Question RTX 3090 vertically mounted crooked?

Mar 30, 2022
So I was having an issue where the default mounting backplate that came with my EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper spanned only a single slot and didn't even have any screw holes in it. I contacted EVGA support and they were gracious enough to send me a new mounting backplate that spanned two slots and did have screw holes.

After installing the new backplate and before mounting, I connected my GPU to the vertical mounting plate just to make sure everything looked good, and it appeared to look fine.

Then I mounted everything, connected my riser cable, and 8+8 power cables, and it's crooked. Like, not even slightly crooked. It's at about a 30° angle from the motherboard. If you look at the exterior of the case, everything looks fine where it's mounted to the expansion slots, but for whatever reason, the GPU is sitting crooked. It otherwise seems pretty stable. No wobbling or anything.

I don't imagine this will have any effect on the GPU's operation, but it's really weird and my OCD is having a hard time dealing with this... LOL. Has anyone ever seen such a thing?

32M2jHt.jpg
2tEzH2k.jpg

Mar 30, 2022
So I unmounted the GPU and checked everything out. Nothing is bent at all. When I went to re-mount the GPU, with the riser cable and power cables disconnected, there was a little leeway as to the angle of the card before screwing it down. I was able to orient the GPU where it was parallel with the motherboard and screw it down that way. When reconnecting the riser cable and the power cables (I'm using the Lian Li Strimer which is a pretty heavy duty cable that creates some tension), though, the card went back to its "crooked" orientation.

In the absence of a mounting bracket that fully secures the GPU, I think with everything that's in play, the card is just going to be oriented this way. As long as the GPU actually works, I guess I can live with it.

Reactions: alceryes