[SOLVED] Rtx 3080 seems to be foulty

PureAngel

Commendable
Aug 6, 2021
When rust is opened and is played for a few minutes or if i understand correctly when my gpu is used for a power demanding task, my screen starts to glitch, black lines start to flicker and finally a black screen or a frozen screen of rust with some distorted pixels of random clolours. After the crash all i can do is shut down the pc by the power button. After crash theres also a message that says theres no connection to pc from monitor, tryed different clables with g-sync and just hdmi cables, didnt solve the problem. Thank you for any help. Exmaple of random pixels on screen. (photo taken by phone)

Last edited:
Solution
Seems like a sketchy upgrade to me. If the PSU is indeed 5 years old and not a good brand. I would assume it could be PSU related. But the info provided is a bit scarce.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information. Please list your specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Did you have a GPU prior to the RTX3080? How old is the PSU in your build? Check to see what BIOS version you're at the time of writing for your motherboard and the version for your OS, assuming you're on Windows 10.

Last edited:

PureAngel

Commendable
Aug 6, 2021
may i ask how do i get all this information about my pc? I only know my cpu and that is 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700KF @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz

Reactions: Lutfij

PureAngel

Commendable
Aug 6, 2021
this is the information, the PSU is hardly accesable for me since its all screwed in, if uve seen the model case and how it looks inside, you would understand what i mean. Now that i looked closer at it i can see that its fan is not even on for some reason. Theres a fan on PSU -_-.

Is your computer a pre-built from a vendor or was it built by a friend/relative locally? If a pre-built from a vendor, you can give us your manufacturer and model number to help narrow things down. On the power supply for example there is a label on the side with make and model and specs (at least there should be).

I just re-read your comment about the power supply being enclosed in a box. If the fan is not turning when powered on that is not unusual. Most modern power supplies of decent quality are designed to only turn the fan on when the load gets large enough put on them. It will certainly not be on when idling or just website browsing.

PureAngel

Commendable
Aug 6, 2021
Is your computer a pre-built from a vendor or was it built by a friend/relative locally? If a pre-built from a vendor, you can give us your manufacturer and model number to help narrow things down. On the power supply for example there is a label on the side with make and model and specs (at least there should be).

I just re-read your comment about the power supply being enclosed in a box. If the fan is not turning when powered on that is not unusual. Most modern power supplies of decent quality are designed to only turn the fan on when the load gets large enough put on them. It will certainly not be on when idling or just website browsing.
its a prebuild from a vendor, 13p1-4yuoc 12 power supply, finally found it -_-, model name is aurora r12. Komputronik is where i bought this prebuild, its a Polish shop.

13p1-4yuoc 12 power supply

Okay now we are getting somewhere. That number only matches up to the power supply housing for a Dell XPS 8910 desktop. Here is the USA product link from Dell:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/xps-tower/spd/xps-8910-desktop

It's an older PC from Dell which came with the 6th generation Intel chips and the highest powered GPU for it according to Dell's product link above states was a GTX 960. It sounds like your vendor cannibalized Dell parts and possibly even the power supply which would in no way be powerful enough to run an RTX 3080. I'd love to see photos of the internals and how that GPU was connected with the power supply!

Last edited:
The number you gave is only for the power supply housing.
In any case, that power supply is nowhere near powerful enough for your RTX 3080. Also, be careful replacing the power supply. Many OEM manufacturers use custom size ones so regular ATX power supplies won't fit.

Wait, is it an XPS 8910 or an Aroura R12? We really need to get the exact model. Can you give us the service tag info on the back (if there is any)?

Last edited:

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Seems like a sketchy upgrade to me. If the PSU is indeed 5 years old and not a good brand. I would assume it could be PSU related. But the info provided is a bit scarce.

Solution