[SOLVED] RTX 3080ti question

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
Hi im trying to upgrade my gpu and was wondering if my computer can handle it and if it fit my computer case. my psu is cosair rm750i and motherboard is maxmuis hero vii and my current gpu s geforce 970. the 970 gpu already look like only 2inch of free space left so i dont know if the 3080 will fit too.

image0.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
Nice pic, love the coloured LED on the cooler. Gives a little bling without being too flashy. Also that's a Noctua case fan I see there, a man of good taste :)

The extra 16GB you say is coming, is not needed and won't really do anything at all. but hey, it's your money!

IDK what John Chesterfield is on about, you said in your very first post that you have an RM750, so you have the perfect PSU for any 30 series card. But yes, for sure your PC can definitely "handle" an RTX 3060 or 3070 with a 750W top tier PSU, a 4790K CPU on a Maximus VII and 16GB RAM. Those cards would be very happy in that system. I probably would not get a 3080 or 3090 as that would be a slight waste with that CPU.

Would the card be happier with a much faster...
sorry about it. i think my case model is Phantom 410 - White.
  1. RTX 3080 ti is not released yet.
  2. There will be different models for the card. We don't know anything about card sizes.

Similar with RTX 3080 - find out size of particular card model first.

Phantom 410 gpu clearance is 305mm (without fan on drive cage).
If length of the card, you're getting, is less than 305mm, then it fits.

DSzymborski

Titan
In any case, is a CPU upgrade happening imminently? If not, I'd question the wisdom of pairing a 3080 Ti with a Haswell platform from 2014.

Though you may be forced to replace the CPU/motherboard even if you don't intend to; there are some serious issues with your PC upkeep from this picture. The inside of my vacuum cleaner is likely cleaner than that Intel heatsink choked with dust and the part of the system that can be seen in the picture looks like it hasn't been cleaned since, well, 2014. This is not an environment in which I'd chuck in anything that costs over a thousand bucks.

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
  1. RTX 3080 ti is not released yet.
  2. There will be different models for the card. We don't know anything about card sizes.
Similar with RTX 3080 - find out size of particular card model first.

Phantom 410 gpu clearance is 305mm (without fan on drive cage).
If length of the card, you're getting, is less than 305mm, then it fits.

ops, i guess i'll get the regular rtx 3080 and i looked it up seems like its 285mm so it should fit rght?

BTW - ram in your system is installed in wrong slots. Should be in same color ram slots.

was wondering do it make a difference not to sound rude im just asking because i never know that color have to be in the same slot cause i was planning to do 4x 8gb ram or you recommend doing 2x red 16gb? again this is not to sound rude im just wondering since im not a expert thanks

In any case, is a CPU upgrade happening imminently? If not, I'd question the wisdom of pairing a 3080 Ti with a Haswell platform from 2014.

Though you may be forced to replace the CPU/motherboard even if you don't intend to; there are some serious issues with your PC upkeep from this picture. The inside of my vacuum cleaner is likely cleaner than that Intel heatsink choked with dust and the part of the system that can be seen in the picture looks like it hasn't been cleaned since, well, 2014. This is not an environment in which I'd chuck in anything that costs over a thousand bucks.

cpu upgrade is coming this week if the motherboard dies on me then I will upgrade to a better one. ya i didnt clean the computer for like 3 years because I was too busy with work when the virus hit so now that the vaccine came out work is getting back to normal so I got time to play with my computer again I will clean it up this week when I install the cpu.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I’ve been trying to get a 3080 since March. Every single day I check every website that sells computer parts to see if any are in stock.

I’m also signed up to an alert service that notifies me the minute any 3080 comes in stock anywhere in the world, and I usually race to open the website as soon as it does, regardless of where it is since I will pay $200 international shipping at this point. But every time, by the time I get to adding the card to my basket, it’s already gone.

I’ve got a stock alert and gone through this maybe 15-20 times since March, but none this month since no 3080 cards have come back in stock at all this month, I guess because they were all stuck on the Ever Given, IDK.

I’m one of hundreds of thousands of people doing this exact same thing.

What I’m trying to say is that no, you’re not getting a 3080.

DSzymborski

Titan
I’ve been trying to get a 3080 since March. Every single day I check every website that sells computer parts to see if any are in stock.

I’m also signed up to an alert service that notifies me the minute any 3080 comes in stock anywhere in the world, and I usually race to open the website as soon as it does, regardless of where it is since I will pay $200 international shipping at this point. But every time, by the time I get to adding the card to my basket, it’s already gone.

I’ve got a stock alert and gone through this maybe 15-20 times since March, but none this month since no 3080 cards have come back in stock at all this month, I guess because they were all stuck on the Ever Given, IDK.

I’m one of hundreds of thousands of people doing this exact same thing.

What I’m trying to say is that no, you’re not getting a 3080.

Those stock alerts tend to be on the slow side. The best way is to either run the bot on your own end like Nvidia Snatcher or follow a Twitch stream like Falcodrin's. I got two 5900Xs and a 3080 over three drop alerts from the latter, all at MSRP.

Reactions: johnsoner13

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Those stock alerts tend to be on the slow side. The best way is to either run the bot on your own end like Nvidia Snatcher or follow a Twitch stream like Falcodrin's. I got two 5900Xs and a 3080 over three drop alerts from the latter, all at MSRP.
I think a Twitch stream is maybe a step too far. All I’m playing is hearthstone and evil genius 2 anyway ;)

was wondering do it make a difference
i was planning to do 4x 8gb ram or you recommend doing 2x red 16gb?
Yes, it makes significant difference. In correct ram slots you get dual channel memory operation. In wrong slots memory operates in single channel mode.

Your board supports max 32GB ram. With 4 ram slots - that is 4x 8GB config.
16GB ram modules are not supported and probably will not work.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi im trying to upgrade my gpu and was wondering if my computer can handle it and if it fit my computer case. my psu is cosair rm750i and motherboard is maxmuis hero vii and my current gpu s geforce 970. the 970 gpu already look like only 2inch of free space left so i dont know if the 3080 will fit too.

image0.jpg

VGA Card 305mm (w/o fan)
https://www.nzxt.com/products/phantom-410-white

So you have 305mm of space if dont use the fan to the left of the drive bay, more room than that if you remove that drive bay. (EDIT about 400mm with the bay removed)
https://www.tweaktown.com/image.php...6_19_nzxt_phantom_410_chassis_review_full.jpg

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Yeah, but you'd have to remove fan mounted on the front of the case AND the hd cages. That would give you a 305mm cleareance which should be enough for your standard 3080 (and most likely TIs). It would be a tight fit but you should be able to. And please dust off your pc. I can see that poor intel cooler being caked in dust. Can't even see the fins on the poor thing.

But let's be honest, before getting a 3080ti you should upgrade your whole build. CPU (and consequentially motherboard) are getting old.

Last edited:

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
Yeah, but you'd have to remove fan mounted on the front of the case AND the hd cages. That would give you a 305mm cleareance which should be enough for your standard 3080 (and most likely TIs). It would be a tight fit but you should be able to. And please dust off your pc. I can see that poor intel cooler being caked in dust. Can't even see the fins on the poor thing.

But let's be honest, before getting a 3080ti you should upgrade your whole build. CPU (and consequentially motherboard) are getting old.

ya my cpu is coming in a few days ima clean it up when im installing it

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Thats not true, the 305 is with the hard drive cage the fan talked about in the specks mounts to the video card side of the hard drive cage.

Removing the cage will give about 400mm of space.

EDIT I've built with that case a couple of times.
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4526/nzxt_phantom_410_chassis_review/index.html

This review shows a better pic of the fan mount and the pivot.

Last edited:

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
Yes, it makes significant difference. In correct ram slots you get dual channel memory operation. In wrong slots memory operates in single channel mode.

Your board supports max 32GB ram. With 4 ram slots - that is 4x 8GB config.
16GB ram modules are not supported and probably will not work.

so i put my red ram in the red slot and then i order black color ram to put in the black color slot is that correct?

Thats not true, the 305 is with the hard drive cage the fan talked about in the specks mounts to the video card side of the hard drive cage.

Removing the cage will give about 400mm of space.

EDIT I've built with that case a couple of times.
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4526/nzxt_phantom_410_chassis_review/index.html

This review shows a better pic of the fan mount and the pivot.

do you know how to take out the top case and the front casing?

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
What a weird question. Trolling or something?

No - ram doesn't have to be in any particular color. It can be in any color you want - black, blue, green, red, even in all possible RGB colors.

toughram05_1_3_3_1_1.jpg

im not trying to troll i really didnt know that putting on the same color slot matter. so if i install all 4 ram than it wont matter right? the only time t matter is when you put on the same color slot is if you have only 2 ram installed only is that correct? I guess I learned some new in this forum =)

so if i install all 4 ram than it wont matter right?
the only time t matter is when you put on the same color slot is if you have only 2 ram installed only is that correct?
Yes and yes.

You should really read user manual for your motherboard. All the info, how to properly install ram, can be found there.

The slot colors are usually indicative of memory channels.
Load up CPU-Z and go to the memory tab. If the channel says 'single' you are missing a free 5-10% memory performance increase.
Move the memory to the second and fourth slot from the CPU and then check what CPU-Z says again.

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
Yes and yes.

You should really read user manual for your motherboard. All the info, how to properly install ram, can be found there.

thanks I will read it thanks for giving so much tips.

The slot colors are usually indicative of memory channels.
Load up CPU-Z and go to the memory tab. If the channel says 'single' you are missing a free 5-10% memory performance increase.
Move the memory to the second and fourth slot from the CPU and then check what CPU-Z says again.

used cpu-z and the channel say single like you say. I will switch it and check again. If I plan to use all 4 slot what would the channel should say? just want to know for future when I plan to put 2 more inside.

used cpu-z and the channel say single like you say. I will switch it and check again. If I plan to use all 4 slot what would the channel should say? just want to know for future when I plan to put 2 more inside.
It will say 'dual' when the sticks are installed in the correct slots.
if you want to use 4 sticks you should get a 4-stick kit. That's the only way you get guarantee that they'll all work together in dual channel mode. It would still say 'dual' with 4 sticks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
It will say 'dual' when the sticks are installed in the correct slots.
if you want to use 4 sticks you should get a 4-stick kit. That's the only way you get guarantee that they'll all work together in dual channel mode. It would still say 'dual' with 4 sticks.

so you saying if i get another 2 of the same stick it might not work? and I should get this since its come in 4 stick?

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb...corsair_ddr3 vengeance-_-20-233-545-_-Product

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
ok got time today to clean the computer and upgraded my cpu to i7 4790k and changed out all the fan and added dust filter. do you think the comp can handle the 3 series gpu now? 2 more ddr3 ram coming heres the pic

lUtJrQE.jpg