News RTX 3080 Ti GPUs Are Mysteriously Dying On Diablo IV Beta

With the amount of people playing D4 and the amount of cards that have failed. I would say this is a case of, my already failing card died on this new game, so let's blame new game.
The amount to people using a 3080ti and playing this game has to be miniscule compared to the rest. If it's only one card having a problem then yes, that game is to blame.

Edit: I don't know how to word it correctly but the game itself found a weakness in the card. After reading lots of posts on the subject I keep seeing people saying "don't overclock your GPU". I would ASSUME that many people overclocking a 3080ti would run some sort of stress test to check stability.

It also looks to affect Gigabyte cards the most.

Last edited:

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
An alarming amount of user reports have emerged on the Blizzard forums (opens in new tab), claiming that the beta is bricking the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, one of the best graphics cards.

Stop making clickbait articles. You claim the card bricked, but the post literally said the card simply crashed, and all it took was a restart to get it to work again.

That link has didly squat to do with bricking a GPU. It is also a week old.

Stop making clickbait crap articles.

"3080ti crashed during cutscene. I had to restart my pc to get my 3080ti to chill out and display anything again. "

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
The amount to people using a 3080ti and playing this game has to be miniscule compared to the rest. If it's only one card having a problem then yes, that game is to blame.
The GPU should be able to handle 100% peak load, can't really blame games for blowing them up. They are merely using the APIs to get stuff on the screen. Worst case, they are exposing a hardware or driver flaw that lets the GPU exceed its peak power limit or other similar problem that is bound to crop up as AIBs and consumers push those cards within an inch of their life with OCs.

Since a large number of 3000-series GPUs were manufactured during peak pandemic with component shortages, the premature failures could just be manufacturers playing component sourcing Russian roulette to get stuff to market.

The GPU should be able to handle 100% peak load, can't really blame games for blowing them up. They are merely using the APIs to get stuff on the screen. Worst case, they are exposing a hardware or driver flaw that lets the GPU exceed its peak power limit or other similar problem that is bound to crop up as AIBs and consumers push those cards within an inch of their life with OCs.

Since a large number of 3000-series GPUs were manufactured during peak pandemic with component shortages, the premature failures could just be manufacturers playing component sourcing Russian roulette to get stuff to market.
I do agree with that. The GAME is finding a flaw in the CARD(s). I'll edit my post accordingly.

Last edited:

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Did those cards have something in common (aside from overclocking)? Like being used, mining cards perhaps??

PS: I still don't understand the mindset of some people: They buy the fastest and most expensive GPUs ,then start fiddling with overclocking to make them a few percentage point faster!

Reactions: klavs

evdjj3j

Honorable
Aug 4, 2017
Did those cards have something in common (aside from overclocking)? Like being used, mining cards perhaps??

PS: I still don't understand the mindset of some people: They buy the fastest and most expensive GPUs ,then start fiddling with overclocking to make them a few percentage point faster!

Let me help you understand. It's fun to do.

KyaraM

Admirable
Stop making clickbait articles. You claim the card bricked, but the post literally said the card simply crashed, and all it took was a restart to get it to work again.

"3080ti crashed during cutscene. I had to restart my pc to get my 3080ti to chill out and display anything again. "
Reading further, there are people saying their cards where bricked.

Mar 22, 2023
Just like New World, it is not the game to blame. The game shouldn't be able to do anything to the card that causes it to fry by just using DirextX API calls.

Reactions: Upacs
D

Deleted member 1353997

With the amount of people playing D4 and the amount of cards that have failed. I would say this is a case of, my already failing card died on this new game, so let's blame new game.
Even if it weren't a case of "already failing card", if my GPU died while playing a game, either the manufacturer designed/built it wrong, the driver has a fatal bug, the GPU was way overclocked, or I made a mistake inserting the GPU in my PC.

In short: I'd never blame the game, ever.

Makaveli

Splendid

This if the gpu has proper cooling it should be able to handle an uncapped menu screen without exploding. One of the reasons I've always gone with Aftermarket cooling on my gpu's.

Maybe you ought to read more carefully. Just because restarting got something back doesn't mean the card worked. The "bricked" part of the headline is literally from the Reddit post. I read this yesterday before giving Zhiye the green light to write this up, and while the bit you quoted was in the thread, it was clear from further reading that the card was indeed dead — the note about the 97 POST code error was already listed, along with links to other dead cards. The latest update reads:
-----------------
While playing Diablo for about 20 minutes, during a cutscene in the chapel, my monitors turned off. Had to restart my PC and motherboard is now posting error code 97. Nothing is working. My GPU is dead. Hope to get some clarity from Blizzard.

Edit 1: Started RMA process with Gigabyte

-PC Build-
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 Ti VISION OC 12G
Intel 10900k
64GB Corsair Vengeance 3600 Ram
Asus ROG Strix z490e Motherboard
Corsair RM 850x PSU

Edit 2: Lot's of toxic, unhappy and unhelpful people on Reddit...it's really sad. If you aren't going to be helpful, don't post. This is a documented issue seen on the Blizzard forums, among other places. Thanks to /u/Snakesta posting these links below, I'll be re-posting the relevant links here:
-----------------

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
"The reported symptoms are identical among the different cases. The system immediately throws a black screen at the user, and the cooling fans on the graphics cards go crazy "

Why weren't the fans Already Maxing Out if D4 had stressed the Video Card so much?

When I use Furmark or powerMax to stress my GPUs, the fans will speed up and of course get very loud. Furmark and powerMax can be bad for your Video Card. It will heat them to the max allowed temp and start throttling. All electronics have shorter lives with higher temps. If you ran Fumark and/or powerMax 24/7 it would greatly reduce the life of the card.

In this case I think D4 could have something to do with this, but I believe it is much more likely that people are jumping on the Band Wagon to try to blame Blizzard for a coincidental Card Failure or a manufacturing defect like EVGA discovered.

Mar 22, 2023
Likely because it didn't and the fans speeding up is because the hardware entered a panic state for some other reason.

This is exactly what happens when the overload voltage protection is tripped. It is only design to trip a limited number of times before the card is bricked (and if you are really unlucky, you will lose the card on the first time). Very experienced from this due to New World frying my 3090 EVGA card. The card shot up to 120% power usage right before it tripped even though I had it set to go no higher than 100%.

This happened on my version 0.1 3900 EVGA FTW3 card. My replacement card was a 1.0 version and no longer had any issues.