Question RTX 4070 in Legion Pro 5i HWinfo

dfdji

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
Hi, I was checking HWinfo and saw that Nvidia RTX 4070 in my newly bought Lenovo Legion Pro 5i is drawing 590W max power. Is this normal and expected for this laptop? Or have I done something wrong? Or HWMonitor is lying?

KODDgyr.png

dfdji

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
That can be safely ignored. 590W without liquid / sub-ambient cooling would physically break the GPU.

If it were true, the laptop battery would be dead in like 7 minutes.
okay thanks, is there an alternative to hwmonitor with which i can monitor power to both cpu and gpu, cause cpu also seemed to be taking in 145W max power while CS2 was on for some time.

Also, cpu max temps seem to be reaching 100 degree C for all performance cores and GPU memory & hot-spot temps were getting to 95-96 degrees.

Feeling concerned now:sweat:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Mobile CPUs do tend to ride the throttle limits, and Intel chips do tend to have max power limits that are quite high.

13900HX can pull up to 157W for brief periods, even the regular H chips can pull 115W.

HWInfo64 might be worth a go. CoreTemp is usually pretty reliable for CPUs.

All depends on the cooling capacity of the laptop. You might consider re-doing the thermal compound. What they use is quite stable and could last a significant chunk of the laptop's life. But there are better thermal compounds that need to be replaced more often, so every 3-4 years vs 7-8.

For heavy gaming it is always recommended to have a cooling pad, or to elevate the laptop so the vents have direct access to intake and exhaust air.

TRENDING THREADS