[SOLVED] RTX Vega 56 card still adequate?

Jun 10, 2021
I POSTED THIS HERE BECAUSE A GAMING SYSTEM IS ALL ABOUT THE GPU THESE DAYS.

System:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
16 Gb RAM
RTX Vega 56
1Tb M.2
1Tb SSD
TUF B350M - Plus Gaming motherboard
ThermalTake micro ATX case (poor cooling / heat issues)
Old 850w power supply (with a noisy fan)

Basic question, is this Vega 56 still adequate system for current games? And, if so, how much more life could I possibly expect from this system?

The most recent games that I have played are Red Dead Redemption 2 and MechWarrior 5, both of which cause this system to generate far too much heat.

Wondering if this system is worth transferring into a mid-tower with upgraded cooling and replacing the old power supply, or if I would be better off putting up the cash for a new system?

I could potentially afford to build a new system, but the only way to get a decent GPU is to buy a prebuilt system, which inflates the price even more. Also, I absolutely HATE this trend of cases with glass panels and fancy lighting, and that seems to be the only case style being offered on pre-built systems these days. I prefer a system so black that light can't escape it's gravity. The only things that should be visible with the lights off are the monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Solution
Definitely, the Vega 56 seems to be equal to the 1660ti.

I'd definitely call it a solid mid-end gpu, you should be able to run new AAA games at 1080@60fps medium for a while.

Prebuilts are a viable option but still cost a lot, If I were you i'd move to a mid-tower case (I'd personally recommend the P500 non digital rgb) or the corsair meshify. Both have great cooling and air-flow.

Most pre-builts cheap out on the power-supply and there cases usually have crap air-flow, I think gamers nexus recommended/pointed out some good ones that you could check out. However you already have a build and you can at least move the ram and storage into a new build (probably the CPU also since the 3600 is still solid) which would save ~$300...

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020

I'd definitely call it a solid mid-end gpu, you should be able to run new AAA games at 1080@60fps medium for a while.

Prebuilts are a viable option but still cost a lot, If I were you i'd move to a mid-tower case (I'd personally recommend the P500 non digital rgb) or the corsair meshify. Both have great cooling and air-flow.

Most pre-builts cheap out on the power-supply and there cases usually have crap air-flow, I think gamers nexus recommended/pointed out some good ones that you could check out. However you already have a build and you can at least move the ram and storage into a new build (probably the CPU also since the 3600 is still solid) which would save ~$300 assuming the prebuilt isnt marking them up (which they will)

Honestly I'd keep your current build for another year and then when the market returns to normal sell your GPU and upgrade to a better one, your CPU is still pretty solid and shouldn't bottleneck.

Hell, if I were you I'd go for a 3060 or a 3060ti and see if you can buy one now, then once you get one install it in your rig then sell your current GPU. You might be able to make a profit even depending on how much you can sell the current GPU for.

TL;DR: I would start upgrading your current rig, buy a new case then try and get a 3000/6000 series GPU, sell your current graphics card once you get a new one (As it will sell for a lot more now than in a years time) then you have a solid build that will last you for years to come. If you need to upgrade the CPU I would go for the 11400f rn (My friend put a CPU/mobo together for $300)

Reactions: Maltheist
Solution
Jun 10, 2021

Most pre-builts cheap out on the power-supply and there cases usually have crap air-flow, I think gamers nexus recommended/pointed out some good ones that you could check out. However you already have a build and you can at least move the ram and storage into a new build (probably the CPU also since the 3600 is still solid) which would save ~$300 assuming the prebuilt isnt marking them up (which they will)

Honestly I'd keep your current build for another year and then when the market returns to normal sell your GPU and upgrade to a better one, your CPU is still pretty solid and shouldn't bottleneck.

Hell, if I were you I'd go for a 3060 or a 3060ti and see if you can buy one now, then once you get one install it in your rig then sell your current GPU. You might be able to make a profit even depending on how much you can sell the current GPU for.

TL;DR: I would start upgrading your current rig, buy a new case then try and get a 3000/6000 series GPU, sell your current graphics card once you get a new one (As it will sell for a lot more now than in a years time) then you have a solid build that will last you for years to come. If you need to upgrade the CPU I would go for the 11400f rn (My friend put a CPU/mobo together for $300)

Thank you very much for your feedback, GameCrucnh.

I will take your advice and work with what I have for now. I have a pretty decent old mid-tower sitting around empty from an old build. I will just get a new power supply to replace the failing one, and wait until I get the chance to pick up a good GPU at a decent price before completely starting over with a new build.

Thanks again.

if heat is your biggest issue I would start with a new bigger case with good ventilation and use it as a platform for the build you hope to have in the future. eventually, parts availability and high prices should come back to earth and you can get what you need as they do

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Very much so, the 56 is a few rungs above the performance tier from the mainstream gaming rig with 1060/RX 570/1650S. It's about on par with 1080, and I'm still rocking it today.

It's easy to get lost in the hype and undoubtedly high benchmark numbers with the RTX 3000 series, but then again the RTX 3000 series was more of a revolution --it's not the norm, not yet.

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020
I said it before but I'd like to go in more detail. If you want to upgrade and your dedicated now is actually a pretty good time (If you go for the FE) since second hand parts sell for significantly more than they normally would, a 1080ti can sell for $700 which is enough to cover the cost of a 3080 (excluding tax)

What a lot of people seem to be doing is joining stock-notification discords to get a new 3000/6000 series GPU and then sell there old GPU (Only sell it once you get your new card)

It might be pretty hard and it will definitely take at least a month but if you want to upgrade it can be rewarding, I only paid ~$80 to upgrade my 1080ti to a 3080

Note: I'd only go to best buy for it since they are the only ones with the founders editions and anything else is seriously over-priced.

Of course for you its not really needed considering vega 56 is upper mid-end.

Paulie walnuts1888

Commendable
Jun 3, 2021
vega 56 is amazing, if you cool it enough it has potential to rival 2070, 185w stock bios can only go up to 1650ish mhz, i got 1850 stable on the red dragon 64 bios (alongside a lot of cooling)