[SOLVED] RTX2060s vs RX5700XT

Oct 13, 2019
Hey,
I am currently thinking about upgrading my i7-6700k 1080p build (board is from asus).

Budget: 500Euros
Usage: Gaming and programming (AAA
games like Far Cry, RDR, R6)
Current: GTX970
Preferences: Nvidia and Asus (good experience, but willing to try other brands)

Till now I am considering the RTX2060s and the RX5700XT.
Which GPU would you suggest me to buy and from which manufacturer?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Depends what you want. I went for the 2060S because my favourite game series has PhysX but otherwise I would have gone for the 5700XT. It's a much more capable card in normal games more comparable to the 2070S than the 2060S. If you want to look at models for it look at the Hardware Unboxed YouTube channel I think they have about 5 different 5700XT cards reviewed at present.

For the 2060S I have the MSI Armor variant and all I've done is set it to game mode. Boosts to 1965Mhz at 70C in an ITX case (NZXT H200i). Only needs 1 PCIE 8 pin too. The new Armor cards are basically last gens Gaming X coolers with aesthetic changes.

HOWEVER. That CPU is only a quad core which some games don't like (Looking at Borderlands 3). If you can stretch...

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
5700xt performs a bit better...technically...but you pay the early adopter tax of unstable drivers and software.

Do you want a bit more performance while having to deal with some issues, or would you take a little bit of a performance hit for perfectly stable software and drivers? Your answer will tell you which to go with...

Reactions: marcikque
Oct 13, 2019
Do you want a bit more performance while having to deal with some issues, or would you take a little bit of a performance hit for perfectly stable software and drivers? Your answer will tell you which to go with...
Yeah, then I would definitely prefer the 2060s... Thanks a lot for making this easy^^

Btw, do you recommend any special manufacturer?

Aug 2, 2019
if you care about ray tracing and stable driver go for Nvidia 2060 super. But AMD rx 5700 xt is faster than 2060 super. its even faster than 2070 and almost go toe to toe with 2070 super. It's launch driver was a mess but it's getting better and better...

For Nvidia manufacture, It depends on your preference. For budget zotac is good but if you prefer more features like RGB, more cooling system, overclocking etc go for MSI gaming X or ASUS rog strix.

For AMD AIB manufature, you can buy any brands except these XFX , ASUS rog strix, MSI Evock, Gigabyte gaming oc(their gpu junction, Vrm temparature gets way hotter). PowerColor Red Devil is the best 5700 xt right now. Sapphire pulse is also very good.

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
Depends on your budget and if you plan to overclock. They are all about the same, some have better/quieter cooling, some have better stock clocks but those don't really matter as they all boost about the same. Its all preference really...I have an MSI Gaming X Trio because I wanted the best and quietest cooling. Some people like EVGA for their service (though the only card I've been had die on me was an EVGA). Gigabyte gives good bang for the buck, Asus I feel charges too much...I don't know about smaller brands...

Depends what you want. I went for the 2060S because my favourite game series has PhysX but otherwise I would have gone for the 5700XT. It's a much more capable card in normal games more comparable to the 2070S than the 2060S. If you want to look at models for it look at the Hardware Unboxed YouTube channel I think they have about 5 different 5700XT cards reviewed at present.

For the 2060S I have the MSI Armor variant and all I've done is set it to game mode. Boosts to 1965Mhz at 70C in an ITX case (NZXT H200i). Only needs 1 PCIE 8 pin too. The new Armor cards are basically last gens Gaming X coolers with aesthetic changes.

HOWEVER. That CPU is only a quad core which some games don't like (Looking at Borderlands 3). If you can stretch it by selling stuff look at upgrading to a R5 3600 and that'll net you a decent performance bump. Oh and you'll need 3000+Mhz RAM.

Solution