[SOLVED] RTX 3080 suprim X vs Asus Strix OC

funia156

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
Hello. Suddenly I received both cards and I don't know which one should I keep? Can You help me guys and tell what is better and why ? 3080 MSI Suprim X or 3080 Asus Strix OC? I can not find any comparison of these cards. Thank You.

Solution
I don't think it matters at those product tiers - pick which one you like the look of more.
Me, I just LOVE Msi's dragon motif and once considered doing a dragon themed build... but brand favoritism/loyalty doesn't benefit anyone.
The ROG + eye thing never appealed to me. I don't care to see 'gaming' anything plastered on my hardware either; it's an eyesore.

TL; DR: I'd pick the dragon.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
If you want overall best option, the Suprim X is what you want.
It has better cooler design, and runs cooler (assuming you have a good case with good ariflow) which means it boosts higher and runs cooler at lower fan speed which means less noise.

If you want all that RGB sexiness though, with a still really good cooler and card design, the ASUS card is your go to.

You mind answering a couple questions for me though?
What country are you in?
Tell me the story of exactly how you got sent two different 3080's and if you ended up paying for both?
And did you pay MSRP/Retail?

Cuz this intrigues me.

--UPDATE--
One other thing to consider is size of the GPU.
The MSI comes in at 336mm long
The ASUS comes in at 318.5mm long.

The MSI card is slightly thicker (cuz of the cooler) than the ASUS.
MSI is 61mm thick
ASUS is 57.8mm thick

Last edited:
Reactions: funia156

funia156

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
I'm living in Norway. Both cards cost same 10000 nok. Idk how many dollars it is. I ordered Asus 04.10.2020 and MSI suprim X 9.12.2020 when we had 50+ stk drop. I was late so my delivery should be in January but suddenly I got email that card is on the way. I have ordered 3080 tuf oc ca 21.09.2020 and they postponing it all the time so maybe will be in January for msrp 7400nok. I have order for msi xtrio from launch date and hour but I don't have any informations about delivery time :(
I ordered from 2 different shops. Suprim x and tuf oc from one and xtrio and Asus strix oc from another one.

I dont need led rgb because I'm not looking on it. So in this case MSI Suprim X is better for me than Asus Strix OC? I doubt that I will overlock it.i have Fractal Design Define R6 so I think size of card doesnt matter.

Last edited:

Viper2

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
MSI 3080 Suprim is better than Asus 3080 Strix OC. Suprim is quieter, runs cooler, and has a better build quality. Suprim can also be overclocked slightly higher. MSI 3080 Suprim is the very best non-water-cooled RTX 3080. When a 3080 Suprim is overclocked, it is on par with a non-overclocked 3090. I have a 3080 Suprim on pre-order.

Reactions: funia156

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
well the MSRP of a 3080 is supposed to be $800 and stock is limited here, but from looking it up, here in the states we can get an EVGA FTW 3 for $860.

The cards you have aren't in stock anywhere so can't look up prices for those.

The fact that you are paying $350 over MSRP is ridiculous no matter which way you look at it lol.
But that's the price to pay to get it now rather than waiting for the stock and prices to normalize I guess.

funia156

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
Prices will not normalize in my opinion. If man would order strix oc now , has to pay 1000nok more... cheapest cards on launch day costed minimum 8500nok. Asus rog strix oc costed like 9500 so its not a big difference now. Strix from skalepels cost 14000nok and suprim 13000nok. We never had so cheap msrp as you have in USA.

Dec 23, 2020
Im in South Africa and am in the same dillema as you , both a 3080 ROG strix and Suprim X arrived at my door today :) . I will be keeping the Suprim X though , the build quality seems much better than that of the strix and it seems to have higher boost clocks than the strix model , IMO the RGB on the MSI card looks better too. Your pricing is actually good here these cards are $1400 due to our poor currency.

funia156

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
MSI: 16+4 VRM for voltage regulation. The manual power limit defaults to 370 W, which is 50 W higher than the Founders Edition. The manual adjustment range goes all the way up to 430 W

ASUS: ASUS also prepared new BIOS that raises the Power Limit of their ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 and ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080, in addition to the TUF variants, up to 450W

Looks like here asus is better than msi

Reactions: Toddjy

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think it matters at those product tiers - pick which one you like the look of more.
Me, I just LOVE Msi's dragon motif and once considered doing a dragon themed build... but brand favoritism/loyalty doesn't benefit anyone.
The ROG + eye thing never appealed to me. I don't care to see 'gaming' anything plastered on my hardware either; it's an eyesore.

TL; DR: I'd pick the dragon.

Solution

Viper2

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
It seems I was mistaken in my previous response. When comparing a MSI Suprim to a ROG Strix OC, the Strix OC is the better quality card. Asus uses the higher quality MLCCs rather than the lower quality POSCAPS (which MSI uses). Also, the Strix OC is a slightly faster card that actually runs cooler than the Suprim in all the reviews I have read. Also, Asus is known for having higher quality PCBs and components overall than MSI. The only thing the Suprim has going for it is a bit flashier design. But for speed, temperature, and quality, the Strix OC wins.