Dec 2, 2020
I recently got me a RTX 3080 Palit graphics card. There is nothing wrong with the GPU (so I think) since it runs benchmarks like time spy and so forth perfectly, the problem comes when I try to game on it. Games like squad, rust and tarkov just crash when I run it in 4k. This is the weird part though, the crash is not like a BSOD or crash to desktop, it restarts my pc. So I have the power cables hooked up, one seperate power cable for each 8 pin from my 750w PSU, so that is no problem. It happens ONLY in 4k (Except squad just crashes in 1440p as well). I could get the tarkov crashes to go away partially, by disabling my DRAM memory overclocks in my bios, but then the game would just crash once I open the settings menu while in game. These crashes ONLY happen when I am actually in game, it doesnt happen in any of the game menus or any benchmarks (Even time spy extreme in 4k works perfectly) The card boosts perfectly and maintains good boost clocks so I doubt it has anything to do with the hardware, it seems like a driver issue . Also I can either run the game fine without any crashes(so far) or the game just crashes instantly, so it is very consistent in that manner.

My Nvidia driver version : 457.30
My specs :
PSU : CM 750w
GPU : Palit RTX 3080
CPU : Ryzen 7 2700x
Mobo : Asus ROG B350-f
RAM : HyperX Fury 3200Mhz (OVerclocked with DOCP 3200Mhz profile)
SSD : 1Tb NVme

Any help or anyone with similar problems would be appreciated!

I recently got me a RTX 3080 Palit graphics card. There is nothing wrong with the GPU (so I think) since it runs benchmarks like time spy and so forth perfectly, the problem comes when I try to game on it. Games like squad, rust and tarkov just crash when I run it in 4k. This is the weird part though, the crash is not like a BSOD or crash to desktop, it restarts my pc. So I have the power cables hooked up, one seperate power cable for each 8 pin from my 750w PSU, so that is no problem. It happens ONLY in 4k (Except squad just crashes in 1440p as well). I could get the tarkov crashes to go away partially, by disabling my DRAM memory overclocks in my bios, but then the game would just crash once I open the settings menu while in game. These crashes ONLY happen when I am actually in game, it doesnt happen in any of the game menus or any benchmarks (Even time spy extreme in 4k works perfectly) The card boosts perfectly and maintains good boost clocks so I doubt it has anything to do with the hardware, it seems like a driver issue . Also I can either run the game fine without any crashes(so far) or the game just crashes instantly, so it is very consistent in that manner.

My Nvidia driver version : 457.30
My specs :
PSU : CM 750w
GPU : Palit RTX 3080
CPU : Ryzen 7 2700x
Mobo : Asus ROG B350-f
RAM : HyperX Fury 3200Mhz (OVerclocked with DOCP 3200Mhz profile)
SSD : 1Tb NVme

Any help or anyone with similar problems would be appreciated!

Hey there,

Random crashes like that (restart at load) typically point to a PSU issue. I'd start there. Maybe you have a spare to swap out and diagnose? Alternatively, you could bring to local repair shop and get them to swap out and test for about 20€£$.

What exact model PSU is yours? There are a few CM 750 PSU's out there.

Reactions: jay32267

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
I also think it could be due to your PSU, if not GPU.. Palit RTX 3080's got 2x good caps on back of the card? if not then manually underclock the GPU a bit and see if you get same issue.

I'd run atleast 850W with a 3080 as it can draw alot of power, but I don't know how heavy that particular cpu runs.
I know for my processor 850W with a 3080 is recommended because the cpu is a heavy running cpu (or so I've read)

Plus, 5 years sounds like a good run for a psu, I'd probably be replacing it soon anyways if I was in your shoes.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Dec 2, 2020
Ok so the general advice would be to check my power supply? I mean it could very well be yes, but does that explain the 4k resolution only thing? Cause it happens only on 4k in most games. Also the gpu is under max load at lower resolutions as well

Hi,

It's a G750M, quite an old model, its about 5 years old now, but I had a 1080 before this and had no such issues, my system was perfectly stable.

That kinda seals the deal for me. The age of the unit, means it's not providing it's full power rating. It might be just enough to get the 1080, but RTX 3080 can be very power hungry. Along with the description you gave, really points strongly to the PSU.

The good news is, there are a lot of quality Gold units available for a good price. I wouldn't be putting anything less in with e 3080.

The problem from what I read will be the quality and age of the psu. From what I read it is the transient response performance of the psu that causes many of the psu issues people have with the RTX cards. There are people reporting problems with mid range 750 & 850w PSU’s. However I have a Seasonic Focus Platinum 650w running a 3080 and 3700x (PBO on) and I’ve not had a single problem but it’s a high quality psu. Through my own stress testing the system peaked at 548w at the wall so system load is slightly lower. When gaming (1440p 144Hz or 4K 120Hz) it generally stays under 450w.

Bottom line, make sure it’s a high quality psu.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Dec 2, 2020
RM750 worked for me (not rm750x) and also my friend's rm650x could run the psu fine, the in-line capacitors with the rm750x is great for keeping constant voltage output (doesn't come with rm750)

Stonker99

Reputable
Apr 16, 2017
Sorry to dig this up, but I too have an RTX 3080 FE, with a Ryzen 5950X, and a brand new Corsair RM850X. Rust is the only thing that is causing a PC reboot.
All stress tests are fine, as is every other intensive game. I'm thinking there's more to this Rust issue.

Dec 2, 2020
Bro I'm really not sure at this point. See I'm thinking the cards are made with too tight tolerancesand anything that interferes a little with it causes it to crash... Like the power supply should be perfectly fine... Also I'm not running 2 seperate 8 pin cables to my gpu, only one that splits, so that myth is also not true

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Softybeast
1)Ampere's power efficiency blows, so the need for a good power supply is more important than ever. It's possible some gold rated psus aren't enough for these cards; platinum and titanium may actually be needed here.
Don't quote me on that 2nd line, because I'm still looking around on different forums myself about this.

2)Nvidia's 750w psu recommendation was made with a 10900K that wasn't overclocked. The AIB/AIC manufacturers are going to deliver designs with even worse power efficiency and higher power limits.
The 750w recommendation isn't going to apply to them - rather, it's probably higher.

3)The FE model is hands down, the most stable one this time around.

4)Rumors:
-POSCAPS Vs MLCC
-Aftermarket models' boost clocks too aggressive
-"It's still early, so the drivers aren't the best..."

5)Possible(?) truth of point 4: Nvidia's component requirements for RTX 30 boards were higher than usual, but some, if not all the AIBs, still cut corners in their designs to save money/make a profit
Following Nvidia's design piece-by-piece was rather expensive, and that combined with the MSRPs would leave them with smaller profit margins.
Once again, the end user gets bent, but this time, they're playing a gpu lottery to get a card that may or may not work with the cheaper boards.