Question RTX2070 bottlenecking an i7-8750H

Nov 30, 2019
I recently bought the new MSI GE63 Raider laptop that comes equipped with an i7-8750H and an RTX2070, 15.6" FHD 144Hz display. I expected amazing gaming results, however I was really disappointed when I started gaming and got terribly lower than supposed-to FPS. Yes, my laptop is plugged in, and I have the high-performance Nvidia driver as the preferred one, drivers are up to date.
Game tested: Rainbow Six Siege
Expected FPS according to benchmarks: 120+ on Ultra 1080p
Actual FPS: ~50
CPU/GPU Usage: 100/30-40
Specs: i7-8750H/RTX2070/16GB RAM/1TBHDD+256SSDnVME/1080p144Hz
I solved the problem by connecting the laptop to an external display but I dont always want to game on an external monitor.
Is there a possible fix?

Nov 30, 2019
is ur external display, also 144 hz... also y connecting an external display increase performance, its wierd...
do a benchmark test on ur laptop, and see if there is a difference... maybe a driver conflict...
my external display is 60Hz
connecting to the external display increases performance because the hdmi is connected directly to the nvidia gpu, whereas the laptop display is connected to the intel uhd630 graphics

Jan 24, 2020
Did you solve your problem? You can select gpu over igpu in Nvidia Control Panel under 3d settings tab. Mess around, you will see what I'm talking about.

magz1990nine

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
I hope that you've resolved this issue, but for the benefit of anyone who hasn't, NVIDIA Control Panel>Manage 3D settings>Program Settings tab>Select Program to Customize (Select the exe. for the desired game, TESV.exe for Skyrim for example) Once you've selected the exe. you can select the GPU to run for that program. Additionally, I believe you can right click the exe. in the game folder and select which GPU to run it with. Although, the latter may be a feature on some of the more dated and archaic NVIDIA software.

TRENDING THREADS