[SOLVED] RTX 3080 Ti, low utilization in some games. CPU usually does not pass 50% utilization.

Apr 1, 2022
Hello! I have a question that has been stumping me. I recently just installed a 3080 Ti from a 1080 Ti into my personal computer (finally) and I have noticed that my GPU is not pushed to its entire potential when playing some games. I understand that this card is very powerful and some games may not need to use the entire GPU's capable workload, but I am getting sub 100 frames sometimes with a 144hz monitor, and the CPU (i7-8700k at 4.9 Ghz) doesn't seem to be a bottleneck, but I could be wrong. Why doesn't the GPU use what it needs to get to that limit? Could my CPU, even though it isn't being "maxed out" still bottleneck my GPU? or are these select games (Apex Legends, Far Cry New Dawn, Assassains Creed Valhalla/Odyssey) just unoptimized and I wasn't able to tell the difference before because my old GPU was just powerful enough?

I play in 1440p, using minimal and max graphics settings barely changes the fps.
In NVIDIA control panel, I have "power management mode" on "prefer maximum performance".
I have G-Sync on, but that also doesn't seem to make a difference anyway.
3dmark fully utilizes my GPU, and I usually get an above-average score, so I KNOW it isn't an issue with the GPU itself.

Games that fully utilize my GPU are games like, MW2019, Vanguard, RDR2, Rainbow Six Seige.

Full Specs:
Intel i7-8700k (4.9 Ghz)
32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro OC'd at 3333 Mhz.
RTX 3080 Ti FE
Corsair H110i Pro AIO Cooler
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVME
2 x Samsung 850 1TB SSD
2 x Toshiba 5 TB HDD
Corsair RMx 850 watt

Last edited:
Solution
even using a 8700K @ 5.2GHz it still couldn't provide enough frames to my RTX 3080 Ti to maximize it's potential.
upgrading to the 11700K @ 5.0GHz offered quite a bit more frames in the most demanding games out there; Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Cyberpunk 2077, etc...

also if you haven't, try installing some of the games on one of your faster drives.
models, textures, etc loading faster can sometimes help a bit with fps.

also make sure your Windows Power Plan is set properly for gaming.
even using a 8700K @ 5.2GHz it still couldn't provide enough frames to my RTX 3080 Ti to maximize it's potential.
upgrading to the 11700K @ 5.0GHz offered quite a bit more frames in the most demanding games out there; Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Cyberpunk 2077, etc...

also if you haven't, try installing some of the games on one of your faster drives.
models, textures, etc loading faster can sometimes help a bit with fps.

also make sure your Windows Power Plan is set properly for gaming.

Solution