Feb 12, 2023
System:
MB: MSI PRO B650 P
CPU: 7700X
GPU: RTX 4080
RAM: 2x16 DDR5 4800MHz
PSU: 850W 80+ Gold

Today I have two issues :(

I checked with HWinfo, GPU Z, and my 4080 is stuck with PCIe 1.1 speeds. I tried testing it with GPU Z test, while using furmark, booting a game with benchmark mode, and neither of the previously mentioned programs would catch my GPU reaching 4.0 speeds. Interestingly enough, my integrated GPU will always be set to PCIe 4.0 whenever I check the Microsoft Basic Video Adapter.

I ended up being aware of this issue when I realized I wasnt pulling the FPS I wanted in certain videogames (Warzone 2.0 was beyond terrible since I couldnt even make it to the 144FPS that I needed. Others would perform above that, but still way beyond what I ve seen in benchmarks with even higher resolutions to what I ve got, which is 1080p).

I tried also checking BIOS to make sure the PCIe configuration was set to gen 4, which it was, but oddly enough, my graphics card wouldnt display BIOS. It was a total dark screen. The monitor was still on but nothing was showing up.
I uninstalled the GPU and I managed to display BIOS with the iGPU.

Notes:
- Yesterday I performed two DDUs. One was for installing this new 4080. And then a second one was because I wasnt getting the performance expected.

I appreciate any help in advance.

(I ll leave pictures attached to my post)
QimbeUs.png
P6TdubR.gif
mV08pMe.gif

First things I can think of are: is your BIOS on the motherboard up to date and is your GPU plugged directly into the motherboard or are you using a riser cable?

Ensure the BIOS is up to date, and if you're using a riser cable plug directly in to eliminate that as a cause.

edit: Just to make sure you've run the render test in GPU-Z (or checked GPU-Z with load) just to ensure it's not an idle downgrade correct?

Feb 12, 2023
First things I can think of are: is your BIOS on the motherboard up to date and is your GPU plugged directly into the motherboard or are you using a riser cable?

Ensure the BIOS is up to date, and if you're using a riser cable plug directly in to eliminate that as a cause.
I assume is the first version since I ve never upgraded ever since I bought it back in February 23th. HWinfo agrees: Version 1.00/AGESA 1.0.0.1
I thought there could ve been an issue with that and checked MSI's support page for my MB but there is no upgrade related to compatibility issues with GPU. (I saw someone with an ASUS MB who had to upgrade his BIOS in order to "improve compatibility with RTX 40 series".)
GPU is directly connected to the MB. I made sure to plug correctly each power connector too (to avoid PIN burnout).
I ll leave attached a screenshot where I was using GPU Z's test to check whether it would change the PCIe version, but it didnt (lower left corner).

UPDATE: I uninstalled Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (probably installed itself by mistake since in the second DDU run I forgot to unplug the ethernet cable. Now that I uninstalled it I was able to display BIOS with my GPU. Wonder if that was the issue. Gonna run new tests to see if there is any changes, tho I doubt it.

UPDATE 2: The Microsoft Basic Display Adapter downloaded itself again with no previous action. GPU still displays BIOS. Thankfully that still works
enkNJNM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me
Just because the notes don't mention compatibility doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Have you used another GPU in this system before this one that didn't have issues, or if not do you have another one to try? This would be a step you could take before updating BIOS.

Feb 12, 2023
I had an RTX 3060 and yes, I remember checking it with GPU Z and I also remember it having 4.0 PCIe all the time. I had good performance back then (now it got better, but not nearly as I would expect. Warzone 2.0 wont make it past 150, with most instances being around 120 to 130FPS and I got a 144hz monitor, reaching drops to even 70. With R6S, even tho I got more than I could possibly want, still far from what I ve seen others have gotten with higher resolutions than me)
Pardon if I sound dumb, but I m sort of scared regarding updating the BIOS. Never done it and always heard how if you commit a mistake you can brick your MB.
EDIT: Idk if its important or not, but I got an older driver running rn (528.49) since I was testing if that was better for Warzone 2.0. Didnt check the PCIe gen with the newest one I installed during the first DDU. Could it be of importance?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023
Any other thoughts? I m planning to flash a new BIOS version after I finish doing some things irl. (Still bugs me how the iGPU has fixed 4.0 PCIe while my GPU has fixed 1.1 PCIe, and nothing changes regardless of GPU usage and stress)
o9tDZyR.png
cWNk4nJ.png

If you still have another card to test with I'd try that first, but if not do the BIOS update just follow all the instructions and don't do something to kill power while it's doing it. Chances are pretty low that it's a physical problem with your motherboard if it was fine before which would indicate either a compatibility problem that BIOS will fix or potentially a problematic GPU. If you have another system you could test your 4080 in perhaps try that.

Feb 12, 2023
If you still have another card to test with I'd try that first, but if not do the BIOS update just follow all the instructions and don't do something to kill power while it's doing it. Chances are pretty low that it's a physical problem with your motherboard if it was fine before which would indicate either a compatibility problem that BIOS will fix or potentially a problematic GPU. If you have another system you could test your 4080 in perhaps try that.
I have my RTX 3060 still around. Should I DDU, shut down and then install the card?

