Distinguished
Jan 15, 2013
Specs

case:corsair 275r (Front panel removed)
psu: supernova g2 750w
motherboard: z390 ultra
gpu: evga rtx 3080 ftw ultra
cpu: i7 8700k
Cpu cooler : corsair h115i 280mm (recently replaced the pro rock 4 air cooler)

Now this is an issue I've had across multiple gpus (gtx 1080 ti, rtx 2080, rtx 2080 ti). They consistently perform well above median reported thermals of their respective models, all approaching throttle thresholds (the GTX 1080 ti was the ftw3 variant, yet reached 80 C.)

GPU thermals for my current EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra reach 84 C under 28 C ambience. This is similar to the experience I had with the rtx 2080 ti, reaching similar thermals.

So I know that the cards are not at fault. Furthermore, I know its not an issue of case fans (there are 2 exhausts at the back/top and 2 intakes in the front), as with the side panel removed, it reduces the thermals a mere ∼ 5 C, leaving it around 79 C without any side panel (the reported thermals for this card are ∼ 73 C on a closed case) . I've also adjusted fans in many variations, even having removed my air CPU cooler, and leave the front panel open (only the mesh covers it)
Wires are also clean / tucked away.
CPU thermals, in contrast, never surpass 55 C even on the rare occasion of games putting it under heavy load.

So ignoring fans or GPU fault, what can be the problem here? The only thing I can think of is the PSU, yet at the same time, my CPU has no thermal issues, from what I can see.

Here is an image of my setup : https://ibb.co/CW87ShP

Appreciate your time,

Last edited:
Solution
So ignoring fans or GPU fault, what can be the problem here?
Corsair Carbide 275R
^This, and a few other things.
When you removed the side panel, did you get a large fan, and have it blow air inside? See the following post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/aio-effectiveness.3708414/#post-22353765

The psu shroud, the gpu's proximity to said shroud, the PCIe covers, the front mounted radiator... all added air resistance, and each xx80/Ti you introduced after the first one pulled more power and thus needed more air moving in and out of the PC.
You didn't increase air movement with each more power hungry upgrade, so thermals stayed as less favorable.
The 275R's front panel may have been removed, but the H115i's...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So ignoring fans or GPU fault, what can be the problem here?
Corsair Carbide 275R
When you removed the side panel, did you get a large fan, and have it blow air inside? See the following post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/aio-effectiveness.3708414/#post-22353765

The psu shroud, the gpu's proximity to said shroud, the PCIe covers, the front mounted radiator... all added air resistance, and each xx80/Ti you introduced after the first one pulled more power and thus needed more air moving in and out of the PC.
You didn't increase air movement with each more power hungry upgrade, so thermals stayed as less favorable.
The 275R's front panel may have been removed, but the H115i's radiator is a source of air resistance itself - not as much as the front panel does, but even so, added with everything else -
Air intake to the gpu is weak, and not enough exhausts were set up at the top.
If you do just a rear and single top, like you did in your picture, the 2 fans fight with each other for removing heated air, and you actually LOSE cooling efficiency, so there's a need to put 2 or more exhaust fans at the top.

I don't know what Myst_8362 is talking about, but the radiator fans are positioned correctly to pull air inside and to the rest of your components:
iu
So you did this one correctly.

Last edited:
Solution

deadlytivo

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2013
Corsair Carbide 275R

The 275R's front panel may have been removed, but the H115i's radiator is a source of air resistance itself - not as much as the front panel does, but even so, added with everything else -
Air intake to the gpu is weak, and not enough exhausts were set up at the top.
If you do just a rear and single top, like you did in your picture, the 2 fans fight with each other for removing heated air, and you actually LOSE cooling efficiency, so there's a need to put 2 or more exhaust fans at the top.

I don't know what Myst_8362 is talking about, but the radiator fans are positioned correctly to pull air inside and to the rest of your components:
iu
So you did this one correctly.

According to testing by Gamers Nexus, the 275r with the front panel removed has thermals under 3C differential to cases like the TD500 and Meshify 2 . That was with the default 2 fan configuration, too, which I had orignially tested
ref : https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3254-corsair-275r-case-review-thermals-quality-noise

I also originally had an air cooler, so the front panel wasn't obstructed, and the thermals remained unchanged when I tested it on my rtx 2080 ti.

I've also played around with the exhaust fans alot, too .

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They did all three of those with an i7-6700K + GTX 1080...
1080Ti: ~36% more power consumption than 1080.
2080Ti: ~7% more power consumption than 1080Ti, ~45% more than 1080.
3088: ~16% more power consumption than 2080Ti, ~68% more than 1080.
^That's just comparing FE board power power limits, and nothing else. Aftermarket models typically pull more power.
I get why they do it that way(consistency) but it can be misleading to some users - as power consumption goes up, air needs to be moved faster as well.
There's only so much a big, chonky cooler can do, which was bigger with each gpu you had/have.

I also originally had an air cooler, so the front panel wasn't obstructed, and the thermals remained unchanged when I tested it on my rtx 2080 ti.
I did say that was only part of the whole picture. Keep in mind the other restrictions on top of that.

I've also played around with the exhaust fans alot, too .
And what was the conclusion?