News RTX 4090 Allegedly 30% Faster in TimeSpy Extreme vs. LN2 RTX 3090 Ti

Hooda Thunkett

Prominent
Nov 17, 2021
600+ watts? What kind of cooling is going to be standard on this thing to keep it from burning the pcb? Does it come with an electricty subsidy? Maybe a couple of 800w solar panels?

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
Thicker heatsinks. We might even see more AIO or custom waterblocks available.
Small Form Factor, some of which already have limits on the size of gpu that can be installed, could be in for a round of hurt - due to few options.
thicker heatsinks or AIO won't help you much at 600W

my 3090 at 600w is ~40c but I have mora420 and 5rads:ROFLMAO:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
thicker heatsinks or AIO won't help you much at 600W

my 3090 at 600w is ~40c but I have mora420 and 5rads:ROFLMAO:
If the PC is still dispersing that energy into the room, ultimately nothing changes, but that wasn't my point.

Hooda Thunkett was inquiring how the higher heat load would be kept in line, and the simplest answer is to go bigger.
Thicker heatsinks, full cover AIO and custom waterblocks are going to have higher thermal capacity and be more effective than some 2 - 2.5 slot gpu open air cooler or a Kraken G12 + large AIO jerry-rigged to the gpu core alone.

EDIT: I should add that EVGA's 3090Ti FTW3 is pulling around 500w in THIS TPU review, and it's handling it pretty well - a chunky boy though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makaveli
D

Deleted member 431422

Yessss.... In the wake of heat waves, increased use of electricity for A/C, rising prices creating 600W+ GPU makes total sense.

Reactions: closs.sebastien

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
Ooof, talk about some big issues for anyone trying to upgrade, they might need new cases even.

I hope AMD doesn't go this big, but if they do, oh boy, I might skip another generation, which I might anyways considering that prices haven't relented for a long while.
To be honest, if consoles stopped locking you out of even discs due to internal clocks and first time boot activation after a CMOS battery replacement, I'd jump ship.

SunMaster

Commendable
Apr 19, 2022
Thicker heatsinks. We might even see more AIO or custom waterblocks available.
Small Form Factor, some of which already have limits on the size of gpu that can be installed, could be in for a round of hurt - due to few options.

Thicker heatsinks will not help you move 600 watt out of the case. Adding mass will only postpone the energy transport.

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I have to say, an extra 30% speed, even against an LN2 card, doesn't seem to be quite in line with some of the more hyperbolic performance quotes being hurled about the place. Especially if the power consumption figures are in any way accurate ...

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Only 30% faster, that is rather disappointing, but then on the bright side I will be able to make toast with it at the same time.

Edit What is the 3090 score without LN2 cooling?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thicker heatsinks will not help you move 600 watt out of the case. Adding mass will only postpone the energy transport.
That's what the fans are there for.
You kind of crapped on this exodus of triple - and starting to go quad - slot cards.
Why didn't AIBs stick to dual slot coolers on all their current models? It wasn't just for show, was it?

RTX 4090 Allegedly 30% Faster in TimeSpy Extreme vs. LN2 RTX 3090 Ti
And Intel's A380 was shown to be over 40% faster than a GTX 1650 or RX 6400 in TimeSpy, but managed to be slower than either in actual games. There's no guarantee that synthetic results will be representative of real-world results, especially if architectural features have changed. It reminds me of how people got caught up in the hype for the massive reported TFlop increase for the RTX 30 series, when in reality that only applied to certain compute workloads, while the performance-per-TFlop in games was substantially lower.

Ooof, talk about some big issues for anyone trying to upgrade, they might need new cases even.

I hope AMD doesn't go this big, but if they do, oh boy, I might skip another generation, which I might anyways considering that prices haven't relented for a long while.
Just because there are really high TDP options available at the extreme-high-end doesn't mean there won't be viable upgrades available elsewhere in the lineup. Given the more competitive environment, with AMD once again competing at the high-end and Intel entering the market, I suspect we will continue to see cards that push the power limits for graphics cards as each company tries to outdo the other in the enthusiast-space. I imagine some of these cards may end up priced in multiple thousands of dollars too. But obviously relatively few will actually feel the need to buy those cards, and there will undoubtedly continue to be cards with much more reasonable prices and power draw.

Oct 14, 2022
30% perf gain.....not sure it 's worth to upgrade at this point....electricity companies probably pretty happy about this graphic card...
..lol