Question RTX 380 WEIRD Boosting behaviour

Jan 24, 2021
Hello there guys! I am just one more step away from insanity, so I am really hoping to find some help here. I am also new to the forum and made my account just for this major problem, because I usually find solutions to my problems

As the title says, my rtx 380 MSI Suprim X is not boosting properly. This is the scenario: I run Furmark and then check clocks in MSI Afterburner. The GPU will only boost to about 1700mhz, sometimes less but not even to the advertised 1900mhz. The weird thing is: Sometimes it boosts just perfectly and easily goes to 2050mhz with overclocking it in afterburner. Trying this a few minutes later and it does not boost again. I have not found any way to reproduce the behaviour but 9 times out of 10 it does not boost.

My system is running a threadripper 2950X on an MSI meg creation x399
32GB G skill trident Z 3200mhz CL14
C drive is a 970 Pro
The system is well cooled and has plenty of fans and airflow.

I have a Corsair RM series 750 Watts PSU, could this be the problem? I have checked with online PSU calculators and in theory it should be fine. Also that it sometimes does boost would not be speaking for a too little PSU
I have been fighting with this problem for days now :/ I have started be reinstalling drivers with DDU, then even a fresh Windows install, Mainboard BIOS reflash, I have tried both of the GPUs Bioses, gaming and silent, still the same. I suspected that maybe NZXT Cam or MSI Creator center could be interfearing with After Burner? But uninstalling them or closing them also did not help.
Maybe a GPU Bios reflash could help? But I could not find a newer Bios or the same Bios for download anywhere.

I am really hoping for your guys help, thanks in advance for any solutions or suggestions!

Cheers!

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Jan 24, 2021
Well, your PSU is below the recommended 850 watts. That GPU is list as using 370 watts of power under load. That's at least 50 watts more than the FE card. The PSU you have could be your Achilles heel.
https://ca.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3080-SUPRIM-X-10G/Specification
New PSU is ordered. Although all 1000 Watt PSU are in back order here in Germany right now. Probably due to the new RTX cards and Covid. I hope this will fix my problems. Thanks for your help! I actually missed that MSI recommends an 850 watt PSU for this card. Kinda crazy imho, in times where the M1 Apple chip needs a mere 10 watts, but what can you do

Reactions: ern88

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I have the MSI Ventus 3x RTX 3080 oc. My gpu usually runs at 1950 mhz under full load.. That's all stock. Perfcap pwr means you hit the card max power limit for the GPU. It doesn't mean the PSU is underpowering the card.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021
I have the MSI Ventus 3x RTX 3080 oc. My gpu usually runs at 1950 mhz under full load.. That's all stock. Perfcap pwr means you hit the card max power limit for the GPU. It doesn't mean the PSU is underpowering the card.
Yeah I know and in game it does normally boost, but in Furmak it only goes to 1800, more like 1700 most of the time. It has got to be something with Furmark i guess? Where do you get those clock speeds? A friend with the same GPU and a 750 watts PSU gets the normal 1900 or over 2ghz with oc in furmark. His GPU Z reads IDLE which would probably mean he's running into a CPU limit which would make sense given his old i7 cpu

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Yeah I know and in game it does normally boost, but in Furmak it only goes to 1800, more like 1700 most of the time. It has got to be something with Furmark i guess? Where do you get those clock speeds? A friend with the same GPU and a 750 watts PSU gets the normal 1900 or over 2ghz with oc in furmark. His GPU Z reads IDLE which would probably mean he's running into a CPU limit which would make sense given his old i7 cpu
Whats you temps when running Furmark? If it starts getting above 74 C. The card may start to throttle down as well.

Jan 24, 2021
Whats you temps when running Furmark? If it starts getting above 74 C. The card may start to throttle down as well.
Temps are 70ish (although I am running open case right now) but I actually just installed the newest release of Furmark which just came out and right now boosting seems to work and I get over 2ghz in Furmark. But then again, sometimes it boosted properly before too. I will have to repeat testing a bit more to see if it keeps working now. Weird thing also is that the GPU now stays at 1950mhz when doing absolutely nothing. Should it do that? What are your temps in Furmark under full load?

antonis mark

Prominent
Jan 21, 2021
Hello there guys! I am just one more step away from insanity, so I am really hoping to find some help here. I am also new to the forum and made my account just for this major problem, because I usually find solutions to my problems

As the title says, my rtx 380 MSI Suprim X is not boosting properly. This is the scenario: I run Furmark and then check clocks in MSI Afterburner. The GPU will only boost to about 1700mhz, sometimes less but not even to the advertised 1900mhz. The weird thing is: Sometimes it boosts just perfectly and easily goes to 2050mhz with overclocking it in afterburner. Trying this a few minutes later and it does not boost again. I have not found any way to reproduce the behaviour but 9 times out of 10 it does not boost.

My system is running a threadripper 2950X on an MSI meg creation x399
32GB G skill trident Z 3200mhz CL14
C drive is a 970 Pro
The system is well cooled and has plenty of fans and airflow.

I have a Corsair RM series 750 Watts PSU, could this be the problem? I have checked with online PSU calculators and in theory it should be fine. Also that it sometimes does boost would not be speaking for a too little PSU
I have been fighting with this problem for days now :/ I have started be reinstalling drivers with DDU, then even a fresh Windows install, Mainboard BIOS reflash, I have tried both of the GPUs Bioses, gaming and silent, still the same. I suspected that maybe NZXT Cam or MSI Creator center could be interfearing with After Burner? But uninstalling them or closing them also did not help.
Maybe a GPU Bios reflash could help? But I could not find a newer Bios or the same Bios for download anywhere.

I am really hoping for your guys help, thanks in advance for any solutions or suggestions!

Cheers!
if you GPU fails (crashes) before the "ADVERTISED" MHz you should send it for warranty ... manufactures should promise to reach the advertised MHz and the warranty is only voided if you exceed it via overclocking

Jan 24, 2021
Okay so I was digging a little deeper today and found some interesting information. When I received the GPU there were finger prints visible on the GPU meaning it was already opened by someone. I called my retailer and they told me they did not know how this could be and refundend me a few bucks. I just now found out that apparently there was a recall of the complete Suprim series by MSI due to a major performance issue with the cards. There is not much info around but it seems that this issue could not simply be fixed with firmware so they had to go back to MSI. This would also explain the fingerprints on my card. I am really pissed at this point as this should not be the experience you should have with a over 1k costing GPU. And the worst part is that an exchange will probably take ages due to the supply situation. I will conduct some further testing today with a friend who bought the same GPU on the same day from the same reseller and his semms to be working just fine.

Reactions: ern88

TRENDING THREADS