[SOLVED] RTX 3090 on 1080p 120Hz

Solution
If money is not the issue would it be better to get a 10700k or 10900k or is it just not worth it?
If money isn't an issue, then the 10-9, but this and the 10-7 have next to no OC headroom; Intel really pushed the envelope on these 2 cpus.
Do not get one thinking you're going to overclock the crap out of it, because it's not happening.

The current prices of a used 2080ti is dropping like crazy, Do you think its not smart to buy a used one?
I honestly think it's too soon to say. We need something to compare it to... you know, the 30 series cards that haven't launched yet? We need to see just how much of Nvidia's marketing was fluff.
Though, if it's a crazy price, like 300USD, even I'd hesitate to jump on it, and I'm not...
3090 on 1080P is not an good upgrade but you could always save abit more and try and get 4k or 2k Monitor and play at that screen. 3090 is going to be good GPU and playing it on 1080P is not great use for it. I rethink if your planning on buying 3090 what are your current specs because you could start uprading your PC bit by bit to make it worth getting 3090

AlienwareGamerALX

Prominent
Jul 16, 2019
I m using a titanxp now, i want to experience RTX without losing VRAM or performance.
so the only options i see are [RTX Titan] [RTX 3090]

even 2080ti has less Vram than mine.

if you had a titanxp, which gpu would you choose to have a boost in VRAM + performance + RTX ?

Last edited:
I m using a titanxp now, i want to experience RTX without losing VRAM or performance.

if you had a titanxp, which gpu would you take to upgrade and get RTX gaining VRAM and performance?
Why do you need that much VRAM if gaming at 1080p? You are paying for something you can’t utilise. Extra VRAM does not add performance, you just need a sufficient amount.

if you had a titanxp, which gpu would you choose to have a boost in VRAM + performance + RTX ?

Sorry but your wasting your cash if your getting the new GPU if your playing on 1080P because half gpu wont even get used. Also with the new GPU coming out 10GB-24GB Vram is still good for gaming even if 3070-3080 has less then titanxp still better but kinda waste of cash!. Have you got PSU that meet the needs of 3090 and an good CPU. But anyway listen to people feedback because there correct!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If you had a titanxp, which gpu would you choose to have a boost in VRAM + performance + RTX ?
Neither! I'd move up in resolution first!
I'd have moved to 1440p or 4K when I was getting the Titan card.

Well, that's tough, because 1080p doesn't even need 11GBs of Vram; 8GBs is still sufficient, and you're considering a card with 24GBs of Vram as an upgrade.
:unsure:

AlienwareGamerALX

Prominent
Jul 16, 2019
index.php

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Chart #1
You are aware that FS2020 was launched in a half-assed state, right? This sample isn't representative of the final product.
It currently only runs DX11 and 4 cpu threads, so literally everyone is cpu limited in that game. DX12 and other optimizations are to be installed over time.
Plus, no cpu currently available can maintain the 2080Ti above 90% usage at 1080p. What does one expect will happen with a 3090?

Chart #2
That sample doesn't tell anyone much of anything.
Cpu bound in SOMETHING at 1080p and 1440p with a 9900K + 2080Ti, on DX 11, after which it shifts to gpu bound at 4K.
This isn't helping your case for wanting to get a 3090 at 1080p.

Chart #3
This one also doesn't say much of anything.
I have to borrow the following quote as to why:
BEWARE, almost all video games will consume more vram than it needs. There's a set limit on how much the game engine requires, then it uses some or the rest of your VRAM for other non important stuff. Very similar to Windows 10, how it will use all your RAM but like half of it most of the time is just extra stuff that isn't important. (Easy test, transfer a video from one hard drive to another, if large enough, all your RAM should be saturated according to task manager (under standby data).

If you want to get a 3090 regardless of all the comments saying not to, well hey, no one can stop you.

Reactions: brewcrew650

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Chart #1
You are aware that FS2020 was launched in a half-assed state, right? This sample isn't representative of the final product.
It currently only runs DX11 and 4 cpu threads, so literally everyone is cpu limited in that game. DX12 and other optimizations are to be installed over time.
Plus, no cpu currently available can maintain the 2080Ti above 90% usage at 1080p. What does one expect will happen with a 3090?

Chart #2
That sample doesn't tell anyone much of anything.
Cpu bound in SOMETHING at 1080p and 1440p with a 9900K + 2080Ti, on DX 11, after which it shifts to gpu bound at 4K.
This isn't helping your case for wanting to get a 3090 at 1080p.

