Question Rtx 580 causing pc not to boot.

Kjnkid

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2016
So a friend of mine got a new GPU, He had a rx 580. He took it out his pc then shipped it straight to me. I then put it in my pc and it will not boot. Nothing comes when the gpu is plugged in. The keyboard and mouse doesn't lite up and the fans run on the pc and the gpu and the cd drive works.. The second I take it out and put my old gpu back in then the pc boots and the keyboard and mouse lights back up . I Uninstalled all the old driver b4 putting the new gpu in. I tried to manually download the 580 drivers but I cant because the software doesn't let me. However I am not sold on it being a driver issue. I have a 750w power suppy so I dont think its a psu issue. I am completely stumped bc it was working in my friends system 2 days before he sent it too me. Unless some how it went dead or broke during shipping.

Last edited:

Kjnkid

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2016
This is very interesting case. I'm subscribing.

Can you try with different power supply? Can you also try that GPU in another system?
I tried with a 500w powersupply i had installed in the pc. Thats what I first thought it was. So a got a 700w to try it out. As for a differnt pc I dont have one on hand. What's weird is the fans on the gpu run and everything, it seems like it would be working but its like it turns on just enough to run the fans and the cd drives but doesn't go any father. They don't turn off either they will run until I cut the power off.

Kjnkid

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2016
I tried with a 500w powersupply i had installed in the pc. Thats what I first thought it was. So a got a 700w to try it out. As for a differnt pc I dont have one on hand. What's weird is the fans on the gpu run and everything, it seems like it would be working but its like it turns on just enough to run the fans and the cd drives but doesn't go any father. They don't turn off either they will run until I cut the power off.
This is very interesting case. I'm subscribing.

Can you try with different power supply? Can you also try that GPU in another system?
My thoughts is it broke during shipping but am alil confused with the fans running and all. I hate to throw it away incase I missed something

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts is it broke during shipping but am alil confused with the fans running and all. I hate to throw it away incase I missed something
I had this case in the past: If I would turn off my PC, open the case, clean it, then close the case & tried to run on, it wouldn't post. Fans were spinning, everything seemed like it was turning on, but there was no signal on monitor & PC was restarting continuously. Then I would turn off, wait a bit, try to turn on again & it would boot normally. I still didn't figure out what was the problem & what was causing this strange behavior.