[SOLVED] RTX 3090 frame cap v-sync tearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac_34

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Hi!

I just got a new computer here again, but I'm having an issue with vsync in certain games. I use an X34P G-sync monitor, and I want to run Doom Eternal or Cyberpunk at a high framerate. However, the games are capped at 60 fps with vsync on. If I turn vsync off, there's tearing.

Other games wil run vsync on without a framerate cap (like Crysis Remastered), so what gives? I've googled this issue, but I can't find a solution. I didn't have this issue the last time I had a computer (RTX 2080 ti).

Please let me know how to fix this, thanks! :)

(RTX 3090, Geforce 461.40, latest Windows 10 version, Steam)

Turn off v-sync, it adds lag and when working will cap FPS to the monitors refresh rate. Just use G-Sync and if needed set an FPS limit in NVIDIA control panel at 98, 99, 100 FPS. You should only need a limit if you have tearing issues when your FPS is higher than the 100Hz refresh rate.

Mac_34

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Thanks for the reply, but I'd much rather use vsync+g-sync, because I still get some tearing with vsync off either way. With vsync on, I cap the framerate at a couple of frames below the monitor's refresh rate, so latency isn't a big deal.

With my previous PC, I could play Doom Eternal with vsync at 117fps. What changed? I can't seem to figure the issue here. Other games like Red Dead Redemption 2 runs just fine above 60 fps with vsync+g-sync on. Control is another game that now is capped at 60 fps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

V-Sync was not working if the FPS was not a multiple of the monitors refresh rate. For example a 60Hz monitor with V-Sync can only operate at 15, 30 or 60fps. You might see maybe 58, 59, 61 or 62 as FPS software is not always 100% accurate.

If you are getting tearing with V-Sync off your FPS is with higher than the monitors refresh rate or if lower the G-Sync is not working. G-Sync if working will eliminate screen tearing. With a G-Sync monitor there is no need to suffer the extra lag of V-Sync. Have you enabled G-Sync in NVIDIA control panel? Are you using display port?

Does the G-Sync demo work? https://www.nvidia.co.uk/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

Mac_34

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Thanks for the input, but I think maybe you misunderstand g-sync.

G-sync should be used with vsync to avoid tearing, and capping the framerate below the monitor removes lag, though I already explained this. This way, the fps fluctuate freely, not like the older dual buffered vsync at 30, 45, 60 etc. Also most modern games use triple buffered vsync anyway, so it's not an issue. I capped the framerate at 117 without vsync (my monitor is 120hz), and there still was tearing.

Vsync at +60fps used to work before, and I would really like to get it working again. Does anyone know why I can't get Doom Eternal (and some other games) above 60fps with vsync enabled? Is there a setting I've missed, a buggy driver from Nvidia etc? (G-sync is enabled in Nvidia properties, and it works in other games, and I use Display Port.)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, but I think maybe you misunderstand how g-sync. G-sync should be used with vsync to avoid tearing, and capping the framerate below the monitor removes lag. I already explained this. This way, also the fps fluctuate freely, not like the older dual buffered vsync at 30, 45, 60 etc. Also most modern games has triple buffered vsync anyway, so it's not an issue. I capped the framerate at 117, and there still was tearing in Doom Eternal, for whatever reason.

Vsync at +60fps used to work before, and I would really like to get it working again. Does anyone know why I can't get Doom Eternal (and some other games) above 60fps with vsync enabled. Is there a setting I've missed, is it a buggy driver from Nvidia..etc..? (G-sync is enabled in Nvidia properties.) Thanks.
Your understanding is wrong, I think you are mixing up V-Sync and Fast-Sync. Here backs up what I am saying https://monitors-uk.com/g-sync-free...dia cards, the 10 series, include Fast-Sync.

Status
Not open for further replies.