Question RTX dead cards

Nate_30

Honorable
Nov 13, 2016
I'm building a new computer soon, and was planning on buying an RTX 2070 for it, but I've recently stumbled across several reports and complaints that the RTX line of cards have been artifacting and dying all over the place. Is it worth risking, or should I get a different card, like a 1070 ti or a 1080?

THEearthISFLAT

Upstanding
Feb 16, 2019
it's really a toss up any way that you look at it, any card could be DOA. but, yes a lot of RTX cards have failed. buy EVGA and you wont really have to worry about warranty as much as other companies

As far as I know, it was an issue in the beginning, cards slipping past the quality checking process and ending up in market. It also happened more in the top tiers of 2080 and 2080 TI than 2070 (happened there too)
I got 2070 soon after it came to market but for me personally, its been fine. General tend with these quality failures was that it'd die pretty fast inside few hours to few days at most.

As for your alternatives, 1070Ti and 1080, they are kind of in same performance group as 2070 so.. what matters is availability and price.
general understanding so far is that DLSS isn't as good as it's been marketed at, with performance loss and same kind of applies to RTX, so unless you need those features for something else, they are just extra baggage that increases price.

So.. 1080=2070 (give or take 6-10% in 2070's favor) so.. check price.
In my opinion, 2070 runs pretty quiet and cool