Question RTX 3080 Random Black Screens

Oct 14, 2020
I have been having issues with my RTX 3080. I randomly get black screens, with the only means of recovery being resetting my PC . This error from the reliability tracker seems to pinpoint a problem with the GPU, but I am not sure what the issue could be.

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎4/‎21/‎2021 7:09 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 117
Parameter 1: ffff9f8236b39010
Parameter 2: fffff8009184dbe4
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 6f8
OS version: 10_0_19042
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: LKD_0x117_Tdr:3_TdrBug:575504_TdrVTR:13_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys
Server information: f39911ac-388e-42ad-9a02-7710099af5f2

I have tried underclocking via MSI Afterburner. At first it seemed to work with -100 MHz but then the issue returned a couple days later. I tried underclocking down to -200 MHz but that just caused the GPU to crash every few minutes. I then overclocked to +35 MHz, which also worked for a couple days but then the problem came back again.

I uninstalled my NVIDIA graphics drivers through DDU and reinstalled them, but that had no effect. I also tried changing the power settings in my BIOS to prefer maximum performance and to preserve power, both seeming to have made the black screen occur much more frequently.

A short while back I swapped out my RAM to new sticks, which made the black screens go away for 3 weeks, but then they came back after a Windows update.

I tried reinstalling Windows and that also didn’t work.

I am not sure why my GPU keeps randomly failing and I do not know what else to try. Lately the black screens have started to occur every few hours instead of every few days, and sometimes the GPU fans go on turbo speed when it happens. I checked the GPU temperature right after each crash but it was always in the 50-60 degree range.

Any help would be appreciated. This problem has been driving me nuts!

Oct 14, 2020
I inspected my GPU and discovered that a couple of the power cable pins weren’t fully plugged in. I corrected it. Will report back if my GPU remains stable for a few days.

Jun 22, 2021
I have been having issues with my RTX 3080. I randomly get black screens, with the only means of recovery being resetting my PC . This error from the reliability tracker seems to pinpoint a problem with the GPU, but I am not sure what the issue could be.

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎4/‎21/‎2021 7:09 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 117
Parameter 1: ffff9f8236b39010
Parameter 2: fffff8009184dbe4
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 6f8
OS version: 10_0_19042
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: LKD_0x117_Tdr:3_TdrBug:575504_TdrVTR:13_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys
Server information: f39911ac-388e-42ad-9a02-7710099af5f2

I have tried underclocking via MSI Afterburner. At first it seemed to work with -100 MHz but then the issue returned a couple days later. I tried underclocking down to -200 MHz but that just caused the GPU to crash every few minutes. I then overclocked to +35 MHz, which also worked for a couple days but then the problem came back again.

I uninstalled my NVIDIA graphics drivers through DDU and reinstalled them, but that had no effect. I also tried changing the power settings in my BIOS to prefer maximum performance and to preserve power, both seeming to have made the black screen occur much more frequently.

A short while back I swapped out my RAM to new sticks, which made the black screens go away for 3 weeks, but then they came back after a Windows update.

I tried reinstalling Windows and that also didn’t work.

I am not sure why my GPU keeps randomly failing and I do not know what else to try. Lately the black screens have started to occur every few hours instead of every few days, and sometimes the GPU fans go on turbo speed when it happens. I checked the GPU temperature right after each crash but it was always in the 50-60 degree range.

Any help would be appreciated. This problem has been driving me nuts!
think this is a 100% Nvidia problem they are ignoring...people are doing all kinds of crap to fix this , costing time and money....I was plagued by it for months. The fix for me? Well...it seemed to me , the black screen was akin to suspense mode...almost as if something was trying to put monitor to sleep, while the game or whatever played on....I fixed it for me...here is what I did...I opened Device Manager...opened Universal Serial Bus Controllers and right clicked on every single listed HUB, and changed the power management (tab) from "allow the computer to turn off this device"...I deselected that option for EVERY..SINGLE..HUB...reboot.....Hasnt crashed to Black Screen since....after a full year of random black screens....it may not work for you.....But i am now a happy gamer

Jun 22, 2021
i think this is a 100% Nvidia problem they are ignoring...people are doing all kinds of crap to fix this , costing time and money....I was plagued by it for months. The fix for me? Well...it seemed to me , the black screen was akin to suspense mode...almost as if something was trying to put monitor to sleep, while the game or whatever played on....I fixed it for me...here is what I did...I opened Device Manager...opened Universal Serial Bus Controllers and right clicked on every single listed HUB, went to Properties, selected Power Management tab, and changed the power management (tab) from "allow the computer to turn off this device"...I deselected that option for EVERY..SINGLE..HUB...reboot.....Hasnt crashed to Black Screen since....after a full year of random black screens....it may not work for you.....But i am now a happy gamer

TRENDING THREADS