Question Rtx 4090 crash - driver or hardware? .The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Hi. I have 12900K stock

32 GB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600mhz

Palit Gamerock Pro OC rtx 4090

1300W Seasonic Platinum Prime

Aorus Elite DDR4 Z690

Windows 11 2H22. Updated new nvidia drivers.

I swapped from 3090 Ti Gigabyte Gaming to Rtx 4090 Palit Gamerock. Never had single crash in games,apps on 3090 ti. All was perfectly stable.
Today i plugged Rtx 4090 Palit Gamerock. It passed 3dmark tests. But after i downloaded Watch Dogs Legion it freezed on loading screen and crashed.

screen:
https://i.postimg.cc/6Q3F13nx/1.jpg

event log:
https://i.postimg.cc/8chYrrQM/2.jpg

2 errors.

1.display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered

2.The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
Error occurred on GPUID: 100

Happened once i testing now Watch Dogs Legion no crashing again since. But why it crashed? On 3090 Ti i dont had a single crash,nothing.
Rma card now or just keep it ?

I checked 3dmark speed way,port royal,quake 2 rtx, cb2077,far cry 6, no crashing.Drivers are newest. Also my memory is 100% stable because with 3090 ti was fine all the time.

Reactions: TheTurtleWay
Are you using a UPS battery backup? If so, don't. Plug directly into the wall and see if you still have the same issue.

If you don't have one, or it doesn't fix the problem, try changing the power limit on the graphics card to 99% and see if you still have the issue.

If you do, it might simply, probably, be driver related on that title and will likely need to wait for a patch that addresses the problem. Fact is, Watch dogs has USUALLY had problems on new architectures, since WAY back. Patches have usually, mostly, fixed the problems eventually, but it's always had random bugs and such early on.

Right, but you probably weren't playing it immediately after the release of the 3090 ti, or, the drivers for that architecture were probably already more refined than those for the 4090. Consider, the 4090 wasn't released until October 12th and there has only been one Nvidia driver update since then, which was on October 27th. When a specific game or process is causing problems for some users it usually takes a little while for there to be enough feedback and reporting on the issue for Nvidia to be bothered with issuing a fix for it. So I'd be sure to report it to Nvidia as well.

That being said, it's obviously possible that something else is going on, but that is the most likely reason if the first two suggestions I offered don't pan out. Recently had a few people with problems on both high end AMD and Nvidia cards crashing due to power spikes when using a Seasonic Prime Titanium Ultra power supply that should have been plenty of capacity for the card, because the over power and over current protections are apparently set too low on that series which is something that has been reported on by a number of users as an actual happening that changing to a different brand and model of power supply seemingly corrected.

Guaranteed that 4090 pulls significantly more than your 3090 ti did. And likely, spikes significantly higher as well.

Seems it's not doing it on other games and some stress tests, only WD, right? If so, then I think it's probably not the card, but the game.

Try running some other stress tests like Time Spy Extreme, Furmark, etc. and maybe a few other games, just to see if in fact there are any problems elsewhere.

Then I think the card is PROBABLY fine. It should have a three year warranty anyhow, so if there is a problem that develops you have plenty of time to worry about it. For now, just enjoy unless you start seeing more frequent problems.

Also, it's a very good idea to make sure you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version installed, most recent STABLE version anyhow. Avoid any "Beta" versions unless you're having severe problems that are likely BIOS related and there is evidence that it has fixed the same problem for other users. Otherwise, stick to the stable BIOS releases. So, if there is a newer stable BIOS version for your motherboard, I'd update.

I'd also go to the product page for your motherboard and download the latest chipset, network adapter and audio controller drivers and download and install those. Drivers for other things than just the graphics card can have an effect in games and can also conflict with graphics card drivers in some cases.

Nov 5, 2022
Hi, I have RTX4090 - FE and I have the same issue!
For me it happens just when i'm browsing chrome, not under actual stress.
the pc freeze for a few seconds, then the screen turn black and I head the device connected sound. then everything recover.

same error on even viewer:

The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\000000e6
Restarting TDR occurred on GPUID:800

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Someone said:"RMA it.

Reasoning: Nvidia has not given any roadmap whether they will put up a fixed driver or force OEMs to issue Bios or vBios update or whether the issue is fixable in the first place. They are just mum since a week.

You have paid $1599+ for something which should work right off the bat. You are not a beta tester. All these cards are categorised as DOA or unfit for usage."

Should i rma and listen to that person or no rma if that happened once? <last question>

At this point all an RMA is likely to result in is losing money out of your pocket because when they determine the card has no problems you are going to end up needing to pay for the return shipping as well as the shipping to them which you'd have to pay anyhow.