RTX, worth the risk

Solution

Right now there is only one game that has any ray tracing support (BFV) and it really hurts performance. So you would need to play at 1080p. So yeah, waiting is perfectly fine because there are no games that support it yet. By the time there are a few games that support ray tracing and it is being somewhat optimized, there will be a new GPU out.
Aug 21, 2018
Im planning on doing a 2k 165 hz monitor set up, not interested in 4k market also im thinking of upgrading from a 1080 ti and i dont want to compromise the vram from 11gb to 8gb thus the 2080 ti option.

The VRAM difference wont matter at 1440p. I would not make my decision based on that.

If I were you, I would wait and hold onto your 1080ti (I am doing the same). In my opinion, the 2080ti is too expensive and does not give a big enough performance boost over your 1080ti. The only reason to get one is for 4k/144hz gaming. The 1080ti is very good at 1440p and I dont think you would notice much of a real world difference other than benchmark scores (unless you want the ray tracing).

Right now there is only one game that has any ray tracing support (BFV) and it really hurts performance. So you would need to play at 1080p. So yeah, waiting is perfectly fine because there are no games that support it yet. By the time there are a few games that support ray tracing and it is being somewhat optimized, there will be a new GPU out.

Solution