Feb 12, 2023
I literally want to cry (jk lol) Check the image

zYWMme2.gif

42BEske.png

Welp, this is pretty sad. I wonder why it doesnt allow the RTX 4080 to run full 4.0. Its running IDLE at the time and its already on 4.0 speeds.

Reactions: thestryker
I literally want to cry (jk lol) Check the image

zYWMme2.gif

42BEske.png

Welp, this is pretty sad. I wonder why it doesnt allow the RTX 4080 to run full 4.0. Its running IDLE at the time and its already on 4.0 speeds.
I totally understand the feeling! Hopefully a BIOS update is all that's required to get things working.

I'm not sure if a power issue could cause this as I haven't used anything with an ATX 3.0 adapter yet, but if you weren't using separate cables from the PSU to the adapter already you could try that as well.

There really just isn't a whole lot left because your hardware is all sound and it's something with that 4080 specifically.

Reactions: WhatIsAMobo
Feb 12, 2023
I totally understand the feeling! Hopefully a BIOS update is all that's required to get things working.

I'm not sure if a power issue could cause this as I haven't used anything with an ATX 3.0 adapter yet, but if you weren't using separate cables from the PSU to the adapter already you could try that as well.

There really just isn't a whole lot left because your hardware is all sound and it's something with that 4080 specifically.
Plugged the 4080 again. Same result. PCIe 1.1. Power I dont think is an issue. Ran a benchmark with the RTX 3060 and it was pretty ok. Same FPS I got before changing cards.
Could you like my post so maybe I can reach to more people (pardon my ignorance, I dont really know if that helps anyways).

@boju (Pardon me tagging you. I wonder if you could maybe share some wisdom regarding this issue. Do you think is a BIOS issue? I appreciate it in advance)

Feb 12, 2023

View: https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1581431826379198466?s=20&t=Cx05EXSRfs_iOH73fTOVig

Found in a thread on LTT that 4090 users experimented the EXACT same issue that I did. Apparently the compatibility issue with the 40 series is not limited to ASUS, but AM5 platform in general (which includes me as an MSI user). The patch was dropped for the AGESA 1.0.0.3a apparently, so I think I will update to that version, since another user on the same thread says that with the latest AGESA 1.0.0.7a version he got the same issues again.
Here is the thread: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1461289-rtx-4090-on-pcie-11/

(I hope the 1.0.0.3a version doesnt <Mod Edit> up my SoC voltages since I already got a solid 1.260 SoC voltages running in my system, which means its safe from implosion. i dont want to deal with the whole burning CPU issue)

I m gonna test it and come back with results

Last edited by a moderator:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Plugged the 4080 again. Same result. PCIe 1.1. Power I dont think is an issue. Ran a benchmark with the RTX 3060 and it was pretty ok. Same FPS I got before changing cards.
Could you like my post so maybe I can reach to more people (pardon my ignorance, I dont really know if that helps anyways).

@boju (Pardon me tagging you. I wonder if you could maybe share some wisdom regarding this issue. Do you think is a BIOS issue? I appreciate it in advance)

Not sure im suspecting Bios as well or could be m2 related regarding another thread i was involved in but that was Intel. Could try move m2 ssd so top slot is vacant and see what happens. Or try force m2 slot as pcie gen 4 (if your ssd is pcie 4 not 5), that's if you can even do that.

Feb 12, 2023
Not sure im suspecting Bios as well or could be m2 related regarding another thread i was involved in but that was Intel. Could try move m2 ssd so top slot is vacant and see what happens. Or try force m2 slot as pcie gen 4 (if your ssd is pcie 4 not 5), that's if you can even do that.
I have both of my M.2 slots PCIe x4 used with M.2 NVME SSDs.

What do you think about the last post I made? I think that really inclines me to believe the problem is the BIOS since I got the 1.0.0.0 version ever since I bought the MB and installed it, since many people who owned 4080s or 4090s were complaining about being stuck at PCIe 1.1 speeds. But then again, I m not an expert and I wonder if you could give me some insight on that.
Thanks for passing by this thread. I really appreciate it and I m looking up to your reply :)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try m2 config first, move ssd with os drive down an m2 slot, just to see, if that is the reason then you'll know what you're dealing with. Won't need to reinstall Windows btw. If that doesn't work put ssds back to how they were and try bios update.

Feb 12, 2023
UPDATE (SOLUTION): IT WORKED! From AGESA 1.0.0.3a and forward (apparently) the issue gets resolved, tho I would stay on this version since someone reported issues after updating to the latest AGESA version 1.0.0.7a.
So I guess this is a BIOS issue after all, just like hardware Unboxed pointed out.

My GPU is already on PCIe 4.0 speeds. Did some benchmarks and its BREAKING FPSs left and right! Checked with both HWinfo and GPU Z.

I appreciate the insight of everyone who came to my assist on this thread. Thanks a lot! :D
Kokpu0Q.png
NspHUv5.gif

Reactions: thestryker and boju