Chart #3
This one also doesn't say much of anything.
I have to borrow the following quote as to why:

If you want to get a 3090 regardless of all the comments saying not to, well hey, no one can stop you.
Getting a 3090 for a 120hz display at 1080p is like getting a 3970x and use no more then 4 cores with a supposed 5Ghz clock. A 2080 will beat it in rendering so all those cores are to waiste. The new Premiere both decodes and encodes with GPU now the latest version that is. Also there is Format Factory a free cute app. You render with GPU its 600 percent faster then CPU. TLDR 🤷‍♀️💯☮🙏

A AMD chip will never compete with a Intel for gaming as of right now just like AMD cant compete with nVidia at the moment and probably forever. AMD is always second place. All those poor cores sitting idle with slow single performance speed. Programs are optimized for Intel and slowly for AMD as well. Look we care for you unless you dont mind completly blowing a couple thousand then go for it. But yoru blowing it big time for 1080p gaming. All you need is a 1070 or 2060 for 1080p fast gaming. The 3090 is for 2k and 4k gaming. Mostly 2k with all AA methods turned on and nVidia panel settings maxed out and in game settings maxed out and get 144fps to match display in any game now and in the future. So Im thinking easy 200fps with some dips. But 4k resolution will just make things small and slow things up a great deal to 100fps. Not worth it once you use AA methods for 2k resolution. 👌🤷‍♀️✝🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😲

AlienwareGamerALX

Prominent
Jul 16, 2019
Getting a 3090 for a 120hz display at 1080p is like getting a 3970x and use no more then 4 cores with a supposed 5Ghz clock. A 2080 will beat it in rendering so all those cores are to waiste. The new Premiere both decodes and encodes with GPU now the latest version that is. Also there is Format Factory a free cute app. You render with GPU its 600 percent faster then CPU. TLDR 🤷‍♀️💯☮🙏

A AMD chip will never compete with a Intel for gaming as of right now just like AMD cant compete with nVidia at the moment and probably forever. AMD is always second place. All those poor cores sitting idle with slow single performance speed. Programs are optimized for Intel and slowly for AMD as well. Look we care for you unless you dont mind completly blowing a couple thousand then go for it. But yoru blowing it big time for 1080p gaming. All you need is a 1070 or 2060 for 1080p fast gaming. The 3090 is for 2k and 4k gaming. Mostly 2k with all AA methods turned on and nVidia panel settings maxed out and in game settings maxed out and get 144fps to match display in any game now and in the future. So Im thinking easy 200fps with some dips. But 4k resolution will just make things small and slow things up a great deal to 100fps. Not worth it once you use AA methods for 2k resolution. 👌🤷‍♀️✝🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😲
no, my pc is from 2012, my cpu is 3970x@5ghz from 2012 (intel 6/12 !)

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/i...extreme-edition-15m-cache-up-to-4-00-ghz.html

AMD is using the same name of this old sandy-E

WhiteWolfOW_

Prominent
Mar 13, 2019
I've had a similar query, however i was interested in seeing if a 3080 or 3090 would be able to help me in my endeavor to hitting 240FPS but also not having to downgrade to potato graphics in video games.

Feedback has been relatively mixed, some people saying for that niche example the 3080 or 3090 wouldn't be a complete waste, while others say it would because of CPU bottle-necking.

I think what is really lacking when answering these kinds of questions is actual explanation, people always just say "Not it isn't worth" or "Your CPU will just bottleneck the card" but never actually elaborate on how and why this occurs / is the case.

So yeah, the OP in the thread is liable to buy a 3090, if no one can actually explain why a 3090 is a bad purchase in a way that helps them learn.

A good argument against for instance;

OP you won't actually notice any difference between a 3090 or 3070 at 120Hz outside of your FPS potentially being bigger on some titles, of which anything over 120FPS is pointless.

The 2080ti is already capable of well exceeding 120FPS in almost all titles, thus X% increase is pointless due to it actually serving no purpose.

If you were hypothetically going to upgrade to a higher Hertz monitor (240) for instance, a 144 / 240 Hz 1440p monitor OR a 4k monitor it WOULD be a good purchase. Outside of this, exceeding 120FPS serves zero purpose for you.

Which means the answer to your question is completely dependent upon if you are actually going to utilize the extra power, which at 1080p would only be applicable on 240Hz monitor, of which an AIB 3080 would probably be equal to a 3090, and certainly wouldn't be worth if you didn't have a monster CPU to accompany the GPU. For your current setup, it absolutely is not worth, mainly due to the hertz.

Reactions: Nhilar

nmb255

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
I think the OP knows what he wants, even if the majority beleive he doesn't know why. From his question and charts, I read this. He wants the very best FPS possible in Flight Sim 2020 and RTX.

From where he is, then today the 2080ti is really the only UPgrade option to give him both [very little] more FPS and RTX. In a few weeks time the 30xx series come along and that gives a few more options.

