Question RTX 3080 strix flashing red at power connectors.

Zalgo

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2014
I have a rtx 3080 that started to give issues with my last PSU, an 850watt (pc resetting when doing intensive things in some games and streaming and did the flashing thing off and on). The PSU was a few years old and this GPU is demanding so I figured it was time for an upgrade. So I bought a recommended CPU for it. Which was a Corsair RMx Series (2021), RM850x, 850 Watt about a week ago. Its works perfect. I stress tested all the things that would make my PC reset on it and no more resetting. Now fast forward to about a week later and im now seeing those flashing lights at the 6 pins again. What is going on here? 850watt should be more than enough for this thing and this is a new PSU. I am a little annoyed at this issue.

Lutfij

Titan
Not really, due to transient spikes, you're advised to have a higher wattage PSU, more like 1KW. yes I know it's outrageous but the next generation of cards will be higher power draw and the same story has been prevalent with AMD's cards as well.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Under Tech Specs in the link you've provided:
* Our wattage recommendation is based on a fully overclocked GPU and CPU system configuration. For a more tailored suggestion, please use the “Choose By Wattage” feature on our PSU product page: https://rog.asus.com/event/PSU/ASUS-Power-Supply-Units/index.html
They don't specify what the system config is, which doesn't really help, but... what does the rest of the system look like? And did you try the Choose By Wattage feature?

Zalgo

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2014
Under Tech Specs in the link you've provided:
* Our wattage recommendation is based on a fully overclocked GPU and CPU system configuration. For a more tailored suggestion, please use the “Choose By Wattage” feature on our PSU product page: https://rog.asus.com/event/PSU/ASUS-Power-Supply-Units/index.html
They don't specify what the system config is, which doesn't really help, but... what does the rest of the system look like? And did you try the Choose By Wattage feature?
I have a Ryzen 7 5800x, I did the calculator and it says 750watt and if they're overclocked 850watt nothing on my system is overclocked. I guess I can try and see if this will last me til the end of the year and invest in a 1k watt PSU. 😑

Edit: do you think it could be the fact that I had to daisy chain one of the 3 requires 6 pins? It did not have a 3rd I could direct connect to it.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS