Klockclock

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
Hello, just bought an rtx 4080. The 12pin to three 8pin adapter comes with it. However the hx850 is semi modular with two 6+2 cables being already routed from the psu so to speak. All good so far, thing is I need three 6+2 pins cables from the psu to plug into the three 8 pins on the adapter. I cant seem to find another psu carton in case I have a spare there. No luck. Ive decided to just buy another cable. Heard that the cable HAS to be from the same psu manufacturer (corsair) to work. I just have no idea which is it. Theres type 4 and 3. If I have type 3 right now does it matter if I buy type 4 now, and vice versa. Any idea which one/does it matter as long as its corsair cable and physically fits? Thanks!

Hello, just bought an rtx 4080. The 12pin to three 8pin adapter comes with it. However the hx850 is semi modular with two 6+2 cables being already routed from the psu so to speak. All good so far, thing is I need three 6+2 pins cables from the psu to plug into the three 8 pins on the adapter. I cant seem to find another psu carton in case I have a spare there. No luck. Ive decided to just buy another cable. Heard that the cable HAS to be from the same psu manufacturer (corsair) to work. I just have no idea which is it. Theres type 4 and 3. If I have type 3 right now does it matter if I buy type 4 now, and vice versa. Any idea which one/does it matter as long as its corsair cable and physically fits? Thanks!

Hey there,

Sadly, this is not uncommon. Previously strong PSU's not appropriate for modern GPU's.

As @sizzling suggested, the likelihood of things being OK, is slim, with older PSUs not being up to the task. I'd suggest an upgrade to a stronger PSU to avoid issue, which you will inevitably have.

Klockclock

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
Hey there,

Sadly, this is not uncommon. Previously strong PSU's not appropriate for modern GPU's.

As @sizzling suggested, the likelihood of things being OK, is slim, with older PSUs not being up to the task. I'd suggest an upgrade to a stronger PSU to avoid issue, which you will inevitably have.

Is that so, thought I could just buy another of the same cable if I knew which one to get. Yikes this is becoming an expensive affair. Well thanks I'll buy a new one asap then. Regards