As the 2080ti at current prices makes zero sense for anyone, then a 30xx would be the right decision to get RTX. The unknown is if the 3070, 3080 or 3090 is correct choice until we get the benchmarks. Hopefully, for the OP, the benchmarks in Flight Sim at 1080p on an old CPU platform.

OP: The answer to is the 3090 a good upgrade for you - unknown at the moment, but suspected it is not. The 3080 be the more balance upgrade and spend the difference on a better monitor. That way you should get more FPS, RTX and better details.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I think the OP knows what he wants, even if the majority beleive he doesn't know why. From his question and charts, I read this. He wants the very best FPS possible in Flight Sim 2020 and RTX.

From where he is, then today the 2080ti is really the only UPgrade option to give him both [very little] more FPS and RTX. In a few weeks time the 30xx series come along and that gives a few more options.

As the 2080ti at current prices makes zero sense for anyone, then a 30xx would be the right decision to get RTX. The unknown is if the 3070, 3080 or 3090 is correct choice until we get the benchmarks. Hopefully, for the OP, the benchmarks in Flight Sim at 1080p on an old CPU platform.

OP: The answer to is the 3090 a good upgrade for you - unknown at the moment, but suspected it is not. The 3080 be the more balance upgrade and spend the difference on a better monitor. That way you should get more FPS, RTX and better details.
Yes, they know what they want, but it's for the wrong reasons.
This looks like one of those cases where the OP has already made up their mind, but they'll keep asking around anyway until they hear what they want and will even post some kind of evidence - the above 3 samples actually work against them - to support their choice.

Straight up, in the months to come, imma laugh my butt off for every thread I find with 3090 owners running on 1080p screens. Doesn't matter that they're ultra high refresh either, because those are cpu driven, not gpu.
Like, "Nice gpu, but the setup as a whole looks lopsided as heck now!" :ROFLMAO:

May 8, 2020
Yes, they know what they want, but it's for the wrong reasons.
This looks like one of those cases where the OP has already made up their mind, but they'll keep asking around anyway until they hear what they want and will even post some kind of evidence - the above 3 samples actually work against them - to support their choice.

Straight up, in the months to come, imma laugh my butt off for every thread I find with 3090 owners running on 1080p screens. Doesn't matter that they're ultra high refresh either, because those are cpu driven, not gpu.
Like, "Nice gpu, but the setup as a whole looks lopsided as heck now!" :ROFLMAO:
what do you think the best option for 1080p gaming is at 240+ fps? Is a 2080ti with a 10700k a better option than the 3080 with a 3900x beinf that the cpu could hold back the gpu. Im aware the 2080ti is more than enough to achieve 240+ fps but the lack of pcie 4 support on 10th gen intel has me worried about buying a 3080. (I need to have the computer built within the next month so i cant wait for next gen cpus, maybe upgrade once they come out tho.)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
what do you think the best option for 1080p gaming is at 240+ fps? Is a 2080ti with a 10700k a better option than the 3080 with a 3900x beinf that the cpu could hold back the gpu. Im aware the 2080ti is more than enough to achieve 240+ fps but the lack of pcie 4 support on 10th gen intel has me worried about buying a 3080. (I need to have the computer built within the next month so i cant wait for next gen cpus, maybe upgrade once they come out tho.)
1)The higher we go in resolution, the easier the work gets for the cpu and the harder it gets for the gpu. Vice versa when going in the opposite direction.
Generally true for in game graphics settings.

2)Fps lows are driven by the cpu + ram frequency, fps maxiums are gpu.

When one is playing 1080p ultra high refresh, the goal should be on the highest possible lows to avoid fps dips below 200+.
Therefore, those users should focus on the fastest possible cpu and ram frequency combination they can afford. The gpu plays second fiddle here, and does not contribute much to that objective; What's the point in having a 500fps max if there's still drops below 200 or whatever.
Plus, folks pushing ultra high refresh typically aren't running high/ultra in game settings anyway.

TL;DR: Folks pushing ultra high refresh 1080p are almost entirely cpu + ram frequency bound. A high end gpu isn't required.
Cpu: 10600K. This cpu can be overclocked to 10700K and 10900K levels of performance and doesn't require as extreme cooling, compared to the other 2. It's a little more affordable, and the money can be spent elsewhere.
Ram: dual channel, 3600mhz or higher. Intel setups aren't as sensitive to ram speeds and timings like Ryzen is, but do continue to scale up past Ryzen's hard limit of 3733mhz, albeit with diminishing returns. So it depends on your wallet/bank.
Gpu: 3070/2080Ti. I really don't see any reason to go higher than that besides e-peen.

You're not missing ANYTHING with PCIe Gen 4 either. It benefits the following:
-Multi-NVMe setups handling large packets of data between them
-NVLinked halo gpus(3090)
-Gpus already lacking Vram - 5500XT/1650 anyone?