dhruvky94

Reputable
Feb 1, 2017
Hi All,

So I recently finished my build and got some time yesterday to play around with my PC. I noticed right out of the box, my RTX 3090 FE was underperforming compared to the benchmarks/scores people have posted to forums. Here my PC specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5900X (Stock)

Cooler: NZXT X63

Ram: GSkill Tidentz NEO 3600MHZ

SSD: Samsung 1 TB EVO PLUS

GPU: RTX 3090 FE (Installed in PCIE first slot with Gen 4)

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero X570

PSU: Corsair RM1000X

Case: NZXT H710

I change my GPU's power management to: "Prefer high performance" and results improved a bit, but I am still not able to achieve 60 FPS 4k lock in games where I should.

Here is the timespy's best result (graphics only) with a very aggressive fan curve: 19,165

With out of the box setting: 19,020

AC⭕

Setting: 4k, Ultra high

Issue: FPS drops to 54 during open world gameplay

Control:

Setting: 4k, DLSS: 1440p, RTX - High, Graphic- High

Issue: FPS drops to 50 during any action/new area

I am not sure what the issue is.... max temp for GPU is 69 with default fan curve...

Thanks for your inputs!

Last edited:
Your RAM is 2 slot or any other combination? If it's 2 slot, make sure they are in the correct slots 2 and 4 or 1 and 3 which can be found in your motherboard's manual.

Do you have xmp/docp enabled?

Latest windows updates and chipset drivers (from amd site, not motherboard manufacturer's site)?
I am assuming that you do have latest BIOS, otherwise you couldn't use the 5900X.

dhruvky94

Reputable
Feb 1, 2017
Your RAM is 2 slot or any other combination? If it's 2 slot, make sure they are in the correct slots 2 and 4 or 1 and 3 which can be found in your motherboard's manual.

Do you have xmp/docp enabled?

Latest windows updates and chipset drivers (from amd site, not motherboard manufacturer's site)?
I am assuming that you do have latest BIOS, otherwise you couldn't use the 5900X.

Yup it's dual channel in the correct slots. Even DOCP is enabled and the RAM modules run at 3600 MHZ.
Windows is latest but chipset drivers were downloaded from motherboard's site since I couldn't find them in AMD's site.
Btw, this score is for graphics only, not the overall score. I am supposed to get 20K + score in graphics but only get 19,000.

Arabinda0007

Commendable
Aug 13, 2020
Assuming Fresh Copy of Windows 10 Already Been Installed.
Try the Following
1. Download & Install Latest AMD Chipset Drivers
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/socket-fp5-mobile/amd-ryzen-and-athlon-mobile-chipset
  1. Navigate to Control Panel\System and Security\Power Options Change to Ryzen High Performance Plan
  2. Cleanup The installed Driver using DDU & Reinstall the latest Nvidia Driver.
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

dhruvky94

Reputable
Feb 1, 2017
Assuming Fresh Copy of Windows 10 Already Been Installed.
Try the Following
1. Download & Install Latest AMD Chipset Drivers
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/socket-fp5-mobile/amd-ryzen-and-athlon-mobile-chipset
  1. Navigate to Control Panel\System and Security\Power Options Change to Ryzen High Performance Plan
  2. Cleanup The installed Driver using DDU & Reinstall the latest Nvidia Driver.
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Yes, it's a fresh Windows 10 install. Will get latest AMD chipset drivers from AMD website, thanks!
Also, I was reading somewhere that it's better to set the PCIE slot on X570 motherboard to gen 4 manually. Will that help?

dhruvky94

Reputable
Feb 1, 2017
You can try but I don't think it should have that much of a difference. Did you use DDU?

Ok so now I have updated AMD chipset drivers as well as used DDU to do a clean driver install. Didn't get any significant difference in scores or FPS.

The speeds are quite low compared to benchmarks I have seen online. It hits max 1800 MHZ on core with reason being Power limit.

dhruvky94

Reputable
Feb 1, 2017
Well, base clock is 1395 and boost clock is 1695 for FE cards so your 1800 is good I suppose.

Just googled it and most 3090s go around 1820-1850 MHz so that small difference shouldn't be a prob.

Try reseating the GPU and also try different benchmark and see if there is lower scores as well.

1800 is actually the peak boost clock..... it reaches that only for 1 sec.... Average boost clock is around 1730 Mhz.
I did try re-seating the GPU again and there was no change.... speaking of other benchmarks, I am in the lower 25% across all the benchmarks : Timespy, Timespy Extreme, Port Royal etc.
Even in games I am getting drops to mid 50s in games it should maintain locked 60 fps.

Well, it would be surprising to be something else since you can see the clocks not going high enough. You can try the GPU in another system if possible to see if it boosts to the same clocks.

The other thing to consider is the PSU. Do you have seperate cables going to the 12pin adapter or is it just one with daisy chain? If it is daisy chain, try 2 seperate ones.

Reactions: dhruvky94

dhruvky94

Reputable
Feb 1, 2017
Well, it would be surprising to be something else since you can see the clocks not going high enough. You can try the GPU in another system if possible to see if it boosts to the same clocks.

The other thing to consider is the PSU. Do you have seperate cables going to the 12pin adapter or is it just one with daisy chain? If it is daisy chain, try 2 seperate ones.

I do have another system but the PSU is just 620 W so my card will not work there. I have powered the GPU through two separate cables as recommended in the NVIDIA user manual. Could 62c temp be the reason for lower clocks? I wish we could see the graphs of temps vs clocks.

62C is very good temp so it's not the reason.

Do not use the 620W PSU with the 3090. You can use the RM1000X in the other build but if it still shows the same clocks in the other system, then again you won't be sure if it's PSUs fault or not. Which I doubt it.
It will only help if you see higher clocks.

dhruvky94

Reputable
Feb 1, 2017
62C is very good temp so it's not the reason.

Do not use the 620W PSU with the 3090. You can use the RM1000X in the other build but if it still shows the same clocks in the other system, then again you won't be sure if it's PSUs fault or not. Which I doubt it.
It will only help if you see higher clocks.

Hmmm... fair points.... I think RMA may be the only option here. Thanks for all your inputs!

dhruvky94

Reputable
Feb 1, 2017
One additional observation: I used game mode on my Ryzen 5900x and the score immediately improved by 200 pts for the graphics test but dropped for the CPU part. Could my CPU be holding back the Graphics score of my GPU? If so, I don't need to RMA the GPU at all!