[SOLVED] RTX 3080ti question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
Hi im trying to upgrade my gpu and was wondering if my computer can handle it and if it fit my computer case. my psu is cosair rm750i and motherboard is maxmuis hero vii and my current gpu s geforce 970. the 970 gpu already look like only 2inch of free space left so i dont know if the 3080 will fit too.

image0.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
Nice pic, love the coloured LED on the cooler. Gives a little bling without being too flashy. Also that's a Noctua case fan I see there, a man of good taste :)

The extra 16GB you say is coming, is not needed and won't really do anything at all. but hey, it's your money!

IDK what John Chesterfield is on about, you said in your very first post that you have an RM750, so you have the perfect PSU for any 30 series card. But yes, for sure your PC can definitely "handle" an RTX 3060 or 3070 with a 750W top tier PSU, a 4790K CPU on a Maximus VII and 16GB RAM. Those cards would be very happy in that system. I probably would not get a 3080 or 3090 as that would be a slight waste with that CPU.

Would the card be happier with a much faster...
Can your PC 'handle' it? Depends what you mean with 'handle'. Will it run? Yes. Should you do it with a 4790k? If you're running at 1440p or above, maybe. If you're running at 1080p, definitely not as you'll not be getting anywhere near the best out of the card. You don't sound like you want to do a full system upgrade now so if you are running at 1080p, really don't bother with a 3000 series card as you don't have the CPU grunt to fully drive it. That's not to be mean, that's just fact.

And all of that before we even know what power supply you are running..

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Nice pic, love the coloured LED on the cooler. Gives a little bling without being too flashy. Also that's a Noctua case fan I see there, a man of good taste :)

The extra 16GB you say is coming, is not needed and won't really do anything at all. but hey, it's your money!

IDK what John Chesterfield is on about, you said in your very first post that you have an RM750, so you have the perfect PSU for any 30 series card. But yes, for sure your PC can definitely "handle" an RTX 3060 or 3070 with a 750W top tier PSU, a 4790K CPU on a Maximus VII and 16GB RAM. Those cards would be very happy in that system. I probably would not get a 3080 or 3090 as that would be a slight waste with that CPU.

Would the card be happier with a much faster CPU? Sure. You could expect an extra 10FPS or so in certain games by upgrading CPU, motherboard and RAM. But if like me (and most people) you only have a 60Hz monitor anyway, and you use V-Sync and lock your FPS to 60 to avoid screen tearing, then you likely wouldn't even see that extra 10FPS.

Good job, and way to be frugal :)

Last edited:

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
  1. RTX 3080 ti is not released yet.
  2. There will be different models for the card. We don't know anything about card sizes.
Similar with RTX 3080 - find out size of particular card model first.

Phantom 410 gpu clearance is 305mm (without fan on drive cage).
If length of the card, you're getting, is less than 305mm, then it fits.

No there will not be different versions of the card. There will be only a LHR version produced. It is purely designed to stop cryptocurrency miners not to scalp them

Would the card be happier with a much faster CPU? Sure. You could expect an extra 10FPS or so in certain games by upgrading CPU, motherboard and RAM. But if like me (and most people) you only have a 60Hz monitor anyway, and you use V-Sync and lock your FPS to 60 to avoid screen tearing, then you likely wouldn't even see that extra 10FPS.

Good job, and way to be frugal :)

I didn't notice the RM750 in the first post, that is indeed more than enough.

But if you don't know what I'm on about with the rest of what I said, if like you, he has a 60hz monitor, what actual sense does it make to spend so much on a card to run at 60fps? Surely this isn't leveraging the power of the card and what he'd be paying all that money for? A lesser card with that system could deliver that 60fps?

And as for you implying that 16GB memory is not needed and 8GB is enough, it's been the case for a while now that 8GB just doesn't cut it with modern games. So upgrading to 16GB is a good move for the OP, I'm not sure that spending a fortune on a 3 series card is as good a move quite honestly, especially if running at 60Hz and 1080p.

You could upgrade to a 2060 or even 1660 super/Ti with that system and likely not see much difference between that and a lower tier 3 series card. I've had a 4790k and Z97k before this system and the 2080 I currently have was not fully utilised in that system.

It's not your money nor is it mine, so we need to be realistic in our advice to people. Different story if the OP is planning a system upgrade soon, but from what has been said that doesn't appear to be the case.

Solution

roieco

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
hey there,

may i ask
  • what do you plan to do with the 3080ti?
  • if its gaming
    • what resolution do you plan to use
    • what games/types of games do you like to play?
    • what is your monitor?
    • other specs of your build?
    • how often do you play?

hey there,

may i ask
  • what do you plan to do with the 3080ti?
  • if its gaming
    • what resolution do you plan to use
    • what games/types of games do you like to play?
    • what is your monitor?
    • other specs of your build?
    • how often do you play?
If I can get a 3080Ti for a non inflated price at launch I should be able to sell my 3080 for similar or even more so it would be a free upgrade. I was lucky and got my 3080 at launch.

