Sep 6, 2022
Hello everyone,

I was wandering if rtx 3090 Ti works well with Ryzen 7 5800x ? My rtx 3080 got broken and I'm planning on getting rtx 3090Ti. Should I upgrade the cpu as well?

I am can not decide if rtx 3090 will be sufficient or should I go for 3090ti.

Will be using it on 49 inch G9 samsung monitor.

32gb Ram
Msi b550 gaming carbon wifi
Ryzen 7 5800x

Thank you professionals for helping me out, your help is much appreciated!

Solution
I wouldn't change that setup of yours...if it's still cutting your cake, for lack of a better term. You're going to need a high wattage, reliably built PSU if you do decide to go with an RTX3090Ti.

KyaraM

Admirable
What do you want to do with that system? Frankly, I consider the 3080 to be sufficient for pretty much anything, and my 3070Ti is more than enough for my needs. It all depends on what you want to achieve. Also, a 3090 or 3090Ti might need a stronger PSU depending on what you got, they suck power like crazy.

But to answer your question more directly. No current GPU can fully load a Ryzen 5000 or Alder Lake CPU in games, especially not of the R7/9 or i7/9 series, they are all ahead of the curve and won't limit the GPU (except, maybe, in really CPU intensive titles, and, well...). And if you play video games at 4k, for example, even less so since that's 100% GPU limit. I hope that is the intent if this is for gaming because a 3090 for anything less would be a waste...

Last edited:
Reactions: PenTestAD
Sep 6, 2022
What do you want to do with that system? Frankly, I consider the 3080 to be sufficient for pretty much anything, and my 3070Ti is more than enough for my needs. It all depends on what you want to achieve. Also, a 3090 or 3090Ti might need a stronger PSU depending on what you got, they suck power like crazy.

But to answer your question more directly. No current GPU can fully load a Ryzen 5000 or Alder Lake CPU in games, especially not of the R7/9 or i7/9 series, they are all ahead of the curve and won't limit the GPU (except, maybe, in really CPU intensive titles, and, well...). And if you play video games at 4k, for example, even less so since that's 100% GPU limit. I hope that is the intent if this is for gaming because a 3090 for anything less would be a waste...
Thank you for your reply , KyaraM. I feel much more confident now with my upcoming, purchase.

I will be using this build to play AAA games in my free time , as well as running a multiple VM's at once(win 10 , win server, linux etc..) to practice penetration testing , although ram is more important than gpu for running vms , and doing some forensic imaging for my studies.

I was mostly concerned about performance in games, as my pc handles everything else just fine, planning playing AAA ray traced games 2k on 49 inch monitor requires beefy card and I was not sure if the cpu was good enough. I think I'll go with 3090ti to be a little bit more future proof and get that sweet extra +2fps. Thanks again , KyaraM !