[SOLVED] RTX2060Super problem with G-Sync

Nov 11, 2019
Hi, while playing games with GSync enabled I noticed that distinctive flickering while I am changing tabs in menu or return to the game from desktop. Without Gsync game is running smooth, monitor is MSI MAG321CQR with FreeSync, is this drivers, monitor or my gpu?
Link to the video:
View: https://vimeo.com/372473522

Solution
Free Sync is only for AMD gpu, and it should has been compatibile with Gsync recently, I just wanted working Gsync, i dont know what to do, maybe I'll change monitor and if it occur one more time I turn off Gsync and forget about it.

If you want to go through that hassle then by all means, you do you. If you were going for a 144Hz 1440p monitor I would suggest getting a better video card too. 2060 super is okay but you won't get 144FPS on most high-end titles unless you're on medium qualities.
It's the monitor, I have the same one. It does not support gsync and is not on the approved list of gsync compatible monitors on NVidia's own list.

Some people have gotten it to work by enabling Freesync first, THEN gsync. You can enable gysnc either through the OSD Software for the monitor or if you can't try getting AMD's catalyst controls.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019
It's the monitor, I have the same one. It does not support gsync and is not on the approved list of gsync compatible monitors on NVidia's own list.
I have heard that free sync is compatibile with G sync thus it should run smooth i think. Do you think should I change this monitor for sometthing else? Do you have same issues with this monitor, I like it, nice colors and view. Greetings

I have heard that free sync is compatibile with G sync thus it should run smooth i think. Do you think should I change this monitor for sometthing else? Do you have same issues with this monitor, I like it, nice colors and view. Greetings

Read what I just wrote above, it's OFFICIALLY not compatible with gsync but some people have gotten it to work by enabling FREESYNC first THEN enabling gsync. Enabling gsync first will only get you that flickering, others have tried it as well and get the same issues.

And no I wouldn't recommend switching it out for another, it's a perfectly good monitor I enjoy it a lot too. I have not had those issues because I have not enabled gsync because I know it's not supported. Just try to enable freesync first.

Nov 11, 2019
Read what I just wrote above, it's OFFICIALLY not compatible with gsync but some people have gotten it to work by enabling FREESYNC first THEN enabling gsync. Enabling gsync first will only get you that flickering, others have tried it as well and get the same issues.

And no I wouldn't recommend switching it out for another, it's a perfectly good monitor I enjoy it a lot too. I have not had those issues because I have not enabled gsync because I know it's not supported. Just try to enable freesync first.
I understand, but I dont know what about you talking about if I dont enable free sync in monitor from its settings then in nvdia control panel gsync dont show up. First I turn on Free Sync in my monitor then in nvidia panel enable Gsync.

WildCard999

Titan
Good read.

Reactions: mathias121
Ok, thanks, I have every new driver from Nvidia, checked it in nvidia experience.

I believe the mag321cqr came with a 1.4 DP cable, which is the highest the monitor supports as well, so it shouldn't be the cable if you're using that cable.

Chances are our monitor doesn't support gsync AT ALL. I'll have to test it out when I get home, but I have a 2080Ti, so I rarely ever dip below 144 FPS to notice any tearing.

Reactions: mathias121
Nov 11, 2019
I believe the mag321cqr came with a 1.4 DP cable, which is the highest the monitor supports as well, so it shouldn't be the cable if you're using that cable.

Chances are our monitor doesn't support gsync AT ALL. I'll have to test it out when I get home, but I have a 2080Ti, so I rarely ever dip below 144 FPS to notice any tearing.
Our ports are 1.2 so cable should be the same i think, even if I dont manage to fix this do you think I miss much from lack of Gsync? RTX2060 Super ASUS OC - GPU and i5 9600k - cpu.

Our ports are 1.2 so cable should be the same i think, even if I dont manage to fix this do you think I miss much from lack of Gsync? RTX2060 Super ASUS OC - GPU and i5 9600k - cpu.

Nah, freesync should be just fine if anything. They may be different but their main goal is the same; remove screen tearing. And the RTX series supports freesync. Again, I'll test it out later. Also the difference between DP ports 1.2 and 1.4 shouldn't affect freesync/gsync, 1.4 is primarily for 8K support and 10Bit color depths, our monitor is obviously only 2k with 8bit color depth, so there should be no issue in data bandwidth.

Nov 11, 2019
Free Sync is only for AMD gpu, and it should has been compatibile with Gsync recently, I just wanted working Gsync, i dont know what to do, maybe I'll change monitor and if it occur one more time I turn off Gsync and forget about it.

If you want to go through that hassle then by all means, you do you. If you were going for a 144Hz 1440p monitor I would suggest getting a better video card too. 2060 super is okay but you won't get 144FPS on most high-end titles unless you're on medium qualities.

Solution