Question RTX 3090/3090 ti vs. AMD 6950XT

Apr 10, 2022
I’m stuck deciding what to upgrade my gpu to. Any price difference will not influence my decision since it’s for work. My PC is used mostly for video editing/compositing/VFX 4k/6k/8k RAW footage in After Effects, however I play warzone on it from time to time as well. From the research I’ve done they’re all great cards. Let me know your opinion, and If you believe the better option to be nvidia; Is the 3090 ti, regardless of the price difference, actually worth it over the 3090? Everything is the same other than what seems to be a small overclock for 30% more power usage, seems a bit ridiculous to me, and I may have to get a bigger psu if I got it. Thank you.

Other System Specs:
Ryzen 9 5950x
128gb DDR4
3 nvme SSD 1 HDD
850w PSU

When it comes to video work, VRAM is one of the most significant deciding factor for processing. The 3090Ti does not offer anything extra there. Overall it might give you a little more performance considering the other specs, but at that price tag its upto you whether it justifies the price/performance delta. Personally, I dont think its worth the extra cost.

Here is a perspective from Adobe Premiere Pro...
"Overall, the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti does well in Premiere Pro, but it is at most only a few percent faster than the RTX 3090. Considering that the RTX 3090 Ti has a $500 higher MSRP, requires up to 100W more power, and doesn't have more VRAM than the RTX 3090, the RTX 3090 Ti is likely not worth the investment for most Premiere Pro users. "
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro---NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3090-Ti-Performance-2302/#:~:text=As we noted earlier, the,power draw and price tag.

AMD wins at 1440 and 1080p
NVIDIA wins at Ray Tracing and 4K and encoding quality.

The 3090Ti is $500 more expensive, but it doesn't have the dual sided RAM overheat issue the 3090 does. All the mem chips are on the front side where they are cooled by the main heatsink

You'll get a much better bang for your buck out of AMD, but NVIDIA is the superior card.