[SOLVED] RTX 3080 POWER SUPPLY REQUIREMENT? and will my 700w work?

Aug 11, 2020
Is there anyway to find out what power supply I would need?
More specifically, can my current power supply handle the RTX 3080
On the NVIDIA Website, it states that it requires a minimum 750W PSU to run it. But I've seen many places elsewhere that specific power supplies won't need to be upgraded to a 750w for it to work properly. I have a 700W PSU

My question is:
How can I tell if my current power supply with be sufficient for the RTX 3080?
image0.jpg

Here's a picture of my power supply if it helps!

As the RTX 3080 not being out yet, I'm not sure how much info is available to provide, but I'm aware certain people got it early, so here's to me hoping :)

Solution
On the NVIDIA Website, it states that it requires a minimum 750W PSU to run it. But I've seen many places elsewhere that specific power supplies won't need to be upgraded to a 750w for it to work properly. I have a 700W PSU

My question is:

As the RTX 3080 not being out yet, I'm not sure how much info is available to provide, but I'm aware certain people got it early, so here's to me hoping :)
To be safe, a good quality 750W would probably work if you don't want to wait for reviews to show how much power the new cards are...

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
If you want to play it safe you should probably upgrade, but if youre dead set on keeping your current one you should be able to lower power intake in the bios at the cost of performance. Im not sure how it works with Ampere, aswell as certain partner MoBos, so hard to say. but i would recommend getting a new PSU for peace of mind.

Reactions: FlinkFlonk
Aug 11, 2020
If you want to play it safe you should probably upgrade, but if youre dead set on keeping your current one you should be able to lower power intake in the bios at the cost of performance. Im not sure how it works with Ampere, aswell as certain partner MoBos, so hard to say. but i would recommend getting a new PSU for peace of mind.
That's fair, and it makes total sense.
To fully view my options, I think I'd need some help
When looking at power supplies, should I be really really prioritizing the "Wires or Connectors" that come with the power supply for my fans, and other hardware? or should it have all the things I need? I've never needed to purchase another power supply in the past so I'd rather be safe than sorry :)

Last edited:

My question is:

To be safe, a good quality 750W would probably work if you don't want to wait for reviews to show how much power the new cards are actually using. Your TR2 outputs 624 watts on the +12 volt so it's not really a 700W unit and it's very low quality and should not be used with something like a new RTX series card. If you intend to spend big money for a new 3080 you need to invest in a high quality power supply that will protect your system and your new, expensive video card. Here's a few good quality options-

Reactions: FlinkFlonk
Solution
Aug 11, 2020
To be safe, a good quality 750W would probably work if you don't want to wait for reviews to show how much power the new cards are actually using. Your TR2 outputs 624 watts on the +12 volt so it's not really a 700W unit and it's very low quality and should not be used with something like a new RTX series card. If you intend to spend big money for a new 3080 you need to invest in a high quality power supply that will protect your system and your new, expensive video card. Here's a few good quality options-
Thank you!! The suggestions really help, especially in my uncertainty. From what I'm hearing, I'll definitely be upgrading my power supply to fit the need of the RTX 3080. All that comes next is seeing all the connectors I'll need for all my computer parts :)

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
The 3080 comes with the 12 pin adapter, most PSUs include more than enough cables, including pcie cables, to power the 3080. I recommend the RM750x if you're looking for a high standard 750W PSU

Aug 11, 2020
I apologize, but this should be able to connect to my mother board correct? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009P7J0K?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

My motherboard requires a 24 pin connector, and I'm just not knowledgeable about power supplies

Aug 11, 2020
The 3080 comes with the 12 pin adapter, most PSUs include more than enough cables, including pcie cables, to power the 3080. I recommend the RM750x if you're looking for a high standard 750W PSU
Yes! I was also looking at that one, but it seems to be out of stock. It's in stock in a shop nearby, but it seems a bit too pricey compared to what I can find online