Question RTX 3090 FE Major Performance Issues

Nov 22, 2022
Hello All!
I recently bought and installed a used RTX 3090 FE into my rig that worked fantastic until I upped to voltage in the MSI afterburner while testing overclock.

My system specs are as followed
CPU: Ryzen 3600 (5800x3D on the way)
MB: ASUS X570 tuf gaming Plus
RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3600mhz
SSD(s): 2TB Hynix Plat M2 / 1TB SP M2 GPU:
RTX 3090 FE
PSU: Corsair RMX 850w

The card worked perfectly right after installation and with some overclocking it was very stable with no issues in a few hours of playing MW2. I started to mess around with the GPU voltage and my frames dropped to 30fps with 100% GPU usage so I reset the settings to default in afterburner and still found myself getting horrible performance even at default power/clock speeds - I’ve done the following to troubleshoot:
Used DDU and reinstalled drivers
Made sure that the PCIE slot was set to x16 in the bios
Ran a separate power cord for the other 8pin on the splitter (I was only running a single that piggybacked before and saw that was a potential issue)
Fresh Install of Windows

Some things of note: in GPU-Z it says my power usage is like 250% One 8pin is doing 350w while the other sits around 40W according to GPU-z as well. Temps stay around 30-40c also so it's not a thermal throttle issue

Quite stumped and would greatly appreciate any help

Nov 22, 2022
I’ve seemed to pin-point that the GPU core clock stays at the lowest speed 200ish MHz without jumping up at all - can’t seem to fix but that seems to be the root of the issue

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How did you raise voltage in Afterburner?
-via the voltage slider.
-via Curve Editor.
FYI, the first one doesn't really do anything, and hasn't for years. It would then mean the recent incident was a coincidence with something else lying in wait...

Got another PC to test the card in?

Nov 22, 2022
How did you raise voltage in Afterburner?
-via the voltage slider.
-via Curve Editor.
FYI, the first one doesn't really do anything, and hasn't for years. It would then mean the recent incident was a coincidence with something else lying in wait...

Got another PC to test the card in?

Just the voltage slider - no other PC to test in but I do have another graphics card to drop in to test.