[SOLVED] RTX 3090 on 1080p 120Hz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
If money is not the issue would it be better to get a 10700k or 10900k or is it just not worth it?
If money isn't an issue, then the 10-9, but this and the 10-7 have next to no OC headroom; Intel really pushed the envelope on these 2 cpus.
Do not get one thinking you're going to overclock the crap out of it, because it's not happening.

The current prices of a used 2080ti is dropping like crazy, Do you think its not smart to buy a used one?
I honestly think it's too soon to say. We need something to compare it to... you know, the 30 series cards that haven't launched yet? We need to see just how much of Nvidia's marketing was fluff.
Though, if it's a crazy price, like 300USD, even I'd hesitate to jump on it, and I'm not...
May 8, 2020
1)The higher we go in resolution, the easier the work gets for the cpu and the harder it gets for the gpu. Vice versa when going in the opposite direction.
Generally true for in game graphics settings.

2)Fps lows are driven by the cpu + ram frequency, fps maxiums are gpu.

When one is playing 1080p ultra high refresh, the goal should be on the highest possible lows to avoid fps dips below 200+.
Therefore, those users should focus on the fastest possible cpu and ram frequency combination they can afford. The gpu plays second fiddle here, and does not contribute much to that objective; What's the point in having a 500fps max if there's still drops below 200 or whatever.
Plus, folks pushing ultra high refresh typically aren't running high/ultra in game settings anyway.

TL;DR: Folks pushing ultra high refresh 1080p are almost entirely cpu + ram frequency bound. A high end gpu isn't required.
Cpu: 10600K. This cpu can be overclocked to 10700K and 10900K levels of performance and doesn't require as extreme cooling, compared to the other 2. It's a little more affordable, and the money can be spent elsewhere.
Ram: dual channel, 3600mhz or higher. Intel setups aren't as sensitive to ram speeds and timings like Ryzen is, but do continue to scale up past Ryzen's hard limit of 3733mhz, albeit with diminishing returns. So it depends on your wallet/bank.
Gpu: 3070/2080Ti. I really don't see any reason to go higher than that besides e-peen.

You're not missing ANYTHING with PCIe Gen 4 either. It benefits the following:
-Multi-NVMe setups handling large packets of data between them
-NVLinked halo gpus(3090)
-Gpus already lacking Vram - 5500XT/1650 anyone?
Thanks so much this is the response i was searching for. That is exactly the goal I play mainly fortnite on all low setting on 1080p or sometimes even a slightly lower stretched res. If money is not the issue would it be better to get a 10700k or 10900k or is it just not worth it? The current prices of a used 2080ti is dropping like crazy, Do you think its not smart to buy a used one?
I just want as consistent 200+ fps as possible

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If money is not the issue would it be better to get a 10700k or 10900k or is it just not worth it?
If money isn't an issue, then the 10-9, but this and the 10-7 have next to no OC headroom; Intel really pushed the envelope on these 2 cpus.
Do not get one thinking you're going to overclock the crap out of it, because it's not happening.

The current prices of a used 2080ti is dropping like crazy, Do you think its not smart to buy a used one?
I honestly think it's too soon to say. We need something to compare it to... you know, the 30 series cards that haven't launched yet? We need to see just how much of Nvidia's marketing was fluff.
Though, if it's a crazy price, like 300USD, even I'd hesitate to jump on it, and I'm not a fan of buying 2nd hand at all...

Reactions: Redrum38
Solution