[SOLVED] RTX2060 Final Decision

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
Hello, recently I have been doing many posts on the most suitable GPU, and dedicating my time to finding the best GPU for around £300. And I concluded getting the RTX2060. I am getting one from amazon found here. I decided to go for the 2060 as it is the best for the price, the RX5700 practically runs the same but I don't have a good power supply for it and I will go into the Power Supply in a minute. The 2060 super is also not on my list as I won't benefit from it regardless and it is £100 more. I will be playing at 1080p 60hz and mostly play AAA titles such as red dead redemption 2 etc and a tiny bit of competitive games. I also don't benefit from overclocking therefore that is off my list. I also would like to use RTX, even if I don't get 60fps. So I just need a few answers. Firstly, will a CX450 (grey label 2017) be enough to power the 2060 without any overclocks and my fps being capped at 60? Secondly, will I be able to achieve 60fps on maximum settings in every game? Finally is it a significant upgrade over my GTX1050. My specifications are listed below:

-GTX1050
-Ryzen 5 2600
-16gb @ 3200mhz RAM
-B450m-a
-CX450

Also how warm does the RTX2060 tend to run and is there anything I should consider before switching out GPU's. Cheers! I am really excited to get the RTX2060!

Solution
I have both a RTX 2060 and a RTX 2080 and I used to play on a 1080p monitor with both of these cards so I can speak from experience.

You will not be able to achieve a locked 60 fps on maximum settings for many AAA games, particularly Red Dead Redemption 2, which is notoriously hard on GPUs. Be that as it may, the 2060 is a huge upgrade over the 1050: link here

How hot it runs depends on many things:
  1. The cooling setup on the GPU
  2. The fan profile of the GPU
  3. How good your PC case ventilation is
  4. What load you are putting on your GPU (the more its maxed out, the more heat it'll produce).

Your power supply will probably be fine, but you're on the edge.
I have both a RTX 2060 and a RTX 2080 and I used to play on a 1080p monitor with both of these cards so I can speak from experience.

You will not be able to achieve a locked 60 fps on maximum settings for many AAA games, particularly Red Dead Redemption 2, which is notoriously hard on GPUs. Be that as it may, the 2060 is a huge upgrade over the 1050: link here

4. What load you are putting on your GPU (the more its maxed out, the more heat it'll produce).

Solution

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020

Red Dead Redemption 2 and some unoptimised games I know they won't be able to run on max but let's put it in a way of, 60fps on acceptable settings. And also to put it, I get terrible screen tearing and will need vsync so I won't put on much load, but cooling isn't my worst issue. I thank you for your answer. Just also a simple yes or no answer, will a 6+2 pin be fine for an 8pin, (let me know if the 2060 isn't 8pin) because I want to make sure. Thanks!

Yes, the 2060 is a 8 pin card; I myself use the 6+2 PCIe cable that came with my Corsair AX1000.

FYI, back before I had my 4k g-sync monitor, I was using a non-gaming Dell 4k monitor. With V-Sync on, I could get GPU utilization as high as 95% which was more than enough to get GPU temperatures up. In other words, you can absolutely put a heavy load on your GPU when using V-sync; it doesn't depend on whether you have V-sync on or not. Just sayin.

Red Dead Redemption 2 and some unoptimised games I know they won't be able to run on max but let's put it in a way of, 60fps on acceptable settings. And also to put it, I get terrible screen tearing and will need vsync so I won't put on much load, but cooling isn't my worst issue. I thank you for your answer. Just also a simple yes or no answer, will a 6+2 pin be fine for an 8pin, (let me know if the 2060 isn't 8pin) because I want to make sure. Thanks!

A 6+2 pin is an 8 Pin so the answer is yes.

I personally would have put consideration into a 5600xt aswell, it's on par with the 2060 and is generally £20 less.

The sapphire pulse (possibly the best 5600xt model there is) is less than £280

Reactions: Forz

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
A 6+2 pin is an 8 Pin so the answer is yes.

I personally would have put consideration into a 5600xt aswell, it's on par with the 2060 and is generally £20 less.

The sapphire pulse (possibly the best 5600xt model there is) is less than £280
I looked into the RX5600XT but I decided not to get it, even if it sometimes gets more FPS. Firstly, there was a 3 fan version for 270, and all of the other ones were for the same price as the 2060. I went for the 2060 though for better power management, Nvidia Software because I got used to it, drivers and Ray Tracing because I will use it.

Also as a little side note, I went from thinking of getting an RX580 > 590 > GTX1660ti > GTX1660 super > RX5600XT > RTX2060 and I switched my thoughts quite a lot and had plans for the 580 but I ended up getting a lot more money so here I am. But thanks for the 5600xt but even if I was supposed to buy it, I have already ordered the 2060 for thursday :p

I looked into the RX5600XT but I decided not to get it, even if it sometimes gets more FPS. Firstly, there was a 3 fan version for 270, and all of the other ones were for the same price as the 2060. I went for the 2060 though for better power management, Nvidia Software because I got used to it, drivers and Ray Tracing because I will use it.

Also as a little side note, I went from thinking of getting an RX580 > 590 > GTX1660ti > GTX1660 super > RX5600XT > RTX2060 and I switched my thoughts quite a lot and had plans for the 580 but I ended up getting a lot more money so here I am. But thanks for the 5600xt but even if I was supposed to buy it, I have already ordered the 2060 for thursday :p

Sure you'll be happy, had a similar situation myself coming from a gtx 970.

I ended up with the 5700xt simply beacuse at the price point I paid, nvidia couldn't match.
Running 1440p so the 2060/5600xt wouldn't quite have cut it.

You're running a huge upgrade from a 1050, you won't be disappointed.

You have no issue with the cx450, it'll run those components easily.

Reactions: Forz