[SOLVED] Rtx3070 and future proof game?

Michalgnor

Reputable
Sep 7, 2019
Hi, I wanted to share something I read:
''The 3070+ are there for people who want the bleeding edge now and don’t care about losing resell value.
That said strictly 1080p 144hrz is your best best option if you want to game comfortably for a long time.''
What I read in an article made me think a lot. My processor is a: i7 9700k and my gpu is zotac rtx3070.
My requirement in games would be: I want to keep high fps and high / ultra quality over the years without having too much trouble changing settings.
This got me thinking:
should I then buy a 1080p monitor at 144 hz, 240 hz?
If in the future the '' level '' will increase and I have no intention of changing my card for the next 3/4 years, would this be the most ideal solution? My idea is to keep the high and ultra settings and great fps even for games that will come out in the future.
What do you think? is this a fair reasoning?

Solution
that depends on your personal preference.
maybe if you have limited nearsighted capability a 1080p display would be fine for desktop gaming.
or maybe you've just never had the experience of a higher resolution and don't have any personal reference for the differences.

i wouldn't use 1080p for any screen larger than 24".
and i definitely wouldn't use any screen smaller than 27" for desktop gaming.

4 years ago the GTX 1080 Ti was the top of line GeForce card.
by the beginning of this year i was barely passing 60fps in the most demanding games with a mix of med-high settings and with some features disabled.
if things continue on that trend, considering that the RTX 3070 is a mid-tier card,
even using 1080p with max settings in a very...
maybe if you have limited nearsighted capability a 1080p display would be fine for desktop gaming.
or maybe you've just never had the experience of a higher resolution and don't have any personal reference for the differences.

by the beginning of this year i was barely passing 60fps in the most demanding games with a mix of med-high settings and with some features disabled.
if things continue on that trend, considering that the RTX 3070 is a mid-tier card,
even using 1080p with max settings in a very demanding game two years from now you may only be reaching that or less.

Reactions: Michalgnor
Solution

Michalgnor

Reputable
Sep 7, 2019

even using 1080p with max settings in a very demanding game two years from now you may only be reaching that or less.
so the ideal solution as i said is to have a 1080p monitor? (anyway yes max 24 inch)

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
What the previous poster is trying to say is that even if your hardware stays the same the newer games won’t, they will be more demanding. As an example in 2013 I could play the Codemaster’s Formula One games in 1080p with max settings on my i7-3770k with an GTX 780. Two years later and I was having to dial back the settings to achieve 60fps.

So basically even if the hardware stays the same the newer games get more demanding on the hardware.

should I then buy a 1080p monitor
what are you currently using?
so the ideal solution as i said is to have a 1080p monitor?
i don't believe you will be able to reach very high frame rates with very high settings in the most demanding games even two years from now.
the ideal solution would be to get a more powerful card and use a bigger & better display.
but with the market as it is, this may not be possible for some time.

my RX 6700 XT is on par with the RTX 3070 and i average ~75fps in very demanding games with mostly highest settings @ 3440x1440.
though i plan on upgrading as soon as it's possible to something better.
lowering the resolution to 1920x1080 it reaches into the lower 100s in Cyberpunk 2077.
so i wouldn't expect to be maxing a 144Hz refresh rate even now.

the ideal solution would've been to get a more powerful card that offered the performance you're hoping to have down the road, not a mid-tier card.
the ideal solution for now though would be to just enjoy it with the best possible setup.
if 1080p on a very small screen is fine for you than go for it.

just keep in mind that you may have to upgrade sooner than you're hoping to keep up the performance you want to see.

Michalgnor

Reputable
Sep 7, 2019
what are you currently using?

i don't believe you will be able to reach very high frame rates with very high settings in the most demanding games even two years from now.
the ideal solution would be to get a more powerful card and use a bigger & better display.
but with the market as it is, this may not be possible for some time.

my RX 6700 XT is on par with the RTX 3070 and i average ~75fps in very demanding games with mostly highest settings @ 3440x1440.
though i plan on upgrading as soon as it's possible to something better.
lowering the resolution to 1920x1080 it reaches into the lower 100s in Cyberpunk 2077.
so i wouldn't expect to be maxing a 144Hz refresh rate even now.

the ideal solution would've been to get a more powerful card that offered the performance you're hoping to have down the road, not a mid-tier card.
the ideal solution for now though would be to just enjoy it with the best possible setup.
if 1080p on a very small screen is fine for you than go for it.

just keep in mind that you may have to upgrade sooner than you're hoping to keep up the performance you want to see.
What the previous poster is trying to say is that even if your hardware stays the same the newer games won’t, they will be more demanding. As an example in 2013 I could play the Codemaster’s Formula One games in 1080p with max settings on my i7-3770k with an GTX 780. Two years later and I was having to dial back the settings to achieve 60fps.

So basically even if the hardware stays the same the newer games get more demanding on the hardware.

Yes, of course, the reasoning is very very clear.
Except that my thought was: If today a 3070 can handle a game in 1440p well, maybe in 2 years more performing games, I will have to scale in 1080p to reach the high / ultra quality I want.
So is my thinking wrong?
At the moment I don't have any monitor, I'm using a tv.
I'll have to buy it, that's why I asked.

If today a 3070 can handle a game in 1440p well, maybe in 2 years more performing games, I will have to scale in 1080p to reach the high / ultra quality I want.
So is my thinking wrong?
there's no way to tell.
sometimes games' graphical quality may seem to stagnate for a few years at a time.
other times they seem to make large leaps over short periods.
there's no way to measure how it will increase or how much more power it may take to run them with good settings.

i would go ahead and get a nice 1440p monitor and if the performance in games really gets to be too low for comfort you can always lower the resolution in-game or use some dynamic resolution options in games that offer it.

Michalgnor

Reputable
Sep 7, 2019
there's no way to tell.
sometimes games' graphical quality may seem to stagnate for a few years at a time.
other times they seem to make large leaps over short periods.
there's no way to measure how it will increase or how much more power it may take to run them with good settings.

i would go ahead and get a nice 1440p monitor and if the performance in games really gets to be too low for comfort you can always lower the resolution in-game or use some dynamic resolution options in games that offer it.
Okay, it seems clear to me.
I wanted to ask you, off topic question, it was just my crazy idea:
do you think it is worthwhile since I have a little budget to sell the 3070 to buy the 3080ti?

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Okay, it seems clear to me.
I wanted to ask you, off topic question, it was just my crazy idea:
do you think it is worthwhile since I have a little budget to sell the 3070 to buy the 3080ti?
That’s not off topic but no, that’s not a good idea. The RTX 3080TI is built to take advantage of higher resolutions like 4K. You also would need a current CPU like a 10th gen i7 or i9 CPU or a Ryzen 5xxx CPU and fast DDR4 RAM. Without those you will bottleneck the 3080TI.