[SOLVED] RTX 4070 TI causes PC to not boot

CDDogg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2015
Just decided to upgrade my system a bit. Got a new PSU and a new GPU.

My old specs were:
ASrock B550M Steel Legend
Ryzen 9 3950x
RTX 2070 Super
Corsair CX750F
RAM 32GB (2x16) GSkill TridentZ 3200

My new specs are:

Ryzen 9 3950x
RTX 4070 TI MSI Ventus 3x
Corsair RM850X
RAM 64 GB (4x16) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3600

I’ve thoroughly troubleshooted and here’s what I’ve found:

PC doesn’t boot. Motherboard LEDs are on, power button seems dead. No fans, no clicks, no beeps, nothing. Tried jumping the contacts, nothing. Tried both the old and the new PSU same deal. Tried the old and the new RAM, same problem.

unplugging the PCIe power cables that lead to the GPU fixes it. Everything boots normally, but of course the card is unpowered so it doesn’t work.

Any ideas? Should I just return the card?

I’m further inclined to believe it’s a problem with the card since Best Buy has a habit of reshelving broken items and the package wasn’t fully sealed when I opened it…

Last edited:
Solution
Was able to fix it.
The Ventus 3X 4070 has a proprietary power adapter that comes with instructions saying to connect it to two separate PCIe power cables. It’s stresses NOT to use one PCIe cable with two branched outputs.

The PC doesn’t boot unless you connect the 4070ti in the exact way the instructions say not to do.

Lutfij

Titan
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? As for your GPU, did you run DDU prior to removing the RTX2070 Super from your platform? What case are you working with? Might want to make sure that all connectors from the PSU to all relevance components in your build are fastening proper, making sure that the connector is all the way in their respective housings.

Just decided to upgrade my system a bit. Got a new PSU and a new GPU.

My old specs were:
ASrock B550M Steel Legend
Ryzen 9 3950x
RTX 2070 Super
Corsair CX750F
RAM 32GB (2x16) GSkill TridentZ 3200

My new specs are:

Ryzen 9 3950x
RTX 4070 TI MSI Ventus 3x
Corsair RM850X
RAM 64 GB (4x16) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3600

I’ve thoroughly troubleshooted and here’s what I’ve found:

PC doesn’t boot. Motherboard LEDs are on, power button seems dead. No fans, no clicks, no beeps, nothing. Tried jumping the contacts, nothing. Tried both the old and the new PSU same deal. Tried the old and the new RAM, same problem.

unplugging the PCIe power cables that lead to the GPU fixes it. Everything boots normally, but of course the card is unpowered so it doesn’t work.

Any ideas? Should I just return the card?

"RAM 32GB (2x16) GSkill TridentZ 3200 to RAM 64 GB (4x16) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3600"

Try with just 2 RAM sticks first in slot A2 and B2. I know you likely have but check again to verify all power cables are seated properly.

CDDogg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2015
Yes I installed all my drivers before attempting the upgrade. I haven’t updated the BIOS in a while but it doesn’t really matter since the motherboard doesn’t even begin to power up until the card is unpowered.

CDDogg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2015
"RAM 32GB (2x16) GSkill TridentZ 3200 to RAM 64 GB (4x16) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3600"

Try with just 2 RAM sticks first in slot A2 and B2. I know you likely have but check again to verify all power cables are seated properly.

Yeah unfortunately I also tried that. Unplugging the card’s power is the only way to turn the machine on.

CDDogg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2015
Was able to fix it.
The Ventus 3X 4070 has a proprietary power adapter that comes with instructions saying to connect it to two separate PCIe power cables. It’s stresses NOT to use one PCIe cable with two branched outputs.

The PC doesn’t boot unless you connect the 4070ti in the exact way the instructions say not to do.

Solution
Mar 29, 2023
Hey, same problem here.

Built a new system. Here are the specs:

Mobo: Asus Rog Strix B660 A gaming Wifi D4
CPU: 12600K
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz
PSU: Corsair RM850x 2021 model
GPU: Zotac 4070ti Trinity OC

The mobo shows a greenish yellow light meaning that there is a boot drive error, but the boot error only happens when the gpu is plugged in for power. When it is just plugged in to the pcie slot and the power cables aren't attached I'm getting into the bios and everything boots fine. But as soon as I plug in the pcie power cables with the adapter I'm getting the boot drive error again. I've tried 3 separate pcie cables to power the gpu, changing which ones are plugged in first, etc... nothing works. I tried switching the pcie slot to gen 4 and gen 3 with no luck.

Anything else I can try?