It would be used for gaming at 1440p 144Hz or 4K 120Hz. I play various games, AAA shooters, racing, FS2020. I probably play on average 5-10 hrs a week.

The rest of my system is a 3700X with 2x16gb 3200mhz CL16 overclocked to 3600mhz CL16.

roieco

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
If I can get a 3080Ti for a non inflated price at launch I should be able to sell my 3080 for similar or even more so it would be a free upgrade. I was lucky and got my 3080 at launch.

It would be used for gaming at 1440p 144Hz or 4K 120Hz. I play various games, AAA shooters, racing, FS2020. I probably play on average 5-10 hrs a week.

The rest of my system is a 3700X with 2x16gb 3200mhz CL16 overclocked to 3600mhz CL16.

then why would you opt to upgrade your gpu? imho 3080 is more than enough at this time for any current game.
  • what frame rate do you currently get?
  • could your bottleneck be cpu? hd?

then why would you opt to upgrade your gpu? imho 3080 is more than enough at this time for any current game.
  • what frame rate do you currently get?
  • could your bottleneck be cpu? hd?
If I can upgrade for potentially zero cost then why not? I do also think it may help in future to have more than 10gb VRAM for 4K.

FPS depends on what settings I pick. Take Black Ops @ 1440p for example, max settings with RT off and DLSS set to balanced it probably averages 160fps but there are differences from map to map. However even turning on RT to lowest settings sees a noticeable drop in FPS, it’s been a while but I recall averaging about 120. If I lower game settings I can push the fps higher and monitoring cpu usage the 12 threads the game uses generally stay under 80% usage so the is no sign of being cpu limited. When going to 4K the cpu is even less of a concern.

roieco

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
well, as stated above, Nvidia just announced that all ti cards shall be LHR (lower hash rate), which means that they'll be less usable for miners.
as your card isn't LHR, once the ti versions are released, you may actually sell it (to miners) for more than you bought it.
which would be neat.

well, as stated above, Nvidia just announced that all ti cards shall be LHR (lower hash rate), which means that they'll be less usable for miners.
as your card isn't LHR, once the ti versions are released, you may actually sell it (to miners) for more than you bought it.
which would be neat.
I can already sell it privately for over twice what I paid for it. I can even sell it to a high street chain in the UK (CEX) who deal in secondhand electronics for 60% more than I paid, they will then add a mark up, tax and sell it on. I quite like that option as there is no risk of dealing with dodgy individuals in a private sale.

roieco

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
what I'm saying is that many of the buyers of 3080 are miners, as its more cost effective than NVIDIA's dedicated mining cards.
once all of the regular and ti rtx lines are LHR (which is soon), i'd expect the price of gaming only (LHR) cards to drop (no demand from miners) and i'd expect the price of mining capable cards (like yours) to rise (no new production, very capable mining card).

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
if like you, he has a 60hz monitor, what actual sense does it make to spend so much on a card to run at 60fps? Surely this isn't leveraging the power of the card and what he'd be paying all that money for? A lesser card with that system could deliver that 60fps?

It could, maybe. But in games like Black Ops Cold War with everything turned to Max, in a large open area with a lot going on, running at 1080p, I can drop to 40-50FPS on my RTX 3070. GPU horsepower isn't just about getting max FPS on a 120Hz Freesync monitor, it can also about maintaining a stable 60FPS on a 60Hz monitor, no matter how detailed or intricate the graphics get..

And as for you implying that 16GB memory is not needed and 8GB is enough

No. You should read these threads more carefully. OP has 16GB installed and another 16GB on the way. 32GB doesn't do a damn thing in games. But it's DDR3 anyway so probably not that expensive.

You could upgrade to a 2060 or even 1660 super/Ti with that system and likely not see much difference between that and a lower tier 3 series card. I've had a 4790k and Z97k before this system and the 2080 I currently have was not fully utilised in that system.

Depends what you throw at it. Would you see any difference in Hearthstone? No. Would you see the difference if you connected up an HTC Vive or a Valve Index and tried to run Star Wars Squadrons at 90FPS? Definitely. But VR is a special case. Even on a 2D monitor at 1080p and 60Hz it's very easy to max out an RTX2060, you just need to find the right game with the right amount of detail and effects. Assassin's Creed Valhalla on ULTRA will make a 2060 cry silicon tears.

The 4790K is still a very capable CPU, 7 years after its release:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-10500/2384vs4078

An i5 10500, which is fully 6 generations newer, only nets a base performance improvement of about 10-12%. You have to spend crazy amounts of money to get significantly faster, and games simply don't take advantage of that extra CPU speed that well. It's a waste of money.

It's not your money nor is it mine, so we need to be realistic in our advice to people. Different story if the OP is planning a system upgrade soon, but from what has been said that doesn't appear to be the case.

Sure. But he's not asking "Should I buy a 3080Ti", he's asking "Will my system handle it". I already advised against buying a 3080 or 3090 in my previous post as it's a bit of a waste, but ultimately he's a grown adult who can make his own decision about what to buy.

This is all academic anyway as nobody is getting a 3080 while Etherium miners are hoarding them all.

All fair points. But I see no merit in spending good money on hardware just to run at 60fps. I normally do read threads very carefully, I think I can be forgiven for missing a couple of things here as I'm currently feeling pretty terrible with a bout of Covid. But that said, if he has 16GB already then that's also spunking unnecessary money as like you say, it does nothing for games. I like to have a couple of VMs running in the background, otherwise I'd have just gone for 16GB. Unless the OP also wants to do such things, I think we both agree that he's wasting his money here.

The examples you give about the 2060 are, as you say in the case of VR, niche examples, as is running AAA games at full details. Nobody can do that without the very best. But for the cost of a 2060 against a 3080, the 3080 is not worth that price difference for the improvement in performance you'd get at 1080p and with an older CPU. 1440p, different story.

As regards the 4790k, I agree it's a great chip and still relevant. I know this having had one and only have a 3700x because last year, I feared I might be out of work this year so upgraded while I could. Is the 3700x better? Yes, but only for my use case running VMs in the background, it can do far more simultaneous things than the 4790k. Is its gaming performance better than the i7? Yes, and certainly noticeable. But would I be able to go back to the i7's gaming performance? Absolutely, it still had 8 threads and performed admirably for such an old CPU. Thing is, spending big on a graphics card at this particular point in time could possibly mean not being able to upgrade system for a couple of years. And while the i7 is still relevant now, a lot can change in a year like it did with the 4-thread i5s. They started to struggle with games and within a year, most AAA games were maxing them out. So while the 4790k is good now, the longer time goes on, the more the chance it'll become less effective as a gaming chip.

Asking if your system can 'handle' a 3080 is pretty much letting people know you're considering buying one, I know he's a grown adult but buyer's remorse doesn't discriminate with age. I do get your point though, its their money to do with as they please.

You're right about 3080 availability, that's dire and will be so for some time. I guess from my point of view, this is also all academic if discussing 1080p gaming. I just don't think it's worth it as the emphasis then is on CPU, which is what we're discussing here. I ran the 4790k with the 2080 at 1440p, that's more balanced as you become more GPU limited and that's why the i7 could hold its own. But not 1080p, pairing a 3080 with a 7 year old chip for 1080p seems a bit futile to me.

All my opinion of course, which is what the forums are for. That's what I'd do, you may do different and the OP may again do different.

Reactions: Phaaze88

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
so today i got a chance to get a 3090 and i took that. im using the graphic card to mine a bit until i built a updated pc . my thinking is if the 3090 card dont work out on mining on my current pc i can always sell it on ebay for double the price. i know my pc is outdated and cant add anymore newer part to it unless i upgrade the motherboard and cpu. the card is not for gaming since i hardly play games now im too busy with work these days and dont have time to play. im just want to give mining a try and had a chance to get the 3090 now the question is will my current pc able to use the 3090 to mine?

so today i got a chance to get a 3090 and i took that. im using the graphic card to mine a bit until i built a updated pc . my thinking is if the 3090 card dont work out on mining on my current pc i can always sell it on ebay for double the price. i know my pc is outdated and cant add anymore newer part to it unless i upgrade the motherboard and cpu. the card is not for gaming since i hardly play games now im too busy with work these days and dont have time to play. im just want to give mining a try and had a chance to get the 3090 now the question is will my current pc able to use the 3090 to mine?
As long as the psu is of high quality the rest of the system doesn’t matter that much for mining. You and can use a very weak system with a strong gpu for mining, it’s more important to have a power efficient system. However mining on a 3090 can be problematic, it can be very hard to keep the vram temperatures at a safe level. I suggest you look into vram temperature and mining on a 3090.

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
ya im planning to buy the evga hybrid cooler since i picked a zotac 3090 halo tonight also when they dropped and got the evga xc3 in the morning. which one you prefer to use for mining? the zotac 3090 halo amp or the evga xc3? i heard the zotac 3090 halo amp is zotac top of the line 3090 and has better cooling and for evga xc3 i can buy their hybrid cooler to cool it down. now im just deciding which one to use.

ok got time today to clean the computer and upgraded my cpu to i7 4790k and changed out all the fan and added dust filter. do you think the comp can handle the 3 series gpu now? 2 more ddr3 ram coming heres the pic

So you have 2 sticks and you ordered another 2 of the exact same model...?
You should always get all the sticks you want to use in a build, in a matching kit. Hopefully you don't run into any issues. Even if the models show the exact same model number the underlying chips/arcitecture can be different, causing issues when someone tries to put them together in dual channel.

Also, for two sticks operation, memory should be in the second and fourth slots, not the first and third. (according to the manual)

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
So you have 2 sticks and you ordered another 2 of the exact same model...?
You should always get all the sticks you want to use in a build, in a matching kit. Hopefully you don't run into any issues. Even if the models show the exact same model number the underlying chips/arcitecture can be different, causing issues when someone tries to put them together in dual channel.

Also, for two sticks operation, memory should be in the second and fourth slots, not the first and third. (according to the manual)

yes same model i can always return it and order 4 stick. should i return and order 4 stick kit?