Question RTX 4080 Doesn't go above 350 fps (CSGO VALORANT any fps games)

Jan 11, 2023
So basicly I upgraded my GPU due to a working necessity and also to have fun with recent more demanding games, but I also play FPS games and I find it weird that I'm hitting the same performance as I was with my last gpu (in fps games)
While running valorant or csgo my gpu doesn't go above 30% usage and my cpu doesn't go above 40% (i5 10600KF)
I find it interesting and annoying at the same time.
Any opinions ?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Yeah, those kind of GPUs want something to calculate.....High resolutions, with tons of graphic details, and maybe even a sprinkle raytracing. In a game like CSGO, the GPU literally falls asleep while waiting for the CPU to push over a frame to calculate.

CSGO is over 10 years old and uses the DirectX 9 API....the GPU is basically bored...

Jan 11, 2023
Yeah I figured it would have something to do with that, but the cpu is runing at 30 to 40% could it be that is waiting for ram ? I'm using double channel 16gb 3200mhz cl15

Here's my specs:
i5 10600kf (4.8Ghz 4.5GhzCache)
Rtx 4080 Asus Tuf (Stock)
Ram G.skill trident 2x8GB DDR4 3200 cl15
Nzxt n7 z490
Nzxt 750W +gold

I only find it weird, cause I used to have the same performance (or better) when using my old GPU which was a Asus rog strix rx 580 8gb OC

Last edited:

Elezondo

Commendable
Nov 19, 2021
30-40% CPU usage as measured by what program? CSGO is an old game, it’s likely you have a couple cores maxed and the rest are sitting there with nothing to do. More likely than not, you’re hitting the limit for your CPU setup.

Reactions: Nighthawk117

mjbn1977

Distinguished
It is very likely that the game only uses one or two threads (older game). You have 6 cores (12 threads), so 1 core at max with both threads means about roughly 30-40% CPU usage. Furthermore, there are game engine frame limits. Which can vary from engine to engine. I believe CSGO uses the source engine, but I don't know if there is an engine limit and what it would be. One example is Cyberpunk 2077. If the game reaches 164 fps, it doesn't matter how much hardware you through at it. It's just not really going over this.....seems like that is a hard engine limit in this case....

CSGO I don't believe is capable of saturating a 6 core/12 thread CPU, I don't think it even does that with 4 cores/8 threads. As @Elezondo suggests, it's probably maxing out a couple of cores and the rest are not heavily loaded.

In terms of not seeing a performance improvement, that is almost certainly an limitation of your i5 10600KF, though still a perfectly capable CPU. I don't actually play CSGO myself, I have seen others quote higher FPS numbers, however judging by Eurogamers FPS chart, your number seems pretty good to me:
https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2023-amd-ryzen-5-7600-review?page=3

I'm not familiar with Valorant and most triple A FPS games are not going to run at those sorts of frame rates anyway.

40% cpu usage by a modern i5 with 6 cores /12 thread, in games like CSGO or valorant seems very normal to me. As its normal for a monster powerfull GPU like the RTX 4080 to be around 30% on those kind of games.
If you could throw a Core i9 13900K in that same mobo (which you can't), and set it in BIOS to only use 6 cores /12 threads, you should also see around the same cpu usage in those games. Of course you should get (if game is not frame capped) a little more FPS because of faster boost frecuency, more cache and other next gen improvements.

logainofhades

Titan
I would also say the GPU is a bit bored, here. In a low threaded game, like CSGO, and many other E-Sports titles, IPC is king.

CSGOr-p.webp

Last edited:
Reactions: boju
Jan 11, 2023
30-40% CPU usage as measured by what program? CSGO is an old game, it’s likely you have a couple cores maxed and the rest are sitting there with nothing to do. More likely than not, you’re hitting the limit for your CPU setup.
I just ran valorant for a few mins and this is what I got
View: https://imgur.com/a/yoo7b5v
(It is a little higher than what I was seeing in the other software I used

Jan 11, 2023
Thanks for the replys guys (I was just curious about it, just wanted to see the limits of it) Most of the times I play with 300fps cap because I have a 280hz monitor