Question RTX 4070 Ti versus RX 7900 XT ?

Feb 5, 2023
I'm torn between buying a 4070 ti or RX 7900 XT.

I live in the UK and both cards cost around £900 here.

The main purpose for upgrading my card, currently it's a 3070 ti, is for photoshop, premier pro, after effects, illustrator. Also AI's such as Topaz labs, AVC video enhancer, and Fotor.

I game a little but it's incidental in this decision.

I have two 2k monitors. One with a 144 Hz refresh rate and a 34" ultrawide with a 75 Hz refresh rate.

Normally I wouldn't consider the AMD card. But I've learned the 7900 XT is very good in photoshop and editing. And it also has a usb c port I can plug my graphics tablet directly into. Currently it's plugged into my motherboard's usb c port and I reckon if it's plugged into the card lag will be reduced significantly.

My concerns are AMD drivers and performance. I've heard about the overheating problems on the XTX cards, but apparently the XT version isn't affected? And RDNA 3's overall under performance. Is it likely to be fixed?

The 4070 ti doesn't have a usb c port, and is a bit slower in photoshop. But it has Nvidia support behind it. Reliable driver updates, and pretty much guaranteed performance.

Any advice and opinion is much appreciated.

Other system upgrades I'm making at the same time are:

5900x to 5950X
32gb 3600mhz ram to 64gb 3600mhz ram
750W gold psu to 1000W gold psu

I'm ready to make all of the upgrades now.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023
Can you even connect your graphic tablet to GPU? Although I cannot find any real info on that topic I was always under impression all ports on GPUs are output only.
The graphics tablet has a screen, and is a bit like having another monitor. So I assumed plugging into the card would be a given. It never occurred to me that it may not work. Thanks, I'll look into it further.

The graphics tablet has a screen, and is a bit like having another monitor. So I assumed plugging into the card would be a given. It never occurred to me that it may not work. Thanks, I'll look into it further.
Yeah, but still a graphic tablet main purpose is to act as input device much like mouse. Unless the GPU was build with the ability to send that input back to CPU it just won't work. Of course it is perfectly possible for a GPU to have such ability but the question is if those card have it included.

Reactions: KyaraM
Feb 5, 2023
Yeah, but still a graphic tablet main purpose is to act as input device much like mouse. Unless the GPU was build with the ability to send that input back to CPU it just won't work. Of course it is perfectly possible for a GPU to have such ability but the question is if those card have it included.
You're absolutely right @DRagor . The card doesn't support input. Thankyou very much! This makes the decision easy. I'll be buying the 4070ti.