[SOLVED] RTX 3080 Ti Just Started Making High Pitched Noise When Gaming Only

Xxfyrus

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
It happened after I changed 2 case fans yesterday. I thought it was the PSU, but I replaced it today, along with every cable from the PSU, and it still makes the noise. Also, when I am gaming, the pitch will sound different depending on what way my character is looking. Is this something I should be concerned about? I have put frame rate locks on, turned vsync on and off.
I also ran MSI afterburner and turned the fan all the way up and it didn't make the noise when it did that, it only makes it when I am in a game. Also, if I pause the game, the noise will instantly stop then start again when I un-pause.

Xxfyrus

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
Sounds like coil whine from the GPU or your PSU, which has nothing to do with the GPU fans. I would guess the noise was always there but was muffled a bit by the noise of the case fans you replaced.
Do you think it is motherboard related? All my parts are less than 1 year old. This was my first time every building a PC and this is the first issue I have had. I hope this isn't something serious. Is there anything I should look out for?

GPU manufacturers sometime blame coil whine on PSUs, and PSU manufacturers sometimes blame coil whine on GPUs. If the sound you're hearing is indeed coil whine, other than the annoying sound, it's not something you should be concerned about.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS