[SOLVED] rtx2070 low fps in game

Nov 6, 2018
New pc build. i7 8700, gigabyte geforce rtx 2070, gigabyte z370, 16gb ddr4 3k.

Specifically having problems in Black Ops 4, when I first loaded it up it ran great, 140+ fps but over the course of about 3 hours (not palying in that time) it now runs around 25-35 fps.

I've tried a handful of BlackOps specific fixes I've googled but now I'm stuck.

Solution
Your CPU is throttling hard - it's running at 800 MHz. This also explains the 36°C CPU temperature under load that I just noticed in your earlier post, and a less demanding game title using 85% of a 12-thread CPU...

There doesn't seem to be a temperature problem and I can't see how the CPU could draw too much power at 800 MHz, so...

I can see a couple of things that could have gone wrong:

1. Power delivery: Maybe the CPU is not getting enough power. Cut off power to the system from the PSU switch. Check that all of: 24-pin power cable, the 4-pin attachment included in the 24-pin, and the 4- or 8-pin CPU power (above the CPU socket) are all attached and properly seated and connected to the proper receptacle in the PSU.

2. BIOS...

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
Did you fiddle with your hardware setup in the 3 hours time at all? Like reconnecting monitor cable? To the iGPU instead of the RTX 2070? ;-)

Have you checked the temperatures of both your CPU and your GPU? Maybe the CPU fan cable (or the heatsink itself) has come loose or something?

Nov 6, 2018
I've restarted multiple times. Memory usage tops out around 45% while playing, Black Ops 4 btw. And I didn't change any hardware in the 3 hours. CPU tops out at 36C, GPU at 57C in game. Using CoreTemp and OpenHardwareMonitor to check temps.

My CPU usage is hitting 85% during game also.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
Just a thought, but did you leave the computer on for the 3 hours? If it's a new build, Windows may have updated some drivers and either used old ones or botched the install otherwise.

Maybe reinstall GPU drivers, and if that doesn't help, remove+DDU(*+install.

*) DDU = Display Driver Uninstaller. A tool that you run in safe mode, that makes sure that all traces of a display driver are removed from the system, and also disables automatic driver installation by Windows Update upon the next boot, so you can install from the file you've downloaded.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
Your CPU is throttling hard - it's running at 800 MHz. This also explains the 36°C CPU temperature under load that I just noticed in your earlier post, and a less demanding game title using 85% of a 12-thread CPU...

There doesn't seem to be a temperature problem and I can't see how the CPU could draw too much power at 800 MHz, so...

I can see a couple of things that could have gone wrong:

1. Power delivery: Maybe the CPU is not getting enough power. Cut off power to the system from the PSU switch. Check that all of: 24-pin power cable, the 4-pin attachment included in the 24-pin, and the 4- or 8-pin CPU power (above the CPU socket) are all attached and properly seated and connected to the proper receptacle in the PSU.

2. BIOS Problem. Some kind of "safe" operating mode may have been engaged (due to an error or power spike). To reset, cut off power completely from the system for ~15 seconds from the switch in the PSU.

(1 and 2 could be connected: The computer may have run happily for a while without proper power connections, but once the UEFI realizes there isn't enough power, it may have set the CPU permanently to throttled mode.)

3. BIOS problem. Especially for new platforms, BIOS versions often have hard to track bugs that sometimes have odd effects on the system. Try resetting the BIOS, and updating to the latest one.

Solution