me before. 100% utilization constant does not seem to lower its performance.

I've ran multiple tests with games /3DMark without anything else interfering except HWmonitor, and at times with FanControl.

What my main worry is: Why is it at 100% utilization (not the fans, the GPU) in easy games, and is the temperatures I'm listing above recommended for this kind of card? Will it melt? Will it reduce the lifetime?

Apr 11, 2023
OEM cards such as that typically have an "adequate" cooling solution. I did come across some reddit threads discussing methods to improve cooling (I did not read far, but looked like better thermal pads/paste) and some YouTube videos probably in the same vein. I would suggest removing the side panel (yes, I know it's mesh) to let it breath undisturbed air, this will indicate if case airflow is an issue.
I've seen those videos, I just didn't dare start that process. I've read/seen that it reduces the temps dramatically.
I'll test with the mesh gone a while. Will a glass front (i got one) test be good to test airflow? With airflow through the case ofc.

I've seen those videos, I just didn't dare start that process. I've read/seen that it reduces the temps dramatically.
I'll test with the mesh gone a while. Will a glass front (i got one) test be good to test airflow? With airflow through the case ofc.

Just don't overthink this. When diagnosing any issue make ONE change at a time. You have one device that seems to be running hot. Isolating it to a fresh air source can tell you a lot. Removing the side cover will provide fresh, unheated air to that component. It is an easy test and quick. If you have no change, the GPU cooler is at fault. If you see a large drop in temp, case airflow. It CAN be a little of both, but tackle one thing at a time.

Apr 11, 2023
Just don't overthink this. When diagnosing any issue make ONE change at a time. You have one device that seems to be running hot. Isolating it to a fresh air source can tell you a lot. Removing the side cover will provide fresh, unheated air to that component. It is an easy test and quick. If you have no change, the GPU cooler is at fault. If you see a large drop in temp, case airflow. It CAN be a little of both, but tackle one thing at a time.
Appreciate the help. I'll test without mesh first, then take it from there.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's the side exhaust for the fans. Air intake front/top, exhaust side/back (120mm, 1x). Had to confirm with a paper test now :) Would this be correct for this case in your mind?
I can't say. I'd have to personally test it. The North Mesh is a bit different from most other cases.

What my main worry is: Why is it at 100% utilization (not the fans, the GPU) in easy games, and is the temperatures I'm listing above recommended for this kind of card? Will it melt? Will it reduce the lifetime?
1)The cpu + ram is feeding it with enough prerendered frames, combined with the resolution and eye candy settings, to keep the gpu that busy.
2)Generally, yes.
3)No, it won't melt.
4)As if that's the only factor affecting longevity - I'd need a crystal ball. These things usually become obsolete before damage becomes an issue.
I'm using a 6 year old card. Still satisfied with what it does, but I am feeling that itch - platform(cpu/mobo/ram) change comes first though.

Apr 11, 2023
I can't say. I'd have to personally test it. The North Mesh is a bit different from most other cases.

1)The cpu + ram is feeding it with enough prerendered frames, combined with the resolution and eye candy settings, to keep the gpu that busy.
2)Generally, yes.
3)No, it won't melt.
4)As if that's the only factor affecting longevity - I'd need a crystal ball. These things usually become obsolete before damage becomes an issue.
I'm using a 6 year old card. Still satisfied with what it does, but I am feeling that itch - platform(cpu/mobo/ram) change comes first though.
Alright. It seems as a combined answer from both of you that I need to test this in different ways. One change at a time.

That's the goal, to keep this system for at least as many years as yours. Would be a shame starting with a too hot card not knowing why, hence the questions and worry from my end.
If it doesn't work as intended, I guess I'll start with monitoring the temperature of the same system in the old case, if issue persists, I'll buy a new GPU.

Apr 11, 2023
Update on this case:
RTX3080 HP Card was returned to the seller due to high temperatures and suspected faulty card from the beginning.
Meanwhile, I ran my old 2070S, with silence as I was used to. Worked like a charm.

Currently just fitted a brand new Nvidia RTX 4070 FE card, silent as a church library. Experience really good performance and close to absolutely zero noise, without the side-mounted fans.

Reactions: Phaaze88