Question RTX 4090 dying already? (adapter is fine)

K1llrzzZ

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Hey! So I use the bundled adapter with my 4090 and I'm scared <Mod Edit> because of the melting issue, I only use my PC for browsing the web. It worked fine for 2 days but today I turned it on and my screen was all messed up, sadly I forgot to take a pic in the panic of the moment but it looked something like this: https://forum.level1techs.com/uploads/default/28654/a35480f082f07fbc.jpg I literally googled "dead GPU"... So I turned my PC off, turned the power supply off, checked my adapter but it seemed completely fine and so did the power connector. Replugged, restarted my PC and now it seems fine so far, screen is normal. What could have caused this?
In case this is relevant, I used my PS5 on a HDMI cable before with the same monitor, when I turned the monitor on it said "no signal" for the HDMI, switched to DP and then the screen was a mess. Also my Windows hasn't been reinstalled yet, I just put my SSD with an installed Windows into my PC, I changed my mobo/CPU/RAM as well not just the GPU, but I used the PC for 3 days, hasn't seen this issue yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

K1llrzzZ

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
You bought an RTX 4090 "to surf the web"? Seriously?

What are your full specs including EXACT power supply model number?
I didn't buy it for web browsing, I'm scared about the melting adapters so I don't want to put heavy load on the card until I can get a proper cable.

Specs:
PSU: Corsair HX1200
Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z790-F Gaming Wifi
RAM: G-Skill Trident 2x16Gb 6400Mhz DDR5 CL32
CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
GPU: Asus TUF OC RTX 4090
SSD: Samsung 970 Plus
Monitor Asus MG24UQ

K1llrzzZ

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
All we out here have to go by is what you've said.

"I only use my PC for browsing the web. "
Sorry, maybe I didn't phrase it clearly, I bought the card for 4K gaming, that's how I intend to use it but I read about the bundled adapter melting under load so I didn't game on it at all, waiting to get a proper power cable/adapter. I checked the adapter and the power connector and they both seem fine, whatever this issue was it was caused by something else. Since I restarted my PC it works fine, maybe it was a one-off, maybe it was my monitor after switching back from HDMI to DP I don't know.

Yes, you NEED to do a clean install of Windows. Changing any one of those things might have been enough to want to do that. Changing all of them, especially the motherboard, certainly makes it almost a must-do type situation.