yaboibaron

Reputable
Oct 12, 2017
So I just scored a 3080 and got it today! My only issue is, man this card runs hot. Idle temps are in the 50’s too! Now, I do have the NZXT H510 case which is not the best for airflow but I didn’t think it would be this bad. I undervolted as well and no help. Would it be worth to put kryonaut for the paste? Any other tips to increase cooling that doesn’t involve me getting a new case?

Solution
Adding on to RTX 2080's post:
The H510 has 2 - TWO whole exhausts of 140mm wide spacing. Quite lacking in effectively getting the heat out with a 300w+ gpu in there, and that's not taking into account what your cpu is.
What you're seeing is one of the H500's biggest flaws: limited cooling potential.

An alternative - if you don't want to change chassis, is to hybrid or custom cool the gpu, but after what you already spent to get the XC3 model, that doesn't seem like such a great idea.
Either way, you need to improve the gpu cooling - changing thermal paste will make little difference in this scenario.

Also, idle in 50C is perfectly fine. The fancy models have fan off modes that don't kick in until 60C(usually).
So I just scored a 3080 and got it today! My only issue is, man this card runs hot. Idle temps are in the 50’s too! Now, I do have the NZXT H510 case which is not the best for airflow but I didn’t think it would be this bad. I undervolted as well and no help. Would it be worth to put kryonaut for the paste? Any other tips to increase cooling that doesn’t involve me getting a new case?

Better/more case fans will help force more air in and out of your case. I'm sure that your thermal paste is fine, its brand new and bad airflow is likely the issue here.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Adding on to RTX 2080's post:
The H510 has 2 - TWO whole exhausts of 140mm wide spacing. Quite lacking in effectively getting the heat out with a 300w+ gpu in there, and that's not taking into account what your cpu is.
What you're seeing is one of the H500's biggest flaws: limited cooling potential.

An alternative - if you don't want to change chassis, is to hybrid or custom cool the gpu, but after what you already spent to get the XC3 model, that doesn't seem like such a great idea.
Either way, you need to improve the gpu cooling - changing thermal paste will make little difference in this scenario.

Also, idle in 50C is perfectly fine. The fancy models have fan off modes that don't kick in until 60C(usually).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS