[SOLVED] RTX SLI question (I've read the SLI FAQ)

Murdo

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Hi folks

In the SLI FAQ, the part about same make/brand of SLI is a little unclear (for nvidia cards)

What about brands ?
Brands don't matter,as long as they're the same card with the same memory/speeds.

What happens if the cards have different speed
For ATI cards;
One of the cards will raise/lower its clock speeds to reach the other card's speeds.
For Nvidia cards;
Well it "was" like ATI with older drivers, but with new drivers its quite different.If you use 2(or more) Nvidia cards with different clock speeds in SLI mode,none of them will change their clocks and they will perform at their default clock speed.

The first point mentions as long as they are the same card with the same memory/speeds but the second point mentions that if they are different speeds, makes no difference, each card will run at its default.

So, just to be clear here... If I got two RTX 2080 Ti, they can be different brands @ different default clocks, as long as they are same base model, the 2080 ti?

So I was looking at the following combo's

Palit RTX 2080 ti GamingPro OC
Palit RTX 2080 ti GamingPro Dual (so no OC)

or

MSI RTX 2080 ti Gaming X Trio X

Seems like I will be fine either combo because they are all RTX 2080ti's?

Please note, I don't want to get into a debate on whether it's worth the money or why those models or anything like that, purely interested in compatibility :)

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
According NVIDIA, these are some of the FAQs:

Can I mix and match graphics cards that have different GPUs?
No. For example, an XXXGT cannot be paired with a XXXGTX in an SLI configuration.

Can I mix and match graphics cards from different manufacturers?
Using 180 or later graphics drivers, NVIDIA graphics cards from different manufacturers can be used together in an SLI configuration. For example, a GeForce XXXGT from manufacturer ABC can be matched with a GeForce XXXGT from manufacturer XYZ.

Can I mix and match graphics cards if one of them is overclocked by the manufacturer?
Yes. A GeForce XXXX GTX that is overclocked can be mixed with a standard clocked GeForce XXXX...
So I was looking at the following combo's

Palit RTX 2080 ti GamingPro Dual (so no OC)

or

MSI RTX 2080 ti Gaming X Trio X

Seems like I will be fine either combo because they are all RTX 2080ti's?

As long as the SPCES match for example CUDA cores, and the GPU base model/chip is same, you should be fine with this SLI setup. The GPU brand does not matter...

Reactions: Murdo

No. For example, an XXXGT cannot be paired with a XXXGTX in an SLI configuration.

Using 180 or later graphics drivers, NVIDIA graphics cards from different manufacturers can be used together in an SLI configuration. For example, a GeForce XXXGT from manufacturer ABC can be matched with a GeForce XXXGT from manufacturer XYZ.

Can I mix and match graphics cards if one of them is overclocked by the manufacturer?
Yes. A GeForce XXXX GTX that is overclocked can be mixed with a standard clocked GeForce XXXX GTX.

Reactions: Murdo
Solution

Murdo

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
As long as the SPCES match for example CUDA cores, and the GPU base model/chip is same, you should be fine with this SLI setup. The GPU brand does not matter...

Thank you very much.

Yes. A GeForce XXXX GTX that is overclocked can be mixed with a standard clocked GeForce XXXX GTX.

Very helpful and appreciate the reference info. Cheers.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
By the way, why are you going for an SLI setup, that too two of the flagship RTX 2080 Ti's ? I mean to say, SLI is kind of dead in the water. Not many games have proper SLI support. It's also not worth the hassle these days, at least for Gaming.

But what's the main goal/purpose of this PC, GAMING, or doing some other work like Rendering, Video